How to transfer cash from Thailand to USA

Hello everyone.

I have approx 100k baht in cash on hand (not in a bank) and I want to send it to a personal bank account in the USA.

I do not have a Thai bank account. 

Can I walk into a Western Union branch in Bangkok (or another transfer service) and hand over cash for transfer to an overseas bank? 

Online research on this subject has been confusing. For example, some sites say "you can transfer cash" but they

really mean via an online app that links to a Thai bank for a bank-to bank transfer, which I can not do. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think WU is your only easy option if you don't have a Thai bank. While WU used to be expensive, in the past couple of years fees have gone down due to competition by other online options. Sending 100,000 THB from Thai bank to US bank with today's exchange rate would result in $2631.97 being deposited. It could be different if using cash. 

The other option is if you have a very trusted friend, deposit it into his/her account and use Dee Mondy. Today 100k would get you $2864.40 into your US bank. Maybe it's not worth the effort to save $33. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

I'm not stuck on WU. If you know of any better options, would love to hear about them. Thanks.

I know that you don't have a Thai bank account, but I thought I'd mention for others that as of this week Kashikorn is now offering international Swift transfers. 

• Like 1