Changing from a Marriage Extension to a Retirement Extension

Greenside

Posted (edited)

For more than 15 years I have been living here with a non-imm 'O' visa with initially a retirement extension which I then changed to a marriage extension, mainly because I had better things to do with some of the money tied up in the bank.  The excellent online queuing system was great for the first  year or two but now it seems only available for Volunteer, Education, Business and Retirement.  I was wondering if I had the wrong link so went to Immigration last week and the I/O said that if there were no appointments left, my wife and I would have to do a walk-in. He then told me to scan the QR code on a large sign just on the right inside the entrance to check the situation and try to make an appoinment.  He clearly hadn't ever done this because there isn't a marriage extension option listed: image.png.31e55d5fc298d3afaee75343db3411e3.png

Since this  means a lot of waiting around outside in what might be seriously bad air and I can meet the cash on hand requirement, residence certificate etc.  I 'd like to change back to the simpler retirement extension as there still a couple of appointments showing.  Is this as simple as doing a renewal or are there some downsides or costs to take into consideration?  A while back there was talk of having to prove medical insurance - is that needed?

Edited by Greenside

only a non immigrant 'O''A' visa requires insurance for a 'retirement' yearly extension, you will need to either have 800,000thb for 2 months in a bank account in your name only, or prove income by embassy statement or bank deposits of 65,000thb monthly, the new 'retirement' extension will start from the date of application, not the date of expiry of the 'marriage' extension, they may/will require your wife to attend and may require a updated kor ror 2, to prove you are still married ( to comply with conditions of current 'married' extension)

Thanks for that, Steve. I've made an appointment which is about a month before the existing extension expires and will have the funds in the bank well in time.  Hope this works out okay -  The marriage extension documents weren't too much of a hassle (getting both my children to smile simultaneously for the family pics was the tricky part) but I'd be pleased to do something simpler for a change. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Greenside said:

For more than 15 years I have been living here with a non-imm 'O' visa with initially a retirement extension which I then changed to a marriage extension, mainly because I had better things to do with some of the money tied up in the bank.  The excellent online queuing system was great for the first  year or two but now it seems only available for Volunteer, Education, Business and Retirement.  I was wondering if I had the wrong link so went to Immigration last week and the I/O said that if there were no appointments left, my wife and I would have to do a walk-in. He then told me to scan the QR code on a large sign just on the right inside the entrance to check the situation and try to make an appoinment.  He clearly hadn't ever done this because there isn't a marriage extension option listed: image.png.31e55d5fc298d3afaee75343db3411e3.png

Since this  means a lot of waiting around outside in what might be seriously bad air and I can meet the cash on hand requirement, residence certificate etc.  I 'd like to change back to the simpler retirement extension as there still a couple of appointments showing.  Is this as simple as doing a renewal or are there some downsides or costs to take into consideration?  A while back there was talk of having to prove medical insurance - is that needed?

See - they made you change.  Mission accomplished!  That's how it's done ppls!
Personally I'd get an agent to make the appointment and submit the paperwork.  I don't want my funds tied up in a bank.  I'd rather keep the marriage extension.  If you ever decide to change back?  Good luck.

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

Thanks for that, Steve. I've made an appointment which is about a month before the existing extension expires and will have the funds in the bank well in time.  Hope this works out okay -  The marriage extension documents weren't too much of a hassle (getting both my children to smile simultaneously for the family pics was the tricky part) but I'd be pleased to do something simpler for a change. 

I do a married extension, but its a small office so once everything is in order, its only 15 minutes or so from walking in without an appointment

2 hours ago, Greenside said:

I changed back many years ago as it's so much simpler and with the online appointment system you can be in and out within an hour, depending on time of day.

Ensure you have all documents completed and CHECKED (outside Immi) at least 20 minutes ahead of appt. time.  Include a copy of your appointment confirmation email.

• Like 1