Renew a passport.

No reason why not.  My missus has Thai and Belgium passports.  She was using Belgium one in order to get into NZ easier. 

When we came back to Thailand she initially used the Belgium one but switched back on one of my visa runs to Vientiane. 

So it's possible. 

• Confused 3

Switching passports is often confusing with "how to leave TH with passport A and enter [say MY] with passport B?"
Easier than I thought, immigration officers don't give a flying banana about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Mika78 said:

With dual nationality, is it possible to renew the passport that is "not used" to legally stay in Thailand? Thank you

The PP you have your visa/extension is the only one that counts, yes you can have another countries PP but without your extension in it Immigration would not give a fig if you had 10 PP.  

Your Nationality is whatever PP your extension is in. You would have to re-apply if you wanted to change that. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you should outline exactly what you plan to do apart from renew one of your passports. 

You stated in part......

"....to legally stay in Thailand " 

What's the plan here

Here legally in Thailand with my Swiss passport and wanna renew my French one. Last visa on it back to October 2018. From that time, never use it anymore.

17 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Switching passports is often confusing with "how to leave TH with passport A and enter [say MY] with passport B?"
Easier than I thought, immigration officers don't give a flying banana about it. 

Yeah, now Thailand immigration don't care about dual citizens and can use whatever passport when coming in.  Don't have to get visa etc. Daughter just went through it

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OP: 

Simple enough... 

Renew your French Passport as you normally would.

Your stay in Thailand with your Swiss Passport has no impact on this. 

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Presnock said:

Yeah, now Thailand immigration don't care about dual citizens and can use whatever passport when coming in.  Don't have to get visa etc. Daughter just went through it

Thanks! That confused me long time. I mean I know people with dual and even triple citizenship but how do they cross borders - that was a question.

yeah and to top that, daughter lost her Thai passport she believes on the plane but immigration let her in with her Thai ID and told her to go to "lost and found" and report the loss.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Thanks! That confused me long time. I mean I know people with dual and even triple citizenship but how do they cross borders - that was a question.

Leaving the country's gonna be a problem if you switch passport and they have no record of how your identity in the other passport got in

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

what do you mean?

if you came in on one country's passport, switched while in Thailand, when you try to leave on the other passport, there won't be records of this 'new' passport coming in to Thailand 

4 minutes ago, digbeth said:

there won't be records of this 'new' passport coming in to Thailand 

Obviously!
Lucky owners of multiple citizenships don't change passports within THE country of arrival, but BETWEEN them.

Well, this used to be a good business for some - enter arrival data and stamp of arrival to TH. I guess not anymore )))

• Confused 1

while you can switch passport in the air or airport border, can you do at land border? does Thai immigration expect to see Lao or Cambodian exit stamp for the same day coming in on the same passport? 

if yes those with multiple nationalities can double their stay in Thailand without appearing to have 'stayed' in the country that much, or will the system flag up the date of birth and name? if you could change your name in one country enough would they still notice? 

On 4/15/2024 at 12:58 PM, Mika78 said:

With dual nationality, is it possible to renew the passport that is "not used" to legally stay in Thailand? Thank you

I'm Australian and have a concurrent passport (2 Australian passports). 

I applied for my concurrent passport in Thailand, over the years I have renewed the passport I don't enter Thailand on. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You must leave the country on the passport you entereed with that contains the entry stamp, doesn't matter how many passports you have.

Read your link, the guy never left the country on his '2nd passport' ( without entry stamp ).

It'll never happen unless emergency passport.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Read your link, the guy never left the country on his '2nd passport' ( without entry stamp ).

You are misunderstanding the quote I was correcting.