Protests Erupt in Georgia Over Controversial "Foreign Influence" Law

image.png

In a dramatic display of dissent, crowds flooded the streets of Georgia's capital, Tbilisi, following parliament's approval of a contentious "foreign influence" bill. The legislation, perceived by critics as reminiscent of Russian-style censorship, has sparked outrage among demonstrators and drawn international concern.

The Vote: Amid heated debate, lawmakers voted 84-30 in favor of the bill, prompting immediate outcry from protesters gathered outside parliament. Attempts to breach barriers resulted in clashes with authorities, leading to multiple arrests and injuries. The passage of the bill, seen as a blow to free speech and democratic principles, ignited widespread condemnation.

Contentious Provisions: The bill mandates registration for media outlets and NGOs receiving over 20% of their funding from abroad, labeling them as "pursuing the interests of a foreign power." While the government argues it is necessary to combat foreign interference, opponents denounce it as a tool for stifling dissent and undermining Georgia's democratic aspirations.

International Backlash: European Council President Charles Michel emphasized the importance of upholding democratic principles for Georgia's EU aspirations, while the White House expressed deep concern, warning of repercussions for Georgia's relationship with the U.S. if the law is enacted. Assistant Secretary of State James O'Brien urged adherence to EU norms and voiced opposition to any crackdown on peaceful protests.

Political Turmoil: The bill's passage exacerbates existing tensions between President Salome Zourabichvili and the ruling Georgian Dream party. Despite Zourabichvili's pledge to veto the legislation, Georgian Dream holds a majority capable of overriding her decision. Renewed demonstrations underscore widespread discontent and highlight divisions within Georgian politics.

Street Clashes and Parliamentary Brawls: Recent protests have been marked by confrontations between demonstrators and police, culminating in a brawl within parliament. Accusations of political vendettas and manipulation have intensified the discord between ruling and opposition factions, fueling the unrest.

Unified Resistance: Opposition figures have rallied against the bill, framing the protests as a collective struggle for Georgia's European future. Amid accusations of betrayal and constitutional breaches, demonstrators remain steadfast in their demand for the preservation of democratic values and freedoms.

Uncertain Future: With President Zourabichvili's veto power in question and the ruling party's determination to push the bill forward, Georgia stands at a crossroads. The outcome of this legislative battle will not only shape the country's domestic landscape but also its international standing and aspirations for European integration.

Credit: BBC 2024-05-15

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Agree 1

I must confess to being shocked at this. Why wouldn't the west....indeed why wouldn't anyone at all.... wish to know who is sponsoring the information that foreign agents are putting out? One of the first things I do when I see some group like "The Atlantic Council", or "The Anus Think Tank" is to check out who is funding them to see if they are likely to be just another propaganda group (which they always are) or whether they might be an independent group with someone valid to say (almost never, as the groups that get their crap in the press are well funded and have plenty of media contacts). 

The only answer I can come up with is that the West are funding these subversive groups that have wrecked the peace of the world with their colour revolutions and the like. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2024 at 3:41 AM, retarius said:

I must confess to being shocked at this. Why wouldn't the west....indeed why wouldn't anyone at all.... wish to know who is sponsoring the information that foreign agents are putting out? One of the first things I do when I see some group like "The Atlantic Council", or "The Anus Think Tank" is to check out who is funding them to see if they are likely to be just another propaganda group (which they always are) or whether they might be an independent group with someone valid to say (almost never, as the groups that get their crap in the press are well funded and have plenty of media contacts). 

The only answer I can come up with is that the West are funding these subversive groups that have wrecked the peace of the world with their colour revolutions and the like. 

More specifically than the west it's the Yanks up to their usual. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2024 at 10:15 PM, Danderman123 said:

The pro-Russian government in Georgia won't be around much longer.

Well they have more than twice the support of the next party in the most recent poll so how do they lose power? Another coup sponsored by the Yanks like in Ukraine in February 2014?

• Thanks 1