Fastest Internet Connection In Thailand

Shagwell

I am reading about Maxnet but my friend has TT&T for 1000 baht unlimited and is quite content.

What are you using and what were the start up fees? Are you on a contract? Do you have your own modem?

Thanks

Tot "1024" in Phuket for 1000 a month. It's crap. Normally 60 - 80 % of the speed in Thailand, and 15 % outside. And the latency is ######ing ridiculous, 0.5 to 1 second!!

I have a linksys wrtsl54gs wireless router with dd-wrt and a tp-link td-8810 that's running bridged pppoe. They are running on an UPS that also filters the phone line.

Thinking about changing to a 512 line from inet for 4500 a month. Guess it has full 90 - 95 % speed international and low latency.

Anybody has experience with inet cheap business lines?

http://www.inet.co.th/inetweb/price.jsp?id=307

I dont know why a lot of fellas keep complaining about the internet speeds in Thailand. :D

I am using True HiSpeed 1024 for THB599+VAT per month and very happy with the speed. If you are planning to use your internet to view online High Quality TV then you should not buy the connection like me, better buy something else.

I am very happy with the connection and I think its too cheap. :D

Most of the time when I ask people about the meaning of 1024Mbps then they BS like 1 Megabit, which is not true as it is 1 Megabit. So all smart fellas get complete information about internet and then whine about it. :o

I dont know why a lot of fellas keep complaining about the internet speeds in Thailand. :D

I am using True HiSpeed 1024 for THB599+VAT per month and very happy with the speed. If you are planning to use your internet to view online High Quality TV then you should not buy the connection like me, better buy something else.

I am very happy with the connection and I think its too cheap. :D

Most of the time when I ask people about the meaning of 1024Mbps then they BS like 1 Megabit, which is not true as it is 1 Megabit. So all smart fellas get complete information about internet and then whine about it. :o

I think you mean 1024Kbps, which is 1 Megabit.

If you are happy with your speed then fine, I am sure 1 Megabit seems fast enough for email and looking at lo-res webpages.

However, I think that many people have experience of Broadband in other countries, so they will always feel thet Internet connections here are slow. If you have been used to 8Mbps broadband in Europe, and watching Youtube :D without waiting for the video to buffer, then Thai "broadband" will disappoint you.

and, yes I was joking when I mentioned Thai and broadband in the same sentence.

regards

Freddie

This is my set up....

Maxnet for Life 1024/512 kbps 4000 per month ex VAT. in Pattaya.

I use VOIP from Ireland provider, and seems if I go any less than this... the quality starts to suffer on VOIP calls, and

also I do have online ASP Database open, and web site etc , all at once as part of work.

Have to say...my net was down or up and down for web surfing near 24 hours this week... but emails and VOIP phone worked from time to time.

Stick to the day job. :D

I am reading about Maxnet but my friend has TT&T for 1000 baht unlimited and is quite content.

Hmmm, Maxnet IS TT&T! It is the ISP owned by TT&T and only available on a TT&T phone line. Although in the past (and in some locations) TT&T marketed the Hinet packages, which is provided I think by CAT and also only available on a TT&T phoneline.

Have to say...my net was down or up and down for web surfing near 24 hours this week... but emails and VOIP phone worked from time to time.

I have Maxnet@life as well, perfect voip connections on just 256/128! I do take care nothing else is using the internet when I use VOIP.

And yes, last week was the worst I've ever experienced with Maxnet, not speedwise, but simply stopping to work. e-mail (pop & smtp) worked perfectly, DNS resolved also, but simply no webpage could be loaded! I hope it's temporary because of work they are doing on their network. Maybe with all these free upgrades they are giving to the 12 month+ subscribers!

Thinking about changing to a 512 line from inet for 4500 a month. Guess it has full 90 - 95 % speed international and low latency.

No experience with inet, but at that price they should give those speeds. The Maxnet premier 1024/512 at 3500 something Baht/month always runs at 80% or higher.

My ping times (maxnet) are always under 300msec to the states, and under 400 msec to Europe (which gets routed all the way through the USA!). Thaivisa (Singapore) comes in between 50 and 75 msec. Lower latency is simply not possible due to the physical distance to the servers. Even electrical signals have a speed limit!

sat links are becoming far more popular now, because of the expansion of optics (ie: cheap!). those .5/1sec return times will have to be tollerated for a while longer...

What is that about exactly?

How much does an Ipstar hook up cost and what's the maximum possible speed?

85,000 baht per month is ludicrous and laughable. It works out to 2,833 baht per day, and that comes to 118 baht per hour, and roughly 20 per minute. Only in Thailand would anyone be stupid enough to come up with these kinds of prices.

Euuuh, This is a corporate package...

For home use:

table_home_en.gif

Which is still expensive, but considering the extreme costs involved with satellites this is to be expected!

Even corporate ADSL is freakin expensive!

http://www.maxnet.co.th/product_Biz.php

27,500 Baht/month for 2mbps (exl. VAT !), and this is from Maxnet, one of the cheaper providers around...

The same from Ji-net:

http://www.ji-net.com/home/indexget.php?pid=30

38,500 (excl. VAT) for the same 2048 kbps!

Corporate... so you get to connect 5 computers, and you get a fixed IP... big ******* wow! You still only get 2Mbps, and you're still paying 118 baht per hour. And even with a fixed IP, there's still an insufficient amount of international bandwidth and your speed isn't going to be 100% at all times.

The fixed IP doesn't do nothing at all for your speed!

The more you pay per month, the lower the contention ratio.

At these corporate prices your speed IS guaranteed. You pay for your own private 1 or 2 mbps direct line to the outside world! Any small hick-up and you'll have a capable technician over in no time!

What are you using and what were the start up fees? Are you on a contract? Do you have your own modem?

Thanks

Have TOT 1024 for B1000 a month for about two weeks now (waited two years to get it!). No downtime, never less than 800 Kbs down and late night almost full speed. Suspect I'm probably sharing with one or two people as they've just installed the equipment. Service very good so far, but I live in Kalasin, so everybody knows everybody here. 850 Kbs beats the hel_l out of the 4.5 I was getting on dial-up. Since I was going to cancel my existing TT&T line, there were no installation fees, the only thing I paid was for the Router, about 1,600 baht.

Edited by DAS

ipstartable03eng.gif

Can you f*cking believe it - 85,000 baht per month!!!! For 2mB connection and only 5 PC network.!!!

i think what they meant was number of fixed IPs is 5... i don't think they expect a 5 PC company to pay those prices....

For home use:

table_home_en.gif

The question was about fastest connection, and home users don't even get 2mbps package, only for corporate.

While the speed might be guranteed for those 5 PCs with fixed IP, is it guaranteed on every machine on office network? I don't think so.

For home use:

table_home_en.gif

The question was about fastest connection, and home users don't even get 2mbps package, only for corporate.

While the speed might be guranteed for those 5 PCs with fixed IP, is it guaranteed on every machine on office network? I don't think so.

Of course it is not. Why would you expect that? Even in modern countries one could not expect that every PC connected to the LAN would have equal access speeds to the internet. That is why many companies impose restrictions on their employees from streaming video or music while at work. Everybody at the company is sharing maybe only one connection to the outside world. The fact that Ipstat offers 5 direct connections is probably sufficient for a medium- to large-sized company, where 85000 baht per month is probably considered pocket change. That cost includes 5 static IP addresses (good for businesses hosting websites) and undoubtedly includes on-site service.

Well, it's still only 2mbps, and only 512kpbs upload speed. You can forget about videoconferencing or VOIP if you have to share 512kpbs upload link.

If there were lots of medium to large sized companies who'd eagerly spend 85k a month on Ipstar, Ipstar wouldn't hope to make most money on selling antennaes to view free TV.

The sad reality is that 85k - almost 2,500 USD won't buy you speed. 2mbps will soon be available everywhere for 1,000 baht per month on ADSL and it will be a lot more stable that Ipstar.

The best home connection, 1024kbps, cost only 750 baht per month - ten times less than Ipstar.

Let's not get carried away with this anyway. Someone said that satellites are getting more popular thanks to fiber optics. That still doesn't make sense to me.

It's not only upload/download speed that you buy for that price, it's full quality of service, still if you compare it to the prices you pay for a comparable full QOS DSL line in Europe, it's damm expensive. In Europe the price of this connection would be around 650 Euro.

Im bouncing past 300 Kbs on a ADSL connection and sustaining 230 Kbs on large files. IP Star is total crap now days, mostly due to TOT which is overrun with incompetent administration. The original IP Star box was a poor design from the start but with bit collision it is impossible to work with.

The best advice I can give is to avoid TOT like the plague. If you want speed you need to find a office or housing close to a fiber optic line which is already known to be reliable.

ipstartable03eng.gif

Can you f*cking believe it - 85,000 baht per month!!!! For 2mB connection and only 5 PC network.!!!

I use tot ipstar 256/128 and has been working fine 230-240 and 100-115 day in and day out only 1800baht w/vat and has VoIP set included, but I don't recall seeing anything over 1024 offered. IPstar modem is rated up to 5.9m. Would like to up it to 512 ever stream I come across seems to be 300 to 400k

Im bouncing past 300 Kbs on a ADSL connection and sustaining 230 Kbs on large files. IP Star is total crap now days, mostly due to TOT which is overrun with incompetent administration. The original IP Star box was a poor design from the start but with bit collision it is impossible to work with.

The best advice I can give is to avoid TOT like the plague. If you want speed you need to find a office or housing close to a fiber optic line which is already known to be reliable.

What speed is your line and what ISP? Just out of interest.

Unfortunately I have no choice other than TOT as it's up to the Moo Baan and True won't give me a line here...

I got the 1Mbps TOT line because it was the quickest available.

d/l speeds are rarely higher than 130Kbps, averaging at 100Kbps for larger files when the line is good.

But it is very erratic.

2 up 2 down and Im connected directly to a fiber optic cable by one kilometer of phone line. The service provider is CAT and Im paying 2,800 Baht for the connection.

I had IP Star TOT for a year and it got slower and slower till I finally disconnected and decided to do something different. I would never ever do business with TOT after the crap they pulled on disconnecting my service multiple times and flat out telling me lies over and over and over again. If I get ripped off again I'm just going to move my entire office to Korea for a 5 up 5 down line for 25 bucks a month.

TT&T Maxnet doubled the speed of its cheapest home packages this month.

e.g. My MaxNet for Home 1024/512 (unlimited usage) package was B1000/month. It is now a 2048/512 package for the same B1000/month.

I'm *assuming* (a dangerous act in LOS, I know...) that the next level down, which used to be 512/256 for B790/month is now 1024/512 for the same B790/month.

There apparently was an insert with the last TT&T bill (in Thai) that announced the change and advising that the upgrade would only be made upon request, but mine was automatically upgraded with no input or action on my part.

Forgot to add, to answer Shagwell's questions: Yes, I'm on a six-month package, and get a small discount (3%?) for prepaying six months at a time. There is a larger discount (5%?) for prepaying a 12-months.

TT&T has different promotions at different times. When I signed up, I had to agree to a 12-month package to get a free USB-modem. If you have an ADSL modem you can use your own. TT&T gives you the particular settings you need to make.

I can't recall any start-up fees, but if there were, they must have been minor. TT&T only required a copy of my passport. At the time I was in Thailand on a 30-day visa-waiver stamp. When I had called TOT at the time to compare, they would not issue me an account without a work permit, or so they said.

Jeez,

These prices are robbery for the speeds/services provided.

I am on a Fiber Optic 100mps connection here in Tokyo and pay less than 1,500 Baht per month. I sincerely hope that over the next few years the prices drop with a significant increase in speed for connections in Thailand.

Cheers,

TheWalkingMan

Jeez,

These prices are robbery for the speeds/services provided.

I am on a Fiber Optic 100mps connection here in Tokyo and pay less than 1,500 Baht per month. I sincerely hope that over the next few years the prices drop with a significant increase in speed for connections in Thailand.

Cheers,

TheWalkingMan

Are you paying for 100 Mbps and if so whats your actual download speed for large files? I suspect your line may be 5 Mbps and just showing 100 as the connection but if your correct your speed is faster than the two foot line I'm running into a external hard drive :o