Putin’s plan to depopulate Ukraine

image.png

The specter of war looms large over Ukraine, particularly in its second-largest city, Kharkiv, where a surge in Russian airstrikes threatens to transform the bustling metropolis into a modern-day Aleppo. Kharkiv Mayor Ihor Terekhov's recent warning underscores the gravity of the situation, as he appeals urgently for additional air defenses to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe.

The strategic importance of Kharkiv, situated in eastern Ukraine near the Russian border, cannot be overstated. The city has become a primary target in Russia's relentless air offensive, with civilian infrastructure and residential areas bearing the brunt of devastating bombings. The goal appears clear: to depopulate large swathes of Ukraine and assert Russian dominance over the region.

Recent Russian attacks have escalated dramatically, leaving dozens dead and disrupting essential services, including electricity supply. The destruction of Kharkiv's main power plants in a calculated strike has plunged the city into darkness, exacerbating an already dire situation for its 1.3 million inhabitants.

Hospitals, businesses, and homes are now reliant on generators amid fears of further blackouts, while residents, including children, grapple with the challenges of studying in makeshift classrooms or online amid the chaos. Despite the adversity, many remain determined to stay, but the prospect of an exodus looms large if conditions worsen.

The systematic targeting of Kharkiv is not an isolated incident but part of a broader pattern of destruction unleashed by Russia since the onset of full-scale invasion over two years ago. From Mariupol to Bakhmut, Ukrainian towns and cities have been reduced to rubble as Russian forces advance, leaving a trail of devastation and death in their wake.

The recent escalation in bombings, particularly targeting energy infrastructure, reflects a calculated strategy by Moscow to exploit vulnerabilities in Ukraine's defenses. With vital aid packages delayed and ammunition supplies dwindling, Ukrainian forces are stretched thin, unable to adequately defend against precision strikes.

The urgency of the situation cannot be overstated, as Ukrainian officials plead for enhanced air defenses to counter Russia's relentless onslaught. While some support has been pledged, including plans for a Patriot system from Germany, more concerted action is needed to protect civilians and critical infrastructure.

Many argue that improved air defenses alone will not suffice and advocate for the provision of long-range weapons to target Russian launch sites. However, geopolitical considerations and fears of escalation have hindered efforts to provide Ukraine with the necessary tools to defend itself effectively.

Amid mounting civilian casualties and widespread destruction, calls for accountability grow louder. The International Criminal Court's issuance of arrest warrants for Russian military officers offers some semblance of justice, but it provides little solace to those enduring the horrors of war.

As the bombing campaign intensifies, Ukraine stands on the brink of a humanitarian catastrophe. Unless swift action is taken to bolster its defenses, millions of lives hang in the balance, and Putin's ruthless tactics may yet succeed in breaking Ukrainian resolve.

2024-04-24

Source

image.png

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Social Media said:

The goal appears clear: to depopulate large swathes of Ukraine and assert Russian dominance over the region.

I see the propaganda machine is working overtime. Clear as mud to me. It's just as likely that it's revenge attacks by Putin for the drone strikes on Russian soil.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 2

On 4/23/2024 at 2:14 PM, Wobblybob said:

It woud stop tomorrow if the illegal aggressors withdrew from Ukraine!

Very true too.

But answer a simple question if you will. Say you are Bobby Fisher playing a game of chess (in case you never heard of Bobby Fisher) with an average club player and you are up a queen, a rook, 2 knights and 2 bishops. Would you offer a draw to your opponent?

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Are you high! 🥴♟️

No, not at all. But you are if you think Russia, who is winning overwhelmingly, will withdraw.

This is the problem some people and governments have. They are high on their own propaganda and illusions. Russia, with its far superior army is now just toying with Ukraine. Pick off a unit here and there, take a village here and there. Reports of Ukrainian soldiers surrendering, of elite Azov units unwilling to fight.

Writing is on the wall but some are just too blind to see. Poor Ukraine.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

No, not at all. But you are if you think Russia, who is winning overwhelmingly, will withdraw.

This is the problem some people and governments have. They are high on their own propaganda and illusions. Russia, with its far superior army is now just toying with Ukraine. Pick off a unit here and there, take a village here and there. Reports of Ukrainian soldiers surrendering, of elite Azov units unwilling to fight.

Writing is on the wall but some are just too blind to see. Poor Ukraine.

Deluded and high!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, novacova said:

The American left are fascist though and though. They are in a constant turmoil of obsession to shut down anyone who disagrees with them and it is alive and well in the current US administration, congress and DOJ, though I’d never expect anyone who has been propagandized to have the wits to understand the obvious.

Didn’t imply or suggest that, you did. But I wouldn’t expect anything less from a leftist, accusing others of what they do themselves, such fascism.

Your original claim was regarding " .. the fascist in D.C....". not the "American left". Unless they are one and the same i.e. no fascists or "left" outside of the capital, you have moved the goalposts. In my experience, this often happens when attempting to debate with blinkered ideologues, who seldom let rationality interfere with their thought processes.

In a similar vein, I did not accuse you of stating or implying that the Russian election was free and fair, I merely asked you to avoid suggesting it. You managed to avoid doing so; well done.  Unfortunately, I'd suggest that this was more due to luck than judgement.

I would never claim to have a particularly deep understanding of the US or its' politics and it appears that I am not alone in that regard.

• Like 1