Jump to content

Shrinkflation All Countries Should Do This


Recommended Posts

I totally agree.

 

Size is decreasing.

Price is increasing.

 

And, we need some reliable resource to DOCUMENT these changes.

When these changes are not documented, consumers are impacted.

 

Honey, They Shrunk the Kids!

image.thumb.jpeg.5fb9c1f5506f5129677fdcfb0d67fd3f.jpeg

 

Don't believe it?

Just go online and search for pricing of SIX MONTHS AGO.

 

SHOCKING!!!!

 

Incredible.

 

The ONLY way to combat this is in   SOLIDARITY.

 

DEFENZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, freeworld said:

 

image.png.0a044c847d89c1d14997923f68c98c03.png

 

We are now living in a Brave New World....and this is...

 

THE WORLD OF THE SCAM!

 

Everyone is scamming Everybody.

And, it all began with WaterGate and Tricky Dick!

 

Tricky Dick! 

image.png.f7fc138b9037738c2dbb667a3c5a0064.png

 

Nobody cares about HONESTY.
 

This can also be attributed to the breakdown of social values post-WORLD-WAR-ONE...as historians will tell us.

 

 

 

I have SUCH a LOW tolerance for BACK STABBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

They smile in your face....

and then...

They SOCK IT TO YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

There SHOULD BE A LAW!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheFatOne said:

A China-style crack down on our private sector would be welcome.

Unfortunately, won't happen in the West.

 

You think the public sector provide better value for money for the tax payer?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I totally agree.

 

Size is decreasing.

Price is increasing.

 

And, we need some reliable resource to DOCUMENT these changes.

When these changes are not documented, consumers are impacted.

 

Honey, They Shrunk the Kids!

image.thumb.jpeg.5fb9c1f5506f5129677fdcfb0d67fd3f.jpeg

 

Don't believe it?

Just go online and search for pricing of SIX MONTHS AGO.

 

SHOCKING!!!!

 

Incredible.

 

The ONLY way to combat this is in   SOLIDARITY.

 

DEFENZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Not so hard to do, just go to websites selling the products since before, check web archive servers on previous prices, quantity and weight + compare.

 

could be programmed in hour(s)

Edited by ChaiyaTH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Not so hard to do, just go to websites selling the products since before, check web archive servers on previous prices, quantity and weight + compare.

 

could be programmed in hour(s)

 

One other MAJOR problem here that I have noticed:

 

a.  A few shoppers seem unable to quickly calculate the "unit" cost of purchases in the supermarkets.

b.  For example: 

 

1.  Shopper goes into the store and sees two bottles of  Cuckoo Man Soy Sauce, each a different volume.

2. The first bottle of Cuckoo Man is 385 ml. in volume, and the price is Bt.42.00.

3. The second bottle of Cuckoo Man is 700 ml. in volume, and the price is Bt.69.00.

4. Shopper wonders: Which bottle is cheaper?  And, how much cheaper is the cheaper bottle? (based on price-per-milliliter...)

5.  How many shoppers have you seen making these calculations?  (Maybe you don't see them doing it, because the average shopper in Thailand is able to do lightning-fast calculations of this type....In Their Heads!)

 

6. So, what should be done? 

 

The answer is that ALL retail stores should be compelled to show clearly:

 

Price per gram

Price per milliliter

 

Why?

Because consumers deserve more transparency.

And, because manufacturers and retailers love to be transparent.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is so much more to it:


For decades, Government Statistics "prove" that the average wage earners are better off than ever. Really?


My dad was the only provider, my mother never had to work. We had a good life, lacking nothing. Therefore, how come, that in todays Europe, mom and dad have to work to make ends meet? Same in Thailand. Have 2 stepdaughters, both married, having good jobs at the Bank and Industry. But mom and dad have to work, otherwise they could not afford to live in Bangkok.


If in the olden days a single provider could "carry" a family. Today it takes 2 "earners". So how do Government Statistics derive their "better off than ever" from?


Today we have to deal with "fake news". But long before we have appearantly and obviously been fed with "fake statistics". To "fine tune" and "adjust" the basket of consumer goods is paradise for government "statiscians", wanting to low ball annual inflation rates.

 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, swissie said:

My dad was the only provider, my mother never had to work. We had a good life, lacking nothing. Therefore, how come, that in todays Europe, mom and dad have to work to make ends meet?

Don't forget that the standard of living is now much higher than when your father was working age.  Housing is generally much better, cars are much better, health care is much better...etc.

 

Most people seem to forget that living standards have increased dramatically.  It's hard to say how much of the increase in cost of living can be accounted for by higher standards.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shrinkflation is nothing new.  It has been going on for a long time.  Manufactures have to make decisions on whether to raise prices or make a smaller package.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2024 at 9:27 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

 

One other MAJOR problem here that I have noticed:

 

a.  A few shoppers seem unable to quickly calculate the "unit" cost of purchases in the supermarkets.

b.  For example: 

 

1.  Shopper goes into the store and sees two bottles of  Cuckoo Man Soy Sauce, each a different volume.

2. The first bottle of Cuckoo Man is 385 ml. in volume, and the price is Bt.42.00.

3. The second bottle of Cuckoo Man is 700 ml. in volume, and the price is Bt.69.00.

4. Shopper wonders: Which bottle is cheaper?  And, how much cheaper is the cheaper bottle? (based on price-per-milliliter...)

5.  How many shoppers have you seen making these calculations?  (Maybe you don't see them doing it, because the average shopper in Thailand is able to do lightning-fast calculations of this type....In Their Heads!)

 

6. So, what should be done? 

 

The answer is that ALL retail stores should be compelled to show clearly:

 

Price per gram

Price per milliliter

 

Why?

Because consumers deserve more transparency.

And, because manufacturers and retailers love to be transparent.

 

 

 

 

 

THIS is what I think is a better solution. I don’t think it’s the job or position of the “state” to label something shrinkflation or not.  Yes, it exists.. but.. there could also be other conditions that go into that - so I think a public entity labeling something with the clearly negative-bias “shrinkflation” label is a good public policy.

 

I think giving consumers the unbiased and factually driven data - to make informed objective buying decisions is the better way to go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A neighbour from France last month was complaining that the sinkflation was becomming a racket in France, and Paris was becomming a highly dangerous place, with shootings and stabbings daily - mainly due to cannabis drug feuds or abuse. Pity as Paris is beautiful but definately a city to avoid for the moment.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lux is an imported product.

Given Thailand's ever deteriorating baht exchange rate (more baht required in foreign exchange) since the 2014 military coup, part of the Thailand price inflation is due to Thailand's failing economic policies. Thai retailers get no benefit from higher import costs. Strengthen the baht, reduce inflation.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think government should be regulating anything in the private sector.  I closely monitor prizes and size, then quit buying what I consider to cost too much. All this other stuff mentioned above is just communism. 

 

As far as it "And, it all began with WaterGate and Tricky Dick" statement. LBJ was tricking you long before Nixon.  The CIA killed Kennedy and uprooted Nixon. Go figure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When covid came along it is my belief that humans had a generational opportunity to show their higher nature, and instead what happened was that businesses both large and small saw an opportunity and seized it by decreasing portions, raising prices, cutting customer service, and doing whatever they possibly could to scalp and raise profits. Many would argue that some of this has to do with the very nature of covid and the need to survive. But I would argue that a lot of it was just bald opportunism and absolute greed, and the result is that we've seen stunning inflation and prices rise dramatically. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to Milton Friedman, inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon. Later he clarified that he was referring to episodes of persistent inflation. In the short run, supply shocks can impact the price level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Inflation - Deflation and Shrink -flation concequencies.

Oil prices are not a cause of inflation but a consequence. Prices increase as more units of the currency used to denominate the commodity shift to relatively scarce assets. Therefore, oil prices do not cause inflation, they are one of the signals of currency debasement. Furthermore, if oil prices caused inflation, we would go from inflation to deflation quickly, not from elevated inflation to slower price increases

The only real cause of inflation is government spending. While banks can generate money -credit- through lending, they rely on projects and investments to support these loans. Banks cannot create money to bail themselves out. No financial entity would go bankrupt then. In fact, banks’ largest asset imbalance comes from lending at rates below the cost of risk and having government loans and bonds as “no-risk” investments, two things that are imposed by regulation, law, and central bank planning. Meanwhile, the state does issue more currency to disguise its fiscal imbalances and bail itself out, using regulation, legislation, and coercion to impose the use of its own form of money.

And we are heading now central Banks are wrong about rate cuts at the same time you have high inflation although governments when they refer to hight -middle -low inflation actually mean c.o.r.e inflation!

Edited by Paris333
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2024 at 12:49 AM, rwill said:

Shrinkflation is nothing new.  It has been going on for a long time.  Manufactures have to make decisions on whether to raise prices or make a smaller package.

Or make smaller packages AND raise prices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...