Suvarnabhumi airport and phone check

I went to Kuala Lumpur for a few days and, upon returning to the airport, they checked my luggage (nothing strange), but also the contents of my phone (first time this has happened to me): is it a normal procedure or have I just been caught randomly by the customs agent?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mika78 said:

I went to Kuala Lumpur for a few days and, upon returning to the airport, they checked my luggage (nothing strange), but also the contents of my phone (first time this has happened to me): is it a normal procedure or have I just been caught randomly by the customs agent?

Did you ask them why? I would, (in a friendly way) out of curiosity. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Actually, no. They took me aside and checked my bags. While one of them checked the bags, two of them took the phone and checked it. Having nothing to hide, I didn't worry about them checking my phone.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mika78 said:

Actually, no. They took me aside and checked my bags. While one of them checked the bags, two of them took the phone and checked it. Having nothing to hide, I didn't worry about them checking my phone.

Understand. I have been subjected to a detailed examination of my hand luggage by security when departing from Manchester Airport. The only item that the guard commented upon was my camcorder (this was a digital mini tape cassette type). He didn't view anything. I didn't have a mobile phone (of any type) at that time.

• Confused 1

Just now, BangkokHank said:

YOU might think that you have nothing to hide. But it all depends on what they are looking for. In any case, this is a gross violation of privacy. It is unacceptable.

If they searched my WhatsApp they only found work chats, with my family and with some  ladies scattered here and there in Thailand. The same if they searched in the application called Line. If they looked at the gallery they will have found some photos taken during some short time, but nothing illegal and a lot of families photos. OThey checked the phone and gave it back to me without asking me anything.

• Thanks 1

Just now, impulse said:

Just for clarification, does that mean they looked at your "not unlocked" phone and handed it back to you without asking you to unlock it?

They asked me to put what I had in my pockets on the counter. I took out my phone, they took it and, as i don't use any password to unlock it, they checked it and gave it back to me without asking any questions.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JackGats said:

Did they ask you to unlock your phone and hand it over to them for checking the content?

I don't use any password to unlock it. If someone stole my phone or i lose it, everyone has free access to it.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mika78 said:

I don't use any password to unlock it. If someone stole my phone or i lose it, everyone has free access to it.

Sorry but it's hard to believe someone can be so careless.

All the same, they didn't force you to unlock your phone, so it's not so bad after all. I read US customs could keep passengers under arrest as long as they didn't unlock some password-protected drives on their laptops. That is really bad.

Someone once recommended to "clean" my smartphone before traveling to Malaysia. I guess the same recommendation would apply eg to Indonesia and many African destination.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mika78 said:

That's obviously a very bad idea, can't you see that? And that's regardless of your customs experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mika78 said:

contents of my phone

Checking phone contents is so inappropriate. 

This is concerning. 

I've got some special photos of my Mrs. on my phone, mostly naked, she sends me them occasionally when we are not together. If we went abroad then returned the customs officers would be viewing them. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Also I think you may be trying clear the way prior to going anywhere for whaever devious reason. Are you wanted by some agency?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mika78 said:

'If they searched my WhatsApp they only found work chats"

That is pretty unresponsible.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

If you refuse to unlock your phone, I think you're saying goodbye to your phone (or worse).

Utter certainty