Unveiling Britain’s Conspiracy Theorist Cleric: The Rise and Fall of Father Calvin Robinson

Social Media

image.png

What happens when a cleric with a penchant for conspiracy theories is thrust into the limelight of a regulated news channel? Meet Father Calvin Robinson, a controversial figure whose journey from obscurity to prominence on GB News has left many scratching their heads.

Robinson's stint on GB News was short-lived, but his impact reverberates across the internet as he continues to propagate his divisive rhetoric. From his base in the Nordic Catholic Church, Robinson has amassed a sizable following, captivated by his outspoken views on Islam, the Church of England, and various social movements.

For Robinson, the Archbishop of Canterbury's message of peace and unity during Ramadan was a step too far, rendering the Archbishop unfit for his role. His disdain for Islam is palpable, as he warns of a supposed takeover by "Mohammedans" and advocates for a fightback against their perceived influence.

But Robinson's conspiracy-laden worldview extends beyond religious matters. He has cast doubt on the integrity of figures like Joe Biden, peddling baseless claims of paedophilia and child-trafficking reminiscent of QAnon rhetoric. His narratives, steeped in paranoia and distrust, find a receptive audience in the darker corners of the internet.

So why was Robinson, of all religious figures, chosen to be a presenter on GB News? The channel, founded on principles of balance and fairness, found itself embroiled in controversy as Robinson's views clashed with its purported ethos. Co-founder Sir Paul Marshall's apparent endorsement of Islamophobic content only added fuel to the fire, raising questions about the channel's true agenda.

As the UK approaches a crucial general election, the role of media in shaping public discourse becomes ever more critical. Can regulated channels like GB News truly uphold their commitment to factual reporting when personalities like Robinson dominate the airwaves? With Ofcom seemingly toothless in its regulatory efforts, the responsibility falls on institutions like the Electoral Commission to ensure fairness and integrity in the media landscape.

Father Calvin Robinson's journey from fringe cleric to media provocateur serves as a cautionary tale about the power of platforms and the dangers of unchecked rhetoric. As GB News sets its sights on becoming the nation's largest news channel, it must reckon with the consequences of amplifying voices like Robinson's. In the words of Maya Angelou, "when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

2024-05-01

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Posted (edited)

As a practicing Catholic (God knows I need to practise, I'm not very good at it) I was intrigued as to what the "Nordic Catholic Church" exactly is.

Google is my friend.

Turns out it is a Norwegian High Church Lutheran fringe movement; a description which is rather puzzling, and contradictory.

So not Catholic at all! 

Just another example of Protestants inventing a church to suit their preferences and political opinions, and then arguing with others.

I'll stick with the Pope I think; at least you know where he stands - mind you he is a Jesuit so that may be an ambitious statement!

Edited by herfiehandbag

59 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Just another example of Protestants inventing a church to suit their preferences

There is a HUGE amount of that in the US.

Surely nobody with any sense will go near GBeebies now? It has been the demise of many a grifter who thought that thinly disguised misogynistic and/or racist, right wing codswallop delivered with confidence was a sure fire route to riches.

Thankfully these 'news' channels don't appear to have fooled most viewers so hopefully the financial woes GBnews is experiencing will continue until it ceases to exist, and the remaining grifters slope back off into obscurity.

• Love It 1

58 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Surely nobody with any sense will go near GBeebies now? It has been the demise of many a grifter who thought that thinly disguised misogynistic and/or racist, right wing codswallop delivered with confidence was a sure fire route to riches.

Thankfully these 'news' channels don't appear to have fooled most viewers so hopefully the financial woes GBnews is experiencing will continue until it ceases to exist, and the remaining grifters slope back off into obscurity.

Leaving us with the good old, reliable, soundly managed, impartial and morally impeccable BBC then...

Employing a politically unsavoury clergyman from a fringe protestant sect is unwise, but rather pales when compared to employing, for example Chris Denning, Tim Westwood, Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris and Martin Bashir!

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Leaving us with the good old, reliable, soundly managed, impartial and morally impeccable BBC then...

Employing a politically unsavoury clergyman from a fringe protestant sect is unwise, but rather pales when compared to employing, for example Chris Denning, Tim Westwood, Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris and Martin Bashir!

Media in the UK and worldwide in general is a disgrace, and I agree that the BBC is hardly a bastion of impartiality.

I read recently that printed news in the UK was mostly in the hands of only 6 organisations. TV news is hardly better. No democracy should accept that.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I read recently that printed news in the UK was mostly in the hands of only 6 organisations. TV news is hardly better. No democracy should accept that.

It is a democracy. If you wish you are free to start your own news service.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

It is a democracy. If you wish you are free to start your own news service.

That might have been possible 30 plus years ago, however the barriers to entry are now so great that it is no longer feasible for all except the super rich. 

What needs to be done is that some sort of anti monopoly commission with teeth looks at the media conglomerates we have now, and breaks them up.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Very few people only use printed paper to read the news though , I would even say that no one at all just gets newspapers to get their news , that all stopped when Televisions were invented . Now with the internet people have access to every news outlet in the world

3 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Very few people only use printed paper to read the news though , I would even say that no one at all just gets newspapers to get their news , that all stopped when Televisions were invented . Now with the internet people have access to every news outlet in the world

And propagandists have access to everyone on social media.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And propagandists have access to everyone on social media.

You really don't have to look for negative aspects on every issue .

The positive aspect is that people have access to every media outlet in the world and not just newspapers from the corner shop 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You really don't have to look for negative aspects on every issue .

The positive aspect is that people have access to every media outlet in the world and not just newspapers from the corner shop 

Having access to is one thing.

Being fed propaganda and misinformation by algorithms designed to target people’s emotions and emotional engagement is something else.

I do feel it important to look at the reality of how the internet and social media is being used to manipulate people, it’s not negativity to do so.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Having access to is one thing.

Being fed propaganda and misinformation by algorithms designed to target people’s emotions and emotional engagement is something else.

I do feel it important to look at the reality of how the internet and social media is being used to manipulate people, it’s not negativity to do so.

See the comments, people don't even realize they're being played.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Lest we forget that we are participating on an AI🤔-generated forum.