I recently brought $5300 in cash { AUD } from Australia to Thailand, to be converted into baht when needed.

It got me to thinking there is a way around the new personal tax regulations in Thailand, not that they are set in stone as yet.

I have an Australian bank account, in which my age pension accumulates. I transfer by WISE every 4 - 6 months for living expenses.

Those transfers may be taxed as they occur by Thai banks in the future, being classed as income.

What if I had a trusted relative or friend who could send me cash by registered post instead, and I converted said cash to baht here?

As I have said before, when governments make up stupid rules, people look for ways to circumvent them.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I recently brought $5300 in cash { AUD } from Australia to Thailand, to be converted into baht when needed.

It got me to thinking there is a way around the new personal tax regulations in Thailand, not that they are set in stone as yet.

I have an Australian bank account, in which my age pension accumulates. I transfer by WISE every 4 - 6 months for living expenses.

Those transfers may be taxed as they occur by Thai banks in the future, being classed as income.

What if I had a trusted relative or friend who could send me cash by registered post instead, and I converted said cash to baht here?

As I have said before, when governments make up stupid rules, people look for ways to circumvent them.

A couple of points.

The first is that there is no indication whatsoever that Thai banks will woth hold tax on international transfers, I think that is a one in a million chance of happening!

Secondly, please don't discuss ways to evade tax in Thailand or the thread will have to be closed.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

A couple of points.

The first is that there is no indication whatsoever that Thai banks will woth hold tax on international transfers, I think that is a one in a million chance of happening!

Secondly, please don't discuss ways to evade tax in Thailand or the thread will have to be closed.

Kerry Packer once famously said anyone who does not minimize their tax needs their head read.

If I am bringing in AUD 5300 in savings to Thailand, please explain why that is income, and taxable.

Also please explain how the Thai tax authorities can differentiate between income and savings in an Australian bank account.

• Thanks 1