I would like to purchase some kind of mosquito fogger. Yep, I'm in CM.

bamboozled

I didn't find much using search, nothing current at least, thus my post. I have a lot of mosquitos. I think they breed underneath the house where the grey waste waters disappear. They swarm at the screens at night. Disturbing any storage boxes or bins in the carport produces swarms of them...100s fly up. Staying outside at dusk or later is impossible without bug spray. Of course, plenty get in the house, too.

Anyhow, make fun of me, call me a sissy, tell me to move home...I don't care. Has anyone purchased recently a small-scale mosquito fogger that I could use to go around once a week and take care of this situation? It's very un-fun. I've tried emptying cans of spray but that gets expensive quickly.

I prefer to do this procedure quickly myself, when needed, over trying to arrange with a service or the government. I'm a DIY type of guy. I've seen a variety of machines on Lazada but it's difficult to judge the effectiveness. One of the more pro looking guns mentioned having to mix diesel 3:1 with the killing liquid. Is that the best type to buy? Seems to me, the government guy that comes around sometimes does produce a slightly diesel smelling smoke so that might be a good sign. The one I looked at was about 2400 baht.

Anyone with hands-on experience here?

Thanks all!

And you want to further poison the air?  Can you perhaps get village to do the deed on a one time basis?  Once population reset they do not seem to increase quickly.  Here in Bangkok used below units and within few days almost none and units easily keep them under control for last few years.  The good thing is they seem to only attract mosquitos.  Not cheap but nothing to run out and easy to clean.

PORTOTI Mosquito Killer PR-25MB

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And you want to further poison the air?  Can you perhaps get village to do the deed on a one time basis?  Once population reset they do not seem to increase quickly.  Here in Bangkok used below units and within few days almost none and units easily keep them under control for last few years.  The good thing is they seem to only attract mosquitos.  Not cheap but nothing to run out and easy to clean.

PORTOTI Mosquito Killer PR-25MB

I bought this same trap a few years ago but it turned out to be a fake and I sent it back. Since then, I've read mosquitos are not at all attracted to UV lights and that most traps are useless as is citronella. Perhaps the ones that puff out CO2 can work. I had a different UV light trap set up right next to the swarms and did not get even one mosquito. Maybe BKK mosquitos like those traps but mine don't. Well, I'm off to buy some spray cans of bug killer for the time being. It's really out of hand here.

35 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I didn't find much using search, nothing current at least, thus my post. I have a lot of mosquitos. I think they breed underneath the house where the grey waste waters disappear. They swarm at the screens at night. Disturbing any storage boxes or bins in the carport produces swarms of them...100s fly up. Staying outside at dusk or later is impossible without bug spray. Of course, plenty get in the house, too.

Anyhow, make fun of me, call me a sissy, tell me to move home...I don't care. Has anyone purchased recently a small-scale mosquito fogger that I could use to go around once a week and take care of this situation? It's very un-fun. I've tried emptying cans of spray but that gets expensive quickly.

I prefer to do this procedure quickly myself, when needed, over trying to arrange with a service or the government. I'm a DIY type of guy. I've seen a variety of machines on Lazada but it's difficult to judge the effectiveness. One of the more pro looking guns mentioned having to mix diesel 3:1 with the killing liquid. Is that the best type to buy? Seems to me, the government guy that comes around sometimes does produce a slightly diesel smelling smoke so that might be a good sign. The one I looked at was about 2400 baht.

Thanks all!

Mixing diesel is normal on smoke machines, the diesel goes onto their wings preventing them from flying, alternatively you can just mix the insecticide with water instead and use a water sprayer on a fine mist that is what I do, seem to work on 'my' land.

This is the insecticide I use. also from Lazada you will need that anyway.

imagesmmb.jpg.1e624eb1c465190a2353c51c80deaf4a.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, eyeman said:

@lopburi3 How much did you pay, just trying to determine if the Lazada one I see is a fake..

Just under 1k.  And indeed there are fakes for sale - real model has flat bottom - fakes I noticed few years ago had few plastic tab keeping bottom off table if not hung.

As for not working - these work very well indeed (and I was a skeptic).  

This appears to be real unit.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/portoti-pr-25mb-mosquito-pest-killer-led-ver2-led-i174536187-s358395528.html?

Edit - checked and bought from above company at 899 Baht in December 2020.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I bought this same trap a few years ago but it turned out to be a fake and I sent it back. Since then, I've read mosquitos are not at all attracted to UV lights and that most traps are useless as is citronella. Perhaps the ones that puff out CO2 can work. I had a different UV light trap set up right next to the swarms and did not get even one mosquito. Maybe BKK mosquitos like those traps but mine don't. Well, I'm off to buy some spray cans of bug killer for the time being. It's really out of hand here.

Apparently UV light only works if it is on a very specific wavelength which attracts mosquitos, UV generated across a wider spectrum will not.

I recently bought one, brand Zappify. It works.

There are probably a lot of brands that don't.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Mixing diesel is normal on smoke machines, the diesel goes onto their wings preventing them from flying, alternatively you can just mix the insecticide with water instead and use a water sprayer on a fine mist that is what I do, seem to work on 'my' land.

This is the insecticide I use. also from Lazada you will need that anyway.

imagesmmb.jpg.1e624eb1c465190a2353c51c80deaf4a.jpg

I have used one of those pump sprayers. So mixing with diesel is not that much different? It certainly makes a big plume of rolling smoke unlike the pump sprayers. Does that plume only contain smoke and not the insecticide to kill them?

Since you mention that you believe the source of the problem is the moisture (grey waste water) under the house, that would be the problem I would address....not only to get rid of the mosquitos but to prevent other potential health problems with some of those fumes likely penetrating the house.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I have used one of those pump sprayers. So mixing with diesel is not that much different? It certainly makes a big plume of rolling smoke unlike the pump sprayers. Does that plume only contain smoke and not the insecticide to kill them?

No it mixes the two together. You answered that yourself in your OP. 

One of the more pro looking guns mentioned having to mix diesel 3:1 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Apparently UV light only works if it is on a very specific wavelength which attracts mosquitos, UV generated across a wider spectrum will not.

I recently bought one, brand Zappify. It works.

There are probably a lot of brands that don't.

Avoid bug zappers, experts say. Instead, try these evidence-backed traps and other strategies to stay safe.

How to Find a Mosquito Trap That Actually Works - Consumer Reports

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Avoid bug zappers, experts say. Instead, try these evidence-backed traps and other strategies to stay safe.

How to Find a Mosquito Trap That Actually Works - Consumer Reports

We are not talking about bug zappers in OP or any other post.  OP is chemical killing - some other posts are leading them into air traps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

We are not talking about bug zappers in OP or any other post.  OP is chemical killing - some other posts are leading them into air traps.

I was not responding to the OP who you correctly state is asking about chemical killing!

If you note my comment was directed against a poster suggesting that there was a viable so called zapper.  I am just trying to point out that zappers do not work, ergo I am supporting the OP and suggesting a number of alternatives that may meet the OP's criteria!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Anyhow, make fun of me, call me a sissy, tell me to move home.

Welcome to the As forums.......as for mozzies anywhere that has nature and water is trouble

I use vicks vap o rub..basically menthol  tiger balm etc.....as i used to work on a boat-water....i rub it on my ankles where the mozzies tend to love on me...hansum ankles!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I was not responding to the OP who you correctly state is asking about chemical killing!

If you note my comment was directed against a poster suggesting that there was a viable so called zapper.  I am just trying to point out that zappers do not work, ergo I am supporting the OP and suggesting a number of alternatives that may meet the OP's criteria!

I proved the brand I bought works, by leaving it outside the house in a dark place which I knew had mosquitoes. I scored a dozen before the rechargeable battery ran flat, which takes about 4-5 hours. Presumably the device is intended for indoor use, while one is sleeping. In a house with insect screens, that is only the odd mosquito. The instructions do say it works much better with no other light sources.

Your comment simply demonstrates you have a closed mind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, bamboozled said:

DDT fogged from China, not hard to find on the internet and have it shipped. Though if one is nice and doesn’t want it hurt the bugs then use mosquito coils or a wimpy bug spray.

• Like 1

Hi all...sorry for my delay in responding. I did not get notifications and I got busy with some other stuff and the post had slipped my mind.

As far as the grey water under the house...and the black water which is also under there, I believe, in underground tanks,etc..., I live in a rented house with a very reasonable rent. I have been here many years now and we never see the landlords and they never contact us, either. Any repairs and whatnot needed I do myself or hire someone. I am happy with this arrangement and they seem so, too. I don't want to rock the boat by pointing out shortcomings or asking for repairs, etc... And I am not going to undertake repairing the grey/black water system. So I choose to deal with the mosquitos.

The mosquitos have always been here but it suddenly got to the top of my list when I noticed this swarm at the screen. I'm telling you, it was sort of terrifying. Amazingly, since writing the post, or even starting the day before I wrote, the swarm is greatly diminished. Almost like clockwork. It may indeed have been a boost from the recent rains but the uptick in mozzies started about 2 or 3 weeks ago, before much rain of any substance fell. Nevertheless, it has always been a high mozzie place and the swarms in the boxes under the carport are always an issue as is staying outside at dusk. Of course, the grey water is always replenishing with or without rain, so this makes sense.

Also have an up tick in the last 3 weeks of big cockroaches coming into the bathrooms at night. They especially love to climb up the shower/sink drain pipe to the upstairs bathroom. Of course, this pipe just is a straight pipe that dumps into the mystery space under the house.

Tiger balm on the ankles, I'll have to try that. I don't like putting on too much bug spray if I'm indoors. That just seems sad, right? I would love to get some zappers that work, as well as the fogger. I'll do more research on that.

Looks like the diesel/poison fogger might be worth a try, as smelly as it is. Interestingly, the government fogger guy came down the street today. But did a poor job squirting into my yard. Just the way it is...

Thanks all for the input.