Passport Expiring Soon

I live in Thailand and am going back to america in three days. I go back once a year for a month and always get my one year family visit visa from the Thai royal consulate in Los angeles without a problem.

My passport expires in may 2008. Thats about ten months.

Can I get a one year visa from the LA consulate in america if my passport expires in 10 months?

How do I renew a passport? Can I do it in Chiang Mai when I get back?

Can I get an extension? Can I apply for a new passport in america in a months time?

Help

Thanks

I had a similar problem in April when my visa expired on 28th and my Passport inn January 2008, our consul here (British) advised me to renew passport as I would not get a one year visa on a passport that had less than one year until expiry. I renewed my passport in one week at the British Embassy in Bangkok and they carried forward the unexpired part of my old passport giving me 10 years and 9 months on my new one.

I then presented BOTH passports at immigration in Jomtien along with my extension of stay application and they transfered the old extension details into new passport then processed new application. No hastle all done in 20mins.

Assuming American Embassy have same system I would advise renewing your passport now to save any hastle in the future, obviously I am not familiar with the USA passport renewal system so it may not be possible to do in one month whilst you are home but I would have thought it possible.

You will have to check how fast you can obtain as the last I heard normal turn around was making news as many, many months currently (6 or 10 ring a bell - a long, long time) due to high demand. This may also result in longer expedited returns but don't know that.

I do not believe Thailand will issue a visa valid longer than your current passport.

You can and should have obtained a new passport here in Thailand. I know Bangkok handles and expect Chiang Mai also. You would fill a mail type form but do not have to return passport as Consulate takes care of verification and when it arrives you submit old passport to be canceled and get the new one.

Your passport can not be extended.

Great info. I wish I had thought of this earlier. It looks like I shoudl have got a new one in Chiang Mai earlier. I will go to the american government web sit to get info on renewal time and requirements.

thanks

Another official page claims the current time is the 2-3 weeks so if you send it out just after arrival and clearly mark expedite you should be ok - believe you can download the forms.

Expedite Service: Currently, Expedite Service takes 2-3 weeks to receive your passport from the date you applied. It may take longer for customers who apply for a renewal by mail without “Expedite” marked on the mailing envelope. If you haven’t received your passport and are traveling within the next 7 days , please call or email the National Passport Information Center.

Another official page claims the current time is the 2-3 weeks so if you send it out just after arrival and clearly mark expedite you should be ok - believe you can download the forms.

That sounds reasonable. I renewed mine in Chiangmai about 9 months ago and it took three weeks, even including the application going to the US and passport sent from there (Bangkok doesn't generate passports anymore). Though I suspect they use a diplomatic courier thus quick transport times.

The normal service is currently 10-12 weeks and they report this is with many new staff recently hired to cut down on the backlog. I just read the news report recently of extreme delays and it was shocking how long it was taking but maybe the report was old or time is passing faster than I believe - or both.

Sorry no help for you if your leaving in 3 days but I just renewed my passport June 20th at US Embassy in BKK. Took 1 hour at the embassy to fill out the forms. They told me it would take no more than 2 weeks. I got it within 10 days.

Thai Embassies will not grant visas for longer than the passport expiration date.