Thai Pickpocket Arrested in Pattaya After Stealing from Foreign Tourists

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya —Pattaya Tourist Police arrested a Thai female pickpocket who stole from foreign tourists during the Songkran festival celebrations on Walking Street.

At 2:46 AM on April 19th, 2024, Pattaya Tourist Police officers apprehended Ms. Sumalee Kima-rae, a 59-year-old woman from Phetchaboon province, on Walking Street in South Pattaya. The arrest was made based on the positive identification of the suspect by a Chinese tourist couple.

According to Pol Lt Col Piyapong Ensan, Pattaya Tourist Police Inspector, the suspect was caught by the Chinese couple attempting to slash their backpack from behind to steal the items inside. The tourists were enjoying the Songkran festivities; however, they felt a tug on their backpack. Subsequently, the couple discovered that their bag had been slashed and their belongings stolen. They immediately caught the suspect, who they had been cautiously observing, and brought her to the nearby Tourist Police stationed on Walking Street.

During the interrogation, Ms. Sumalee reportedly confessed to the crime and even demonstrated her pickpocketing techniques to the officers. She revealed that she was part of a four-person gang that carried out such acts, each member playing a specific role. 

By Aim Tanakorn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-04-20

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a small canvas backpack that I used to sling over my back when walking in Pattaya, including Walking Street. I noticed a tear in my backpack that looked as if it was made by a box cutter. I recall being stuck in the crowd whilst walking in this street, so I wasn't able to move as quickly as I normally do. Nothing was taken, so it was a failed attempt. It was quite a few years ago so I suspect this type of activity has been going on for many years. 

If you are walking in crowds best keep your bag in your hand and in front of you. Lesson learned. 

Pickpocketing requires a pocket to be picked, and skill and finesse are required.  Slashing a backpack with a box cutter does not.

The Pickpocketers Guild should be rightly offended.:coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Pickpocketing requires a pocket to be picked, and skill and finesse are required.  Slashing a backpack with a box cutter does not.

The Pickpocketers Guild should be rightly offended.:coffee1:

they prefer the shortcuts in life and besides they all seem to be carrying them close to the hip......too tricky to find the zipper--slash n grab and cut ya if u catch em

In the old days, way, way back, they used to chop the hands of such people, now I'm not advocating for such

punishment but it seems that those criminals are getting off way to lightly to want and continue to commit

the same over and over again...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ezzra said:

In the old days, way, way back, they used to chop the hands of such people, now I'm not advocating for such

punishment but it seems that those criminals are getting off way to lightly to want and continue to commit

the same over and over again...

Likely below the threshold to even be charged in many locations. 

Personally I think the Islamic approach a little OTT, how about just chopping one of those nimble fingers?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

At 2:46 AM on April 19th, 2024, Pattaya Tourist Police officers apprehended Ms. Sumalee Kima-rae, a 59-year-old woman from Phetchaboon province, on Walking Street in South Pattaya.

Trying to find the bus fare home after the festivities...