Michael Cohen Takes Center Stage in Trump's Hush Money Trial

For those who think that the justice system is rigged, you're right. Time to take politics out of the selection of judges.

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-court-flag-stop-steal-alito-trump-9a32d658f5c5baa2bacba25bce7c48cd

Justice Alito’s home flew flag upside down after Trump’s ‘Stop the Steal’ claims, report says

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-court-clarence-thomas-motorcoach-loan-ethics-afed2073e0d7cf4a994256ce35d5063f

A series of reports from the investigative news site ProPublica revealed that Thomas has for years accepted, but not disclosed, luxury trips and other hospitality from Republican megadonor Harlan Crow. 

Crow also purchased the house in Georgia where Thomas’s mother continues to live and paid for two years of private school tuition for a child raised by the Thomases. 

Earlier this year, Thomas did report three private trips he took at Crow’s expense in 2022, after the federal judiciary changed its guidelines for reporting travel. He did not report travel from earlier years.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I'm happy to discuss it.

Cohen is an admitted liar under oath, when he lied to protect his boss trump. Yes, that may impact some members of the jury, but the documents, signed checks and telephone tape are like a combination of the Rosetta Stone and the Dead Sea Scrolls. They point without a doubt to trump's intimate involvement in the hush money payoff and subsequent fraudulent accounting. Tie in Hicks' and Pecker's testimonies, and the fraudulent accounting is directly tied to trump's fear of how it would hurt him in the election. Thus, the evidence says "felony".

As I have noted, Cohen is on probation, and any violation---such as perjury---will send him back to the slammer. Defense can attack his credibility, but that Sword of Damocles threat of jail hangs heavy over Cohen, and the jury will be reminded of that. No one has called any of Cohen's testimony this week perjury.

Of course one person could take the stand and accuse Cohen of perjury, since he claims---when not under oath---that it's all lies. That would be the criminal defendant himself. The odds of trump taking the stand and testifying under oath make buying a winning ticket for Powerball look like short odds in comparison.

Soon enough it's in the hands of the jury.

Here's a prediction: if the jury finds trump guilty of a felony, every trumper here and on Fever Swamp media will accuse Biden of stuffing the jury with his people. There will be a shortage of capital letters on social media to write UNFAIR!.

I suspect it will be a hung jury and the traitor will walk free, giving him another chance to bring a second disaster to the US if voters the Electoral College chooses him again. I also predict that if sanity prevails and trump loses in November, he will foment another terrorist attack on the Capitol and on critics and opponents, because his other indictments will finally reach a court of law, and trump knows full well that means he is likely to die in jail.

A loss would also keep the power of SC appointment in the hands of Biden. By 2028 Sotomayor will have retired, and Alito and Thomas will probably be deceased.

You may be right.  I have a feeling the jurys' eyes were glazed over with all the legal ramblings and theorizing.  The actual hush money payoff was not illegal- it is common. The key is the accounting of the money and who knew/approved.  

Cohen looked sketchy as heck, but that is to be expected. He IS sketchy. How much his credibility will matter is up to the jury. I have heard that there are actually 2 lawyers ON the jury, and they might just be violently angry at Cohen taping conversations with his clients.  So yeah, a hung jury is a definite possibility.  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

You may be right.  I have a feeling the jurys' eyes were glazed over with all the legal ramblings and theorizing.  The actual hush money payoff was not illegal- it is common. The key is the accounting of the money and who knew/approved.  

Cohen looked sketchy as heck, but that is to be expected. He IS sketchy. How much his credibility will matter is up to the jury. I have heard that there are actually 2 lawyers ON the jury, and they might just be violently angry at Cohen taping conversations with his clients.  So yeah, a hung jury is a definite possibility.  

I don't think attorneys on the jury will want a hung jury.

If there is a holdout, it's going to be a Trump fan who lied during the jury selection process.

The jury was reportedly bored during the cross examination of Cohen by the Defense. I am coming around to the idea that the Defense is mailing it in, having already been paid.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

I don't think attorneys on the jury will want a hung jury.

If there is a holdout, it's going to be a Trump fan who lied during the jury selection process.

The jury was reportedly bored during the cross examination of Cohen by the Defense. I am coming around to the idea that the Defense is mailing it in, having already been paid.

Was the jury screened for "Trump fans"?  Wow, never heard that. Wonder if they also screened for TDS...

What people think of the daily grind of the trial seems coloured by their preconceived political beliefs.  Gotta be honest, I am still struggling to see why this is such a big deal, even if it was technically a breach of the law. But that is for me to fix.

• Love It 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Was the jury screened for "Trump fans"?  Wow, never heard that. Wonder if they also screened for TDS...

What people think of the daily grind of the trial seems coloured by their preconceived political beliefs.  Gotta be honest, I am still struggling to see why this is such a big deal, even if it was technically a breach of the law. But that is for me to fix.

Interesting that I read he did manage to get the jury to make a connection.

We will see if Trump will take the stand and purjure himself.

I still expect his Defense team to mail it in, as they have been paid in advance.

Myself, I feel Trump wil be found guitly by a jury of his peers.

We will soon see.

Edited by earlinclaifornia
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Are you ok with Cohen having been jailed for Trump. Three year prison sentence.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-crime-new-york-manhattan-campaigns-3a0413202e80ab99c9f6377f97d07c04

Edited by earlinclaifornia
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Interesting that I read he did manage to get the jury to make a connection.

We will see if Trump will take the stand and purjure himself.

I still expect his Defense team to mail it in, as they have been paid in advance.

Myself, I feel Trump wil be found guitly by a jury of his peers.

We will soon see.

Trump would be an absolute fool to testify.  Which makes it a fifty/fifty chance that he might, just to assuage his ego. But I hope he doesn't, he can only hurt his case.  In any case, the result will go to appeal and take a long time to finally be decided.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

All juries are screened for prejudice, I am not stating that there is a Trump fan on the jury, only that there could be.

I'm not saying the jury system is broken, there are always outliers in any system.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, in the same way that Biden was too old and feeble to be prosecuted for all his stolen classified documents. 

"Obama's presidential campaign has been fined $375,000 by the Federal Election Commission for violating federal disclosure laws, Politico reports.

An FEC audit of Obama for America's 2008 records found the committee failed to disclose millions of dollars in contributions and dragged its feet in refunding millions more in excess contributions.

The resulting fine, one of the largest ever handed down by the FEC, is the result of a failure to disclose or improperly disclosing thousands of contributions to Obama for America during the then-senator's 2008 presidential run, documents show."

Biden personally stole classified documents?

Really?

Who do you think you are convincing by making false statements? As you know, when Biden's staff closed his offices, a handful of classified documents were mixed in some boxes. When they were discovered, they were returned immediately.

On the other hand, Trump's fingerprints are on some of the classified documents he stole and tried to hide.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Love how nobody on the left side of the aisle actually wants to talk about the...topic...of the discussion, instead they prefer to obfuscate and repost their talking points ad nauseum.

The topic is the trial.

Here's a spoiler alert for you:

When the prosecution introduces fact via witness testimony, they become the default narrative unless the Defense can refute them. You can assume that the default narrative becomes what the jury will consider next week.

So, what introduced facts have been disproven by the Defense?

Edited by Danderman123
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The topic is the trial.

Here's a spoiler alert for you:

When the prosecution introduces fact via witness testimony, they become the default narrative unless the Defense can refute them. You can assume that the default narrative becomes what the jury will consider next week.

So, what introduced facts have been disproven by the Defense?

There is no obligation nto disprove anyhting. I see you are still babbling on with your cronies. You still cant point to what crime has been comitted, not any facts to support any real or imaginary crimes. Carry on.

I bet you think Trump is guilty dont you.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

There is no obligation nto disprove anyhting. I see you are still babbling on with your cronies. You still cant point to what crime has been comitted, not any facts to support any real or imaginary crimes. Carry on.

Let's try this:

The way a trial works is that the prosecution makes a case by presenting witnesses who allege facts.

The Defense attacks those alleged facts via cross examination, their own witnesses, or documents.

The jury evaluates those alleged facts by listening to both sides. If the defense doesn't attack an alleged fact, the jury will default to the allegation being true.

So, the question is whether any of the prosecution's alleged facts have been disproven?

You can respond with the usual mindless drivel, which tells everyone that you don't care about the facts, you are just here to make noise.

Edited by Danderman123

29 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

If you leave your bubble and read somehting other than the garbage tossed about in your echo chamber, you will see that real legal experts saw quite a show in the interests of justice as Cohen was destroyed on the witness stand

The Defense just mailed it in during their cross examination of Cohen.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

I can point to the charging document that lays out the statutes that Trump has violated.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I can point to the charging document that lays out the statutes that Trump has violated.

Thats the issue you have ignored since I first raised it pages ago. Lets try again, for the umpteenth time so that the world knows what a fake you are.

Name the statute that brings this case out of being time barred and the facts to support it. Like UI said over again, you cant because it doesnt exist, and you arent mentally capable of critical thinking.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Yagoda said:

I dont think the prosecution has alleged any facts, thats the problem.

Anyone paying attention to the trial understands that your statement isn't true.

Trump arranged to have Cohen paid for "legal services", which was really compensation for the hush money payment.

13 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Thats the issue you have ignored since I first raised it pages ago. Lets try again, for the umpteenth time so that the world knows what a fake you are.

Name the statute that brings this case out of being time barred and the facts to support it. Like UI said over again, you cant because it doesnt exist, and you arent mentally capable of critical thinking.

Name the statute that governs the statute of limitations for business fraud.

14 hours ago, Yagoda said:

NY state election law 17-152 is the statute. Now stop badgering and post something factual and accurate. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

NY state election law 17-152 is the statute. Now stop badgering and post something factual and accurate. 

Half right.

Factual and accurate? Ya mean like YOUR HERO, Mike Cohen. Next thing you know that anything he says is worthy of belief.

Hey, new name for the Democrats: The Party of Perjurers LOL.

Tell me what other statute Trump violated? Crickets.

That is a real challenge for the Trumpaphobics, maybe you will do better than the trial. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Anyone paying attention to the trial understands that your statement isn't true.

Trump arranged to have Cohen paid for "legal services", which was really compensation for the hush money payment.

Really? So your allegation is that Trump personaly arranged for the whore to be paid off, then personaly arranged the payment knowing that you cant claim a hush money payment as a "legal serices".?

Well thats a misdeameanor at the worst. So what makes it a felony? What law was broken to bring it into a felony?

You cant answer, its way to complicated for folks whose brain only has room for the Trumpophobic fantasies and are unable to see anyhting in reality anymore.

If the bulk of legal scholars, such as Dershowitz and I think even the Chicken choker on CNN agrees.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Really? So your allegation is that Trump personaly arranged for the whore to be paid off, then personaly arranged the payment knowing that you cant claim a hush money payment as a "legal serices".?

Well thats a misdeameanor at the worst. So what makes it a felony? What law was broken to bring it into a felony?

You cant answer, its way to complicated for folks whose brain only has room for the Trumpophobic fantasies and are unable to see anyhting in reality anymore.

If the bulk of legal scholars, such as Dershowitz and I think even the Chicken choker on CNN agrees.

The payment to Stormy Daniels was a campaign finance violation that Michael Cohen pled guilty to. Trump committed business fraud by trying to cover up the campaign finance violation.

You will forget this by tomorrow.

Yeah, the jury may decide it's only a misdemeanor.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Thanks 1