Laser Anal Fissure Surgery

lupin

Looking for recommendations on where and / or who performs this procedure in Bangkok and who might be considered most experienced in this specific operation.

Most Hospitals I have asked do not perform this procedure (with the exception of Vejatani, who were wishy washy on who performs this) but instead suggest "Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy" which comes with greater pain, longer recovery times and potential life long side effects of fecal incontinence. 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

I had a fissure maybe 20 years ago. The LIS procedure was in office and painless (apart from the local anaesthetic, which hurt like hell). No lasers, quick recovery and no issues. 

I tend to prefer operations which are common and which the surgeon has done many cases. Your difficulty finding a laser-wielding surgeon may mean you will be having treatment from a less experienced surgeon. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@retarius appreciate the reply and agree that LIS is considered the gold standard. That said the relatively newer laser procedure shows less recovery times, less recurrence rates, less pain and less chance of potential fecal incontinence. I understand each case is different and patients respond differently. There are docs in Thailand well familiar with this technique, but wondered if anyone had any experience with hospitals that offer it.