Is this Acer Swift Go 14" a good deal?

Furioso

18 hours ago, Furioso said:

This is what I need, a moderately powerful Desktop at home and then I'd just gamble on a 18,000 baht 14 inch  i5/16GB Ram laptop.

Do you mean build my own PC or buy a PC that someone else has built? I ask because I'd screw up if I built one on my own lol. 

Desktop  CPU New this year in Thailand

https://www.advice.co.th/branch-a012/index.php/product/productdetail/A0157962

On 4/25/2024 at 9:15 AM, Furioso said:

I'm looking for a light laptop(1.25kg) and this Acer is on sale on Banana for 17,000 baht(down from 26,000 baht). I believe it has backlit keyboard, fingerprint ID. I'm in Pattaya I like to get a good deal but leery about Acer. Any suggestions for a light 14 inch laptop is welcome. Thank you. 

Acer Swift Go SFG14-41-R2QM

AMD Ryzen 5 7530U

RAM: 16GB LPDDR4X

SSD: 512GB SSD M.2

2 x USB Type-C , 2 x USB 3.2 Gen1 port

50Wh 3-cell Li-ion

2 Years (Parts & Labor) Warranty

SSD is small

2nd SSD there? It's blank. There should be two these days.

No mention of graphics card

Ryzen CPU

I'm all about Asus myself.

• Like 1

I just asked my laptop tech-geek friend who lives in UK the question of "Which is a good quality inexpensive laptop right now?"

Here's his answers:

I think Huawei are good value for money. They often have discounts on their website.

2.  I (him) plan to get a Xiaomi Mi pad 6 tablet and a Logitech Anywhere keyboard. As a lightweight solution to take out and about, leave the laptop at home.

3. Really inexpensive:  Chromebook or INSTALL chromebook in a used other brand laptop:

Ah, ok. So, the good thing about a Chromebook is how resource light it is. You can install it on an old windows computer and it would run great.

So where the computer with windows on it may be fit for the bucket, you can install Chrome and give it a new lease of life.

That would be the cheapest solution.

You can pick up many Chromebooks for just a few hundred too.

https://chromeos.google/products/chromeos-flex/

4. I told him don't want to go that route of having to install something for the girl so his ultimate suggestion was can't go wrong right now with a Huawei.

or if you want it super portable go with #2 (but means you probably have something else at home you can use too).

Edited by Dart12

15 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I just asked my laptop tech-geek friend who lives in UK the question of "Which is a good quality inexpensive laptop right now?"

Here's his answers:

I think Huawei are good value for money. They often have discounts on their website.

2.  I (him) plan to get a Xiaomi Mi pad 6 tablet and a Logitech Anywhere keyboard. As a lightweight solution to take out and about, leave the laptop at home.

3. Really inexpensive:  Chromebook or INSTALL chromebook in a used other brand laptop:

Ah, ok. So, the good thing about a Chromebook is how resource light it is. You can install it on an old windows computer and it would run great.

So where the computer with windows on it may be fit for the bucket, you can install Chrome and give it a new lease of life.

That would be the cheapest solution.

You can pick up many Chromebooks for just a few hundred too.

https://chromeos.google/products/chromeos-flex/

4. I told him don't want to go that route of having to install something for the girl so his ultimate suggestion was can't go wrong right now with a Huawei.

or if you want it super portable go with #2 (but means you probably have something else at home you can use too).

Good tips, thanks. I'm going to take a 6 month trip to several countries out of Thailand next year. Ideally I'd like a laptop but to me they are the biggest risk, so many of them break down at the wrong time. So, right now I've got the Honor 9 tablet, that can definitely work for my 6 month trip without too much to worry about.

I've had a Chromebook before, it worked ok when my previous laptop busted but won't buy another one.

As far as my home PC, I've got a HP Mini I bought used off of Lazada but I want to replace it with a new mini unless someone can give me good reasons to buy a new desktop. 

I've got one quick question. I'm on Win 10 and I really like it. Is Win 11 as good? I have seen a YT video on how to optimize the hell out of Win 11 so I think as long as I do that I won't miss Win 10. 

6 hours ago, amexpat said:

I bought an Acer Aspire months ago.

Took it under warranty to the Acer support in Chiang Mai - five times.
Finally decided to just live with the problem. 

Not to hijack the thread but what's the problem?

6 hours ago, Furioso said:

I'm on Win 10 and I really like it. Is Win 11 as good? I have seen a YT video on how to optimize the hell out of Win 11

I've had 11 loaded since about six months after launch. I've had no serious issues whatsoever. One time I had to do a rollback and every install I had the same issue. After about a month it resolved / fixed bug.

Got mine tweaked out, very personalized. I also have 12 GB ram which is sufficient for what I do. But I've also got the system very leaned out.

No issues. Maybe funky search Microsoft has screwed up search for I don't know how many iterations.

The question is do you have tpm2 and can you run the version?

On 4/25/2024 at 9:36 AM, proton said:

Would not touch an Acer at any price, how many old ones do you see on sale? none, they are all Dells, Fujitsu or Toshiba's. Had a top of the range Acer a few years ago, lasted 3 years.

Bought ACER 13 about 5 years ago, still works like new. 

At purchase Banana changed the hard disk drive to SSD with much increased storage. Never a problem. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Bought ACER 13 about 5 years ago, still works like new. 

At purchase Banana changed the hard disk drive to SSD with much increased storage. Never a problem. 

Always a lucky exception. If you look on Lazada doubt you will find any old acers for sale as most die after a short time. There are loads of Dell and Fujistsu as they were far better made

Edited by proton
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2024 at 10:20 AM, Furioso said:

Good tips, thanks. I'm going to take a 6 month trip to several countries out of Thailand next year. Ideally I'd like a laptop but to me they are the biggest risk, so many of them break down at the wrong time. So, right now I've got the Honor 9 tablet, that can definitely work for my 6 month trip without too much to worry about.

I've had a Chromebook before, it worked ok when my previous laptop busted but won't buy another one.

As far as my home PC, I've got a HP Mini I bought used off of Lazada but I want to replace it with a new mini unless someone can give me good reasons to buy a new desktop. 

I've got one quick question. I'm on Win 10 and I really like it. Is Win 11 as good? I have seen a YT video on how to optimize the hell out of Win 11 so I think as long as I do that I won't miss Win 10. 

I can't help you there.  I"m a mac user.  These were tips from my friend for me to help shop/purchase an inexpensive laptop for her to buy as her first computer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2024 at 5:30 PM, proton said:

Always a lucky exception. If you look on Lazada doubt you will find any old acers for sale as most die after a short time. There are loads of Dell and Fujistsu as they were far better made

Acers, yes they are certainly down the list of being some of the most unreliable laptops. I just tried fixing my friends older Acer, it's been repaired several times at Tukcom(because it keeps on breaking!) but I couldn't get it to boot into Automatic Repair. So, my friend took it back to Tukcom, they put in a new drive and then it would die within 5 minutes of booting up. Then Tukcom said the battery is toast, which I'm sure it is, but my friend said just keep the laptop he's done with Acer forever. 

• Haha 1