Decade-Old Thai Rice Sale Concerns Amid Contamination Fears

webfact

The military is happy to support the government by buying the rice, as it would generate income for the country

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

so the military is a separate entity ?

where does the military get their budget ?  TAXES, no ?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, hotchilli said:
On 5/9/2024 at 8:56 AM, dinsdale said:

Wait for Yingluck to come back and make her buy the lot.

And feed it to dear brother..

As I recall Yingluck was unable to sell the rice because the judicial coup froze her government for six months prior to the real thing. Don't get me wrong, their rice scheme was as hairbrained as the Hunt brothers trying to corner silver, in the early 80's. Still they could sell it and at least cut their losses. That had to be stopped. 

After, gangrene had ten years to sell the rice. That is the last thing they cared about. Stuff those upcountry rice farmers who vote the wrong way. Let it rot.

Edited by Dcheech
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 1duckyboy said:

If the ten year old rice can be sold, the earnings may ameliorate some of Yingluck's crimes, paving the way for her return.

200 - 400 million on a spend of 519.5 BILLION doesn't "ameliorate" anything. It does draw more criticism though.

https://tdri.or.th/en/2014/08/tdri-details-apparent-costs-of-rice-pledging-programme-including-bt111-billion-in-corruption/

She has a five-year sentence on her only remaining charge (tied to the rice scheme). That will be reduced to one year by Royal command, which means she'll have to spend six months under home supervision.

Can't see her returning until at least a few months after the King's sixth cycle celebrations (~ July 28, 2024).

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, kickstart said:

Something I learned not so long ago, Lao Khao is made from Pineapples.

I am not so sure about that.

It was made from fermented sticky rice, and these days molasses such as sugar beet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao_khao

Edited by Scouse123

Western rice buyers should be aware that Thailand thinks 10 year old stock is safe. Sooner out later it will be mixed into what they sell to foreigners.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, kickstart said:

Something I learned not so long ago, Lao Khao is made from Pineapples.

What is lao khao made of?

Made from fermented sticky rice, lao khao can be cruel. Most renditions employ commercial yeast and have a flavor that is marginally more delicious than gasoline.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1