Thailand Tax on Expat Pensions 2024

14 minutes ago, topt said:

Just because in Pattaya we pay 300 baht does not mean every IO charges it. My understanding is for many non tourist places it is actually free - as it is supposed to be........

Yes, I agree with this, but they make good money out of it in the tourist area, wouldn't you agree? 

16 minutes ago, topt said:

You really do come out with some flights of fancy -

That's coming from a someone who has just posted Certificate of Residence should be free, but cost 300 baht in tourist areas. 

If you mentioned this to a foreigner who has never paid for one before, because they live in Issan, do you think they would consider it a "flight of fancy" or a fact? 

Just now, KhunHeineken said:

Yes, I agree with this, but they make good money out of it in the tourist area, wouldn't you agree? 

That's coming from a someone who has just posted Certificate of Residence should be free, but cost 300 baht in tourist areas. 

If you mentioned this to a foreigner who has never paid for one before, because they live in Issan, do you think they would consider it a "flight of fancy" or a fact? 

Flight of fancy was to do with your overall post -

COR gets discussed many times so I don't see why they would not believe it.

COR is required for many things

Claiming that Immigration would ask for a tax clearance cert. just to generate some money via the RD is the flight of fancy........

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The difference, and it is a big one, is that the tax thing is NOT an Immigration Dept rule.  The bank letters, proof of income, are. And are required per Immigration Police Order. No such requirement for tax clearance for people on retirement extension.

Why should the Immigration Dept take on the Revenue Dept's job on a matter that does not concern Imm and is not covered in any IMM police order?

That may be a difference and enough that they wouldn't do it.

But on the second question, I don't feel they would need to "take on the Revenue Dept's job", any more than they take on the bank's job in verifying your income.  They just tell you what they require and you go to the agency (the bank in one instance, the Revenue Dept in the other) and get what they ask for...or you don't get extended.

But I will drop it since it's clear that some other people (not you) are getting defensive and hostile on the topic.

Edited by QuantumQuandry

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Please don't call it scaremongering and report every post mentioning it.  If you feel that way, just don't read the posts discussing it. 

Do not tell me what I can and should not read.  I did not report it!   Another unsubstantiated comnent from you. 

This original post was regarding UK pensions, which i answered quite clearly.

You decided to hijack the thread with your own agenda.

You obviously are totally dogmatic in your views and don't like it when people stand up to your unsubstantiated posts and scaremongering.  Give it a rest!

Edited by Raindancer

6 minutes ago, topt said:

COR gets discussed many times so I don't see why they would not believe it.

Exactly my point.  So no "flight of fancy" there.

7 minutes ago, topt said:

Claiming that Immigration would ask for a tax clearance cert. just to generate some money via the RD is the flight of fancy........

I am saying foreigners MAY have to pay the RD for the clearance certificate, in the same way we pay 300 baht for a Certificate of Residence.  All immigration will do is require it, as it currently does other documents, before issuing an extension.

An earner, officially or "tea money" for the RD, not immigration.

You are still looking at the whole policy as being workable.  It's such a mess that maybe we are missing what it's really all about.  Just a simple way to make foreigners pay for another piece of paper.   Maybe that's all it is. 

Maybe there will be no serious attempt investigating individuals for tax purposes, unless they are very high net worth individuals, or authorities suspect criminal behavior.

If you think this is all "flight of fancy" perhaps you can post how you think the policy can work, in its current form. 

5 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:
21 minutes ago, topt said:

I am saying foreigners MAY have to pay the RD for the clearance certificate, in the same way we pay 300 baht for a Certificate of Residence.  All immigration will do is require it, as it currently does other documents, before issuing an extension.

This is just conjecture and speculation at this point, right?

5 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

This is just conjecture and speculation at this point, right?

Yes, of course it is.  I have no links about it.  I have never put it forward as fact. 

I have given my reasons for suggesting it.  The main reason being, the tax policy is a total mess and unworkable in its current form, but maybe it was never designed to work. 

All it may have been designed to do is make foreigners pay for another document, either officially, or "tea money"  and / or, create another service for "agents." 

Is it really that long a bow to draw when it's already been happening in other areas for decades? 

Thread participants have been cautioned several times but seem unable to follow direction, fortunately there are plenty more threads on this subject..

The OP may wish to follow other aspects of the debates about Thai tax in the link below.

This thread is now closed.

• Agree 1