Customs on imported parts

I plan to import front and rear shocks for my motorcycle which parts are not available in Thailand, value < THB 100'000. I would prefer to use a shipping company such as DHL if the customs clearance can be handled by them or an agent and I do not have to travel to customs. Else I could bring the shocks with me when my wife and myself will return from Switzerland. Our main domicile is Thailand. What is your recommendation (I will not gamble on the green customs  channel).

As far as I know DHL, and probably others, do all that for you.

I had once a delivery for 4000 USD, I had to sign one or two forms, but I never had to go to customs.

I suggest send DHL an email and ask them.

I did this before above delivery, and I was surprised about their detailed answer.

• Agree 1

if you are not in Thailand,
it may be better just to bring with you
along with purchase receipt and also online price references to show customs in the red lane
what i would personally prefer to avoid
is them being sent here and having an issue
and you or wife not here to resolve said issue which may be as small as a signature and some ID but needed this end
my wife has had to provide ID and sign forms for DHL to act as her agent

• Like 1

I avoid DHL for any delivery to here as they seem to always have crazy taxes etc . I have had clothes delivered from UK before and had to pay taxes etc of 50% of the value !

Now I just use UK post office / parcel force and haven't paid anything after posting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2024 at 10:17 AM, patman30 said:

if you are not in Thailand,
it may be better just to bring with you
along with purchase receipt and also online price references to show customs in the red lane
what i would personally prefer to avoid
is them being sent here and having an issue
and you or wife not here to resolve said issue which may be as small as a signature and some ID but needed this end
my wife has had to provide ID and sign forms for DHL to act as her agent

A friend of mine tried to bring brand new automotive parts in via his checked luggage. They were confiscated coming through security for his first flight, seems that auto parts were not allowed whether brand new or not. I have managed to bring such items as new air and oil filters, also light bulbs. I wouldn't risk trying shock absorbers though, especially at that price tag.

I will never use DHL. Ever. 

idk what the bell you are talking about. If you can bring it with you. What on earth are you blathering about. You wanna expose yourself to more government corruption. Go right ahead. As far as I’m concerned when I’m coming in I bring whatever I want. If you come in at an odd hour the customs people aren’t even there sometimes

• Agree 2

On 4/25/2024 at 3:43 AM, Klonko said:

I plan to import front and rear shocks for my motorcycle which parts are not available in Thailand, value < THB 100'000. I would prefer to use a shipping company such as DHL if the customs clearance can be handled by them or an agent and I do not have to travel to customs. Else I could bring the shocks with me when my wife and myself will return from Switzerland. Our main domicile is Thailand. What is your recommendation (I will not gamble on the green customs  channel).

Just bring them in yourself.  You would not believe what I've brought in.......................including a 5 ring gas burner, TV, full house worth of electric plug sockets and back boxes, roll of copper gas pipe, front and rear seats for my bike, set of brake and clutch levers, full CCTV system, vintage hifi separates system and speakers......................never been checked. All in checked luggage/oversize baggage.

If you do, just to be on the safe side make sure you have an invoice with you which I'd suggest is for a much lower price.  Nobody's going to question a set of shocks at 1/4 of the price your paying.

On 4/25/2024 at 10:05 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I suggest send DHL an email and ask them.

I did this before above delivery, and I was surprised about their detailed answer.

Here is what I did some time ago:

I sent an email to th.csflsd[at]dhl.com with information about a parcel which I wanted to receive per DHL.

I included detailed information of what I would receive.

This was before any parcel was sent. 

DHL replied to me with an email with these details:

DHL2.png.145a6d76425d5ec2d38952e38cb25335.png

DHL1.png.64dd139b2ac48fe6b32fbecd84d46946.png

Edited by Crossy
Modified the email address.

I’ve imported sh!t loads of gear into TH and I would say DHL are one of the best of the bunch, UPS on the other hand…

All of them will charge VAT and duty applicable to the goods being imported. Anything additional is admin fees, these arise because they are actually Thai businesses acting as agents for the shipping company, ergo it’s against their religion for an end user to get something without paying.

16 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

A friend of mine tried to bring brand new automotive parts in via his checked luggage. They were confiscated coming through security for his first flight, seems that auto parts were not allowed whether brand new or not. I have managed to bring such items as new air and oil filters, also light bulbs. I wouldn't risk trying shock absorbers though, especially at that price tag.

not for me to check what can be carried where and on what airlines
your statement also makes no sense
checked luggage,...... coming through security.......
which is it?
if checked he would not take his luggage "coming through security" till he gets to destination
so i will just ignore any more of your comments
all i can say is my old man has brought all sorts or tools through as have many other people i know
i think i will just trust Ai response more than a rando AN member
image.png.a652bd34c991a54aad892ac39bd4c014.png

28 minutes ago, patman30 said:

which is it?
if checked he would not take his luggage "coming through security" till he gets to destination
all i can say is my old man has brought all sorts or tools through as have many other people i know

From my experience: air transport of (at least larger) motorcycles is limited to cargo planes. You need a box or a platform. Battery must be disconnected and fuel tank (almost) empty. It cost me >USD 4000 for  Stuttgart - New York and Denver - Stuttgart in 2005.

USD 50 may be for a small pocket bike.

AN still preferable to AI.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, patman30 said:

which is it?

Checked luggage does go through a security process (scanning) before being allowed aboard an aircraft, and if there is a problem the TSA or airport security can and will call you back from the gate. It's not usually up to the airlines as to what they can or cannot carry. (It's up to the TSA or the similar body in whatever country you are flying in if it's domestic) Tools are not Automotive parts, so they fit another category.

Are the shocks pressurized with a gas like nitrogen? Or spring/oil loaded?

2021 I brought a set of Ohlins forks to EU with no problems. Not pressurized.

2022 I brought a "like new" 3000 EUR exhaust system from EU to TH. Green line checked my bags, and I explained the exhaust was 27 years old. They did not ask for value or invoice.

New - ask the seller to ship directly to Thailand and just pay the tax at your local post office. The process is 2-5 days longer. You will receive a notice in your mailbox explaining how much you need to pay. (Seller will export without VAT).

2nd hand - bring in your suitcase on the way back from EU and have a "reasonable" invoice and cash ready. (If not pressurized).