Qualification Options

I'm considering my future job prospects in Thailand. I'm presently studying with the UK Open University and have a number of options.

I expect to finish with a Diploma in English and a BA Degree in mixed subjects (called an 'open degree'. I would prefer a degree in English but this would require an extra year or 2 as some of my previous study won't count towards this.

So given I have these two qualifications, plus a TEFL certificate from 5 years ago, what sort of work could I expect to get at age 45, and what sort of wage? Would the English Diploma plus BA Degree be enough for teaching English in International schools? What about other subjects? Might it be better if I studied a BSc including maths so I could also teach that (maths is my strong point)?

Or, as my options are still open should I aim for a degree with honours, or a masters? Is the extra study worth it?

I am considering living working in Nakhon Sawan so do you think expectations differ once outside BKK.

Thanks for any help.

I'm considering my future job prospects in Thailand. I'm presently studying with the UK Open University and have a number of options.

I expect to finish with a Diploma in English and a BA Degree in mixed subjects (called an 'open degree'. I would prefer a degree in English but this would require an extra year or 2 as some of my previous study won't count towards this.

So given I have these two qualifications, plus a TEFL certificate from 5 years ago, what sort of work could I expect to get at age 45, and what sort of wage? Would the English Diploma plus BA Degree be enough for teaching English in International schools? What about other subjects? Might it be better if I studied a BSc including maths so I could also teach that (maths is my strong point)?

Or, as my options are still open should I aim for a degree with honours, or a masters? Is the extra study worth it?

I am considering living working in Nakhon Sawan so do you think expectations differ once outside BKK.

Thanks for any help.

Are there any international schools in NakhonSawan? No, from what I've heard about the real actual authentic international schools, they don't employ somebody with a BA in mixed subjects and some English courses. They require a B.Ed. with a major you can teach (such as physics or British Literature). If you're from the UK, they require the PCGE plus years of experience teaching in schools in the UK. They seldom teach TEFL because all the instruction is in English! My lady friend teaches ESL to new students in lower tier international schools in Thailand, and there can't be 6 full time jobs for such teachers in Chiang Mai, at roughly 60% the wages for the 'real teachers' who have a B.Ed. or PCGE. Or is the acronym PGCE; I'm not British or UKonian.

If maths is your strong points, or math is your strong point, get a BSc. in math or maths and teach that/those. But if you don't get a B.Ed. and attend a job fair or get with the right agency, you probably won't get a job offer at an international school.

I have no direct experience in this; I just prattle on about some things that I read on internet forums. :o

Simple answer, yes.

All you need is a degree in any subject and you have that. You also have a TEFL so with your degree and TEFL, you already meet any qualifications and can get legal. Add to that your Diploma in English and you are pretty well qualified.

So to answer your question, you will be able to find many jobs and get legal. Possibly, because of your additional qualification in English, you might be able to get a job in one of the lower end international schools to start with and build experience and progress from there. I know of an international school who hires teachers based on how well they communicate regardless of qualifications. Most of them have a Bachelors degree in any field but I know of one guy who did not have any degree and he still got acepted to start at 55k per month. So you will be able to get in to the system and you should not accept any job for less than 45k PM in BKK with your qualifications.