Can Durian kill you when you drink alcohol?

george

Posted (edited)

Duplicated  but whilst i'm here,,,, I don't  equate the smell exactly  with "rotting trash" there is an element of that ,  but it puts me more in mind me of the smell released when removing a manhole cover from a live public sewer, especially one of the larger ones.  

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

What happened when I tried it was something amazing. I found it delicious and the smell instantly went from bad to fragrant and I was hooked.

Same. I now enjoy the smell of durian. And getting a perfect durian--is always an enjoyable hunt. Because some durians are better than others. Don't want one too hard. Don't want one overly slimy (although somewhat slimy is okay). Want one puffy and light, like biting into a pastry. As for the alcohol. I can't see the taste of wine or beer going much with durian.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Same. I now enjoy the smell of durian. And getting a perfect durian--is always an enjoyable hunt. Because some durians are better than others. Don't want one too hard. Don't want one overly slimy (although somewhat slimy is okay). Want one puffy and light, like biting into a pastry. As for the alcohol. I can't see the taste of wine or beer going much with durian.

The wine bit is just stupid AI and absolutely no editing checks before uploading the article, but having some beer or whiskey (yep! Irish spelling whiskey with an e) in your guts already or eating then drinking not too long after is the same as drinking and eating at the same time. All has time to mix in your guts. I'll have a couple of beers and not a whole lot of durian (difficult) and I'm ok. If I've got some mangosteens I'll finish off with one or two of those and my tummy doesn't get too hot. Too much beer and too much durian I can really feel the heat in my guts.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

The author of this article does not understand much about chemistry ("..It plays a role in converting bad enzymes from alcohol into harmless fatty acids and carbon dioxide.."

Based to the source used by the author of the article in question,

(https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257164028_The_influence_of_durian_Durio_zibethinus_Murray_cv_Monthong_on_conditioned_taste_aversion_to_ethanol),

it seems possible durian really might have a negative (dangerous?, lethal?) effect when consumed with alcohol. But same applies to cabbage. Still it can be assumed the same applies to some other fruits and vegetables.

With cabbage the peak level of alcohol and acetaldehyde overlapped, so it might be more difficult for the alcohol consumer to notice the negative effect when consuming cabbage. That might be the/one reason why durian is the notorious one.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, GrungthepGringo said:

Alcohol will kill you even without the durian. The durian is a red herring. Here is a good solution: Quit drinking alcohol completely, switch to cannabis and eat twice as much durian. 

Alcohol is cheaper than both.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, dinsdale said:

As I posted above this was my attitude towards durian. Once someone convinced me to eat some my attitude changed completely. Of course having never eaten any I didn't know what it tastes like and my opinion, as is yours, was shaped only by the smell, by perception. What happened when I tried it was something amazing. I found it delicious and the smell instantly went from bad to fragrant and I was hooked.

What absolutely every Thai, but not many foreigners, know: not every durian is created equal by far.

There are some very high-priced cultivers, which taste absolutely fragrant and delishious. And there is the common garden variety sold for little money on the street side which tastes, hmmm, you get what you pay for. Also taste differs between ripe and unripe or overripe fruit, so there also is a right time for it -- never, ever buy the fruits already cut out under plastic as sold in the supermarket, it regularly is mushy nasty-tasting trash.

So if wanting to try this fruit, get a knowledgeable Thai to buy the right kind at the right ripeness for you.

With regard to the alcohol: durian is one of quite a number of fruit which will interfere with your liver enzymes; another is grapefruit. They do not only make alcohol more toxic, but many medicines that are removed over the liver can also be affected. I would not think it will be deadly, but you might get a much stronger overhang as you are used to.

I was warned about eating durian and drinking beer together with a story about a famous and alcoholic Thai boxer who died from drinking a lot of whisky while eating a lot of durian. This was almost 25 years ago. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Something smells about this article. Old wives tale or fact? How often while having one beer or a g+t have I heard my wife say "You're drinking. I was just going to give you some durian." I would think that if you are consuming a bucket of beer then it would be unwise to eat durian, my favourite fruit. Ripe that is. Burp! Pardon me.😋

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2024 at 12:19 AM, still kicking said:

You don't have to drink alcohol just the smell can kill you. :sorry:

The smell of alcohol can kill ????