Honda civic 2.0 engine swap Chiang mai

I have a 2006 Honda civic with a 2.0 liter engine, good engine but getting old. I would like to swap it out for a K20z3 if possible and need to know who in Chiang mai does this? If too expensive, then possible swap out for a K24 but I think its has too many modifications.

anybody on this forum know any mechanics/shops that specializes in this?

thanks for reading

Posted (edited)

You're making your life difficult. 

After swapping out engines you'll need to have the car inspected at the DLT, get engine numbers updated in blue book. 

Sell your car and buy another car. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You're making your life difficult. 

After swapping out engines you'll need to have the car inspected at the DLT, get engine numbers updated in blue book. 

Very easily done.   The engine-swapper shop may assist with that...mine did.

A front cut is where I would start.

That will give you a whole bunch of parts that you either need or are desirable.

Driveshafts

Gearbox and clutch

Gear linkage

Engine wiring loom

ECU

Brakes

Instruments (with higher rpm and probably higher speed)

Engine mounts

etc etc

4 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

Why not fix the engine you got.

Better than a P.O.S you know nothing about.

This is a real possibilty but I need a cost compare. Rebuild with a better camshaft without the advanced gear and all bearings, seals, heads ported/polished, upgrade the carburetor with E85 sensor and maybe a larger gas tank. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Inlandchris1 said:

This is a real possibilty but I need a cost compare. Rebuild with a better camshaft without the advanced gear and all bearings, seals, heads ported/polished, upgrade the carburetor with E85 sensor and maybe a larger gas tank. 

Ok, I cant help you there.

But this is an 18 year old Honda civic.

It's not anything special, so why all the up grades.  

Ps, I do like the idea,  of prolonging the life of a car. rather than just throwing it away and getting an Ev.

good luck with your project. :thumbsup:

Edited by rocketboy2
  • Thumbs Up 1

This car I have taken care of it a lot, one of the most reliable car I have owned. Buying a used car is not in the cards. Buying a new car is expensive and they are not as good as my car. So, the answer is keep my car and add a little more hp to it along with E85. 

4 minutes ago, Inlandchris1 said:

This car I have taken care of it a lot, one of the most reliable car I have owned. Buying a used car is not in the cards. Buying a new car is expensive and they are not as good as my car. So, the answer is keep my car and add a little more hp to it along with E85. 

Fair enough.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Inlandchris1 said:

I have a 2006 Honda civic with a 2.0 liter engine, good engine but getting old. I would like to swap it out for a K20z3 if possible and need to know who in Chiang mai does this? If too expensive, then possible swap out for a K24 but I think its has too many modifications.

anybody on this forum know any mechanics/shops that specializes in this?

thanks for reading

I have a rough idea of prices for engines...about 65K for the k20a3 (I assume you have the es civic 2004-06). I had the 04 car. The k24A2 + 5 speed from Japan has around 200hp or more and 95 to 115K baht. 

I think the engine should mate up to the standard 5 speed auto, but with manual it should be fun. 

I don't know anything about who can do that in Chiang Mai though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Inlandchris1 said:

We sold ours in 2019 and got a crv diesel. 

Problem with this civic was the air cond compressor. And fuel economy was just 10 km/l, But the engine and gearbox were fine even at 250k kms. We serviced in at the dealer until 200k kms. The new owner still has it and drives it daily. 

Maybe just get a compression test done on your engine first. You can get a bit more hp from a full intake, exhaust and remap. This is if you are on a budget. If not, drop in a k24. 

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

We sold ours in 2019 and got a crv diesel. 

Problem with this civic was the air cond compressor. And fuel economy was just 10 km/l, But the engine and gearbox were fine even at 250k kms. We serviced in at the dealer until 200k kms. The new owner still has it and drives it daily. 

Maybe just get a compression test done on your engine first. You can get a bit more hp from a full intake, exhaust and remap. This is if you are on a budget. If not, drop in a k24. 

Well then, I consider myself very lucky. On the engine, only had the water pump go out/noisy. Everything else still works fine. Engine is okay at 250,000 km but will take it in for a valve adjustment because of the clacky noise. However, still interested in a rebuild or a swap with a k20 

You'll need to take it to the DLT, the local inspection stations can't update blue book, it's got to go for a full pit inspection. 

Reading the comments on this thread makes me feel very uncomfortable. 

Why would grown men want to go down this path, in Thailand?

OMG, I'm shocked. 

This job I would attempt in my youth, only because I had very little money.

These days I upgrade new vehicles every 5 or so years, thank God.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You'll need to take it to the DLT, the local inspection stations can't update blue book, it's got to go for a full pit inspection. 

Reading the comments on this thread makes me feel very uncomfortable. 

Why would grown men want to go down this path, in Thailand?

OMG, I'm shocked. 

This job I would attempt in my youth, only because I had very little money.

These days I upgrade new vehicles every 5 or so years, thank God.

Because done right the end result would be fun.

By contrast the current Honda range is just a bunch of CVT dross with small turbo engines. 

• Confused 1

On 5/27/2024 at 10:01 AM, In the jungle said:

Because done right the end result would be fun.

By contrast the current Honda range is just a bunch of CVT dross with small turbo engines. 

well our standard city turbo is quicker than out old k20a3, and 50% better fuel economy. The cvt in it is fine. 

On 5/27/2024 at 2:10 AM, Inlandchris1 said:

Well then, I consider myself very lucky. On the engine, only had the water pump go out/noisy. Everything else still works fine. Engine is okay at 250,000 km but will take it in for a valve adjustment because of the clacky noise. However, still interested in a rebuild or a swap with a k20 

k20type R motors are very expensive. you will be looking to 150-200K; upper price with a 6 speed manual. 

In your position Id got for a k24A2 from a Japanese accord/odyssey. The civic really lacked mid range torque, and this will more than fill the gap. It would be more driveable at normal speeds than type r engine that will like to be revved. 

• Thumbs Up 1