Can Durian kill you when you drink alcohol?

george

During my first trip to Thailand and to the "boonies" in 1991, my former Thai wife neglected to warn me about mixing scotch with durian. The next morning and through the following day, I was sicker than I have ever been in my life. Never again!

44 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Something smells about this article. Old wives tale or fact? How often while having one beer or a g+t have I heard my wife say "You're drinking. I was just going to give you some durian." I would think that if you are consuming a bucket of beer then it would be unwise to eat durian, my favourite fruit. Ripe that is. Burp! Pardon me.😋

It is an old wives tale started by women like my lovely wife who do not really want to share the durian with their husband.

• Like 1

Given the popularity of both Durian and alcohol in Thailand, I would want to see empirical evidence of the risk of joint consumption. If there is none, I will carry on as before. 

• Like 1

I have seen a middle aged Thai businessman throw up for quite some time in a main road after mixing durian and Thai whisky.

I was persuaded to try durian in a bowl of coconut milk, which masks the smell. I love a piece now and then but will never mix it with alcohol.