Cataract surgery in the Bangkok and nearby area (some questions)

Some background on my situation:  doctor diagnosed I had cataract in my right eye, recommended surgery.  Did some research afterwards.  I am considering both monofocal and multifocal options.  I have sent for price inquiry to a few hospitals and here are the replies:  St Louis (start from 70,000THB, not including surgeon's fee, recommended Dr. Adisai); Bangkok Hospital (84,000 to 183,000THB); Samitivej Sriracha (no quote provided, just told us to make an appointment with a doctor); MedPark has a cataract surgery package with detailed pricing on each len option posted on their website (https://www.medparkhospital.com/en-US/packages/cataract-surgery-package).  Here are my questions related to hospitals and doctors I would love to get your input: 

1.  Just based on the clarity on the pricing, MedPark seems to be my first choice at this point.  Has anyone had their cataract surgery performed at this hospital?  Who was your doctor?  What was your experience?  Was the final bill as expected, or was there any surprise?

2.  Has anyone had cataract surgery performed by Dr. Adisai?  Was it a monofocal or multifocal len(s) replacement?  Was it at St. Louis or some other hospital?  What was your experience was Dr. Adisai?  Would you recommend him?

3.  Any other recommended doctors and hospitals that are in the Bangkok and nearby area?  Any pricing info will be appreciated as well.

4.  Lastly, I had PRK about 20 years ago.  Recommendation for a doctor who is experienced with patients with previous PRK will be helpful too.

Thanks for your time in advance. 

I had mono for distance, I use glasses for reading and PC stuff. I had both eyes done about 5 years back at a Gov. Military hospital. 

Cost me about 18,000bht per eye, but if cash is no problem, go for the best...

It is, in surgery terms, an easy op, even high Street clinics have the tech..🤗 

Having had refractive surgery before makes a big difference and you need a doctor specifically experienced with this, of whom there are not many since refractive surgery has not been around that long.

Definitely go to Rutnin Eye  Hospital. Dr. Roy there is excellent and experienced in doing cataract surgery on people who had PRK  Lasik etc. Many board members have used him. Trained in Canada and dpeaks fluent English. 

https://www.rutnin.com/en/doctor/detail.36.1_Roy_0_0.html#thumb

He will need to know your original (pre-PRK)  eye power and other parameters. Contact the place that did your PRK for this.

Most people seem to find that the multifocal lenses aren't worth the added cost. Indeed some people can't tolerate them at all. 

The only real downside to regular lens (less than half the price) is that 6ou may still need reading glasses. Sometimes this can be avoided by having one eye und3rcorrected. You csn discuss sll this with Dr. Roy.

Note that cataract only needs removal if it is affecting your vision to an extent that affects our daily life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2024 at 4:19 PM, Sheryl said:

Having had refractive surgery before makes a big difference and you need a doctor specifically experienced with this, of whom there are not many since refractive surgery has not been around that long.

Definitely go to Rutnin Eye  Hospital. Dr. Roy there is excellent and experienced in doing cataract surgery on people who had PRK  Lasik etc. Many board members have used him. Trained in Canada and dpeaks fluent English. 

https://www.rutnin.com/en/doctor/detail.36.1_Roy_0_0.html#thumb

He will need to know your original (pre-PRK)  eye power and other parameters. Contact the place that did your PRK for this.

Most people seem to find that the multifocal lenses aren't worth the added cost. Indeed some people can't tolerate them at all. 

The only real downside to regular lens (less than half the price) is that 6ou may still need reading glasses. Sometimes this can be avoided by having one eye und3rcorrected. You csn discuss sll this with Dr. Roy.

Note that cataract only needs removal if it is affecting your vision to an extent that affects our daily life.

Sheryl, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.  As I was weighing between monofocal and multifocal len, with a previous PRK in the equation, your opinion helps push towards monofocal being a more sensible choice in my situation.  I have make an appointment with Dr. Roy, and will discuss further with him.  Thanks again for your input, as always!

• Like 1