King Cobra Panic During Chiang Rai Rafting Trip

webfact

image.jpeg

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Wikipedia

Visitors on a rafting expedition at Mae Suai Dam in Chiang Rai were thrown into panic after encountering a large king cobra. Shared on social media by Phatcharaphon Prombon, the nerve-racking event quickly generated widespread online discussions.

The group, including the social media user popularly known as King, were enjoying a relaxing day on the water when shouts about an incoming snake startled them. King couldn't initially spot the reptile but immediately alerted her friends to leave the water as the cries from the other bank intensified and the snake floated past them. It eventually got trapped under a nearby raft.

Another group of tourists bravely undertook capturing the snake, a task that proved difficult due to the cobra's location. Upon recognizing the reptile as a king cobra, the group's fear escalated. Once the snake was secured, everyone hastily gathered their belongings and left the scene, their outing now marred by the unexpected, scary event. 

The incident sparked various reactions on social media, with many commenting on the harrowing video and emphasizing the necessity for caution during outdoor activities in wildlife-rich areas.

In a related development, Thailand's private possession of wild animals, particularly lions, is under public scrutiny following a number of sightings in public places, raising concerns about safety and animal welfare.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-30

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I was hoping for a vid or at least a picture of the actual snake. 

It's been on the Thai news TV, was around 2 mtrs long, the guy who caught it used blue plastic pipe to trap It's head, then casually picked it up and took it away, the crowd applauded him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theblether said:

Great photos. I'm always amazed at how comfortable many Thais are handling these guys. A juvenile cobra found its way into the kitchen at my local pub and one of the rescue service guys just walked in and picked it up. The Thai ladies with me set a new land speed record when he offered them a closer look. 

It's called good training, like firefighting show someone then get them to copy you, it takes away the fear when You show them. But with a snake I'd be gone, with a fire I have been trained also with LPG gas bottles.

Shame the driving here doesn't follow that pattern ........................................I'm rambling

26 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

It's called good training, like firefighting show someone then get them to copy you, it takes away the fear when You show them. But with a snake I'd be gone, with a fire I have been trained also with LPG gas bottles.

Shame the driving here doesn't follow that pattern ........................................I'm rambling

Snakes don't bother me unless they are in my pond. I don't see cobras that often ( never in my pond ), but I do see rat snakes and banded kraits on a regular basis - and I've seen both in my pond. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 3:36 PM, Thingamabob said:

Disgusting. Be ashamed.

Why ? What did you expect him to do with them ? Eat them maybe. Thats what a Thai would do.

Edited by Angus55
  • Agree 1