Is this Acer Swift Go 14" a good deal?

Furioso

I'm looking for a light laptop(1.25kg) and this Acer is on sale on Banana for 17,000 baht(down from 26,000 baht). I believe it has backlit keyboard, fingerprint ID. I'm in Pattaya I like to get a good deal but leery about Acer. Any suggestions for a light 14 inch laptop is welcome. Thank you. 

Acer Swift Go SFG14-41-R2QM

AMD Ryzen 5 7530U

RAM: 16GB LPDDR4X

SSD: 512GB SSD M.2

2 x USB Type-C , 2 x USB 3.2 Gen1 port

50Wh 3-cell Li-ion

2 Years (Parts & Labor) Warranty

Would not touch an Acer at any price, how many old ones do you see on sale? none, they are all Dells, Fujitsu or Toshiba's. Had a top of the range Acer a few years ago, lasted 3 years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

ignore the original price
the current price of that laptop is 17-18k 
you are not getting a duper discount deal, that is a normal fair deal
if that laptop suits your needs then go for it
Acer are as decent a brand as any other really
i assume you are not playing games, as just integrated graphics
and if what you want is a lightweight laptop then sure 1.25kg is good

if you think you may need more RAM or storage check if extra slots available,
i think the RAM on these cannot be upgraded, but 16GB should be fine 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I suggest look at it in a shop - if you have the opportunity.

Type a few sentences and look how you like the keyboard.

Most new notebooks have enough performance for everyday usage (except games). The quality and feel of the keyboard and mousepad makes a difference.

If you are on a budget look if you can get a 2nd hand ThinkPad. They are mostly the best you can buy. 

2 minutes ago, proton said:

Would not touch an Acer at any price, how many old ones do you see on sale? none, they are all Dells, Fujitsu or Toshiba's. Had a top of the range Acer a few years ago, lasted 3 years.

I think you're right. I had an Acer a few years back and it seemed cheaply made. Banana has a light(1.3kg)Asus Vivobook with the same specs for 15,000, down from 19,000. 

Loved my Acer Swift, but too expensive I figure these days. Using an Acer Aspire 1/3 the price, Not any great HD but dam good. Starts in less than 1 minute which I love. wish I had one without the Thai/English keyboard.

Are local computer stores in Pattaya better than Banana? 

Maybe Wattana or Tukcom? 

I'm thinking any laptop I buy is only going to last 2-3 years so it's better to buy on sale lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Furioso said:

Are local computer stores in Pattaya better than Banana? 

Maybe Wattana or Tukcom? 

I'm thinking any laptop I buy is only going to last 2-3 years so it's better to buy on sale lol. 

Tukcom is a mall that has many shops
you are better to purchase from a reputable shop
JIB, Advice, Banana iT, etc
there are Banana IT shops in Pattaya
the asus vivo sounds a better deal, but as OMF stated, better to go test the feel
and, it is very likely NOT "on sale" you are not getting a limited time duper deal where tomorrow the price is back up
hardware prices decline as new hardware is released
there is an old price (if it ever was) and a current price that you will pay

Edited by patman30

2 minutes ago, Furioso said:

you're right it's 17,900 on notebookspec website I hate when they make it look like you're getting a great deal. 

its a tired and now over used marketing strategy
so overused it becomes stupid, with brand new items apparently "on discount" first day being sold
just ignore anything with a line through it
it is completely irrelevant 

1 minute ago, Korat Kiwi said:

In NZ there was a consumer report about laptops.  The worst one/brand for failures was Acer. 

Yes, they don't seem to be in the top seven reliable brands. I don't really trust any brand but if you're not in the top 7 you're out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My Partner has a Acer Laptop, still on XP  it is very old and tired/slow but was a daily heavily used for 13 years for work mostly never a problem.. last couple of years  uses a Tablet so laptop is in junk room

My very expensive Sony Laptop lasted 14 years, so thinks the Acer did very well.

Myself have a Acer Curved 32" Monitor a good few years also still perfect

Luck o' the draw, really. I swore off Acers after a bad experience w/ a netbook years ago. I'd go with the top-rated brands for reliability, including used, come to that. I bought a used Dell for a knockabout and it's been great. But, as noted, you'll find testimonials in favor of Acer. Good luck. Like the backlit aspect, BTW.

5 hours ago, Furioso said:

I'm looking for a light laptop(1.25kg) and this Acer is on sale on Banana for 17,000 baht(down from 26,000 baht). I believe it has backlit keyboard, fingerprint ID. I'm in Pattaya I like to get a good deal but leery about Acer. Any suggestions for a light 14 inch laptop is welcome. Thank you. 

Acer Swift Go SFG14-41-R2QM

AMD Ryzen 5 7530U

RAM: 16GB LPDDR4X

SSD: 512GB SSD M.2

2 x USB Type-C , 2 x USB 3.2 Gen1 port

50Wh 3-cell Li-ion

2 Years (Parts & Labor) Warranty

Had a few Acer computers over the years and all have proven themselves to be solid machines. For that price you cant complain.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most new notebooks have enough performance for everyday usage (except games). The quality and feel of the keyboard and mousepad makes a difference.

If you are on a budget look if you can get a 2nd hand ThinkPad. They are mostly the best you can buy. 

good points, for basic users you get what you pay for, i've had HP, lenovo, acer all pretty similar, for sure check keyboard ans mousepad, and screen size and weight if that's what's important.

Awaiting delivery, powering my 4K TV. 29900b

Acer Swift Edge SFA16-41-R76R Notebook

Screen Panel

OLED

Refresh Rate

60Hz

Laptop Type

Working Laptop, Lightweight Laptop

Screen Size

16"

CPU Model

AMD Ryzen 7 6800U

GPU Model

AMD Radeon Graphics

Ram Type

DDR5

Ram Size

16GB

Storage Type

SSD

Storage Size

1TB

Touchscreen

No

Network Connection

Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2

Port/Interface

USB-A 3.2, USB-C, HDMI, AUX 3.5mm

Operation System

Windows 11 Home

Maximum Resolution

3840 x 2400

Dimension (W x L x H cm)

35.67 x 24.23 x 1.39

Weight

1.17 kg

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Awaiting delivery, powering my 4K TV. 29900b

Acer Swift Edge SFA16-41-R76R Notebook

Screen Panel

OLED

Refresh Rate

60Hz

Laptop Type

Working Laptop, Lightweight Laptop

Screen Size

16"

CPU Model

AMD Ryzen 7 6800U

GPU Model

AMD Radeon Graphics

Ram Type

DDR5

Ram Size

16GB

Storage Type

SSD

Storage Size

1TB

Touchscreen

No

Network Connection

Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2

Port/Interface

USB-A 3.2, USB-C, HDMI, AUX 3.5mm

Operation System

Windows 11 Home

Maximum Resolution

3840 x 2400

Dimension (W x L x H cm)

35.67 x 24.23 x 1.39

Weight

1.17 kg

Looks great - price and link Please 👍

My experience having bought probably 20 lap tops is stay away from Acer..have had at least three non impressed with build quality or longevity.

Worst lap top was surprisingly an HP that shorted out every time I picked it up by the the lower right corner when the screen was at 90 degrees.Also the most expensive over 20k.

I'm sticking with Asus or second hand Lenovo refurbished...good warranties and if you buy from the same shop that does the refurbishing it's out of warranty they will fix inexpensively 

• Thumbs Up 1

I appreciate everybody's input. Ultimately, I decided to buy the Honor Pad 9 for 10,900 baht. I did a deep dive on laptops and ended up believing what a popular tech youtuber said "Laptops are designed to be sold, not used". He reviews all the laptops, finds big faults in all of them even though by now they should be awesome devices. It's just such a crapshoot, I don't feel like gambling right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/25/2024 at 9:41 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I tend to agree.  I don't shell out 15K to 20K for a computer without using it first.  Laptops, when I replace them (taking about Acers FYI, previous commenters had a point) to go to a shop and use the demos machines.  That usually entails bringing along a "Live" copy of Linux and Windows on a USB drive and making sure I like what I see. 

Also - although I have bought laptops with AMD processors in the past, I'm now pretty much set on using Intel-based CPUs as I run programs like "Whisper" (audio to text translation) which at this time don't work on AMD.  And I now tend to also buy computers with higher end video as well (GPU).  I don't game but I do use programs that will use GPU cycles like if you're playing with any sort of AI at the OS level as opposed to online.  It's a different world then even 5 years ago - but then again - that's Moore's Law for ya!  :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I appreciate everybody's input. Ultimately, I decided to buy the Honor Pad 9 for 10,900 baht. I did a deep dive on laptops and ended up believing what a popular tech youtuber said "Laptops are designed to be sold, not used". He reviews all the laptops, finds big faults in all of them even though by now they should be awesome devices. It's just such a crapshoot, I don't feel like gambling right now. 

Buy a custom-built desktop for home use and a laptop for when your away from home.  Then you're pretty much set.

8 minutes ago, connda said:

Buy a custom-built desktop for home use and a laptop for when your away from home.  Then you're pretty much set.

This is what I need, a moderately powerful Desktop at home and then I'd just gamble on a 18,000 baht 14 inch  i5/16GB Ram laptop.

Do you mean build my own PC or buy a PC that someone else has built? I ask because I'd screw up if I built one on my own lol. 

Edited by Furioso
b/c

18 hours ago, Furioso said:

This is what I need, a moderately powerful Desktop at home and then I'd just gamble on a 18,000 baht 14 inch  i5/16GB Ram laptop.

Do you mean build my own PC or buy a PC that someone else has built? I ask because I'd screw up if I built one on my own lol. 

I have always built my own Desktop, [many in the past 30+ years] problem is now a day getting old + eyes not what they used to be

I will buy all the items I want, take them to a little shop and have them assemble it, cost 300 - 500 baht...

The problem with ready built is mostly built with parts I have no idea about or had problems with in the past would never buy..  + already have a decent Graphics card

19 hours ago, bwanajohn said:

My experience having bought probably 20 lap tops is stay away from Acer..have had at least three non impressed with build quality or longevity.

Worst lap top was surprisingly an HP that shorted out every time I picked it up by the the lower right corner when the screen was at 90 degrees.Also the most expensive over 20k.

I'm sticking with Asus or second hand Lenovo refurbished...good warranties and if you buy from the same shop that does the refurbishing it's out of warranty they will fix inexpensively 

Everything I have had over the years from HP has been rubbish, sending to the Service Centre would have to wait months + returned the same not working and so it went on until the warrantee ran out