Legitimate Interest

This morning when I accessed Asean I was confronted by a "cookie permission screen" so I see Asean are busy "monetising" my data.

Not only that but there were an enormous number of "legitimate interest" buttons to individually switch off with no "reject all" options  only "accept all" and "save selection"

My view:

The only person who has a legitimate interest in my data is ME.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

The only person who has a legitimate interest in my data is ME.

Then better stay away from the internet, and none-cash payments, registering for anything. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Then better stay away from the internet, and none-cash payments, registering for anything. 

Doesn't answer the question what exactly is "legitimate interest"

Of course I use the internet since "online" in the late 60's and I know they steal my data but that doesn't mean I can't question/complain about the underhanded tricks used to steal it.

2 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Doesn't answer the question what exactly is "legitimate interest"

Of course I use the internet since "online" in the late 60's and I know they steal my data but that doesn't mean I can't question/complain about the underhanded tricks used to steal it.

The big difference is that now the companies must inform you that they (want to) use your data. And maybe you have to check a box or two before you can continue.

Years ago, companies just used your data and they didn't tell the user.

I think that is the biggest difference.

Europe introduced big fines for the misuse of data with the GDRP. But as far as I know those regulations and especially big fines are not common in other parts of the world.

General Data Protection Regulation - Wikipedia