Least-Favored Retirement Refuge: IF Super Cheap, what is yours?

Posted (edited)

Dear Folks,

Here on the TV Farang Pub, we often read comments of those who longingly express their personal preferences for the perfect place to retire.

Yet, we also know that most of those who communicate their innermost wishes, most likely, have not the means to ever reach these lands of their dreams,...

At least, before they die.

So what about considering a few least-favored spots for offshore retirement, by contrast?

Can you think of some places which, though very cheap, are still doable, though not, especially, your first choice?

Sure.

Thailand is cheap and wonderful.

But then, what might happen if one were suddenly cast out, either due to visa-rules changes, or for any host of other reasons?

If you had to suddenly pack up and leave Thailand, then what retirement destinations might be your very worst nightmare?

Let us consider this question, not so much as a pure thought experiment, but more as a REALITY CHECK, to keep us mindful just how lucky we have it here.

There are a few places that I would least like to retire to....

And one of these places is this one:

The Danakil Desert

(not sure what kind of retirement visa is offered here, but there must be something).

image.png.c24dec3c62e302d3d988c1a3490aaa1d.png

I have read about life in the salt flats of Danakil, and I think one could live quite well, and on very little money.

By comparison, for example, just judging from these photos, even a pauper would be comparatively wealthy.

The secret to FEELING wealthy is to seek out the poorest places in the world, in some people's views.

And, we know that there are those on TV who have realized that, as Thai people become wealthier, then their perceived financial status....

Dwindles commensurately.

This could be a benefit and a boon for those now living in Thailand who wish to live in a place where their comparative wealth might seem greater.

image.png.ddc0d14d635863bd58ac01bff5a90682.png

image.png.3ee3bb46d562a1572d63238889e5b69f.png

It seems to me that, even with very little money, one could move to a place like this and live quite well, comparatively, by local standards.

We do know from Social Science that perceived wealth, compared to one's neighbors, is almost as important as absolute wealth.

In other words, in the mind of the human being, it is actually more important to have more than one's neighbor, than to have any arbitrary amount of wealth.

Do you have any ideas about what might be the cheapest, though LEAST-FAVORED, retirement destination that you would consider....if....

You had to choose a Plan-B?

Personally, I would not mind retiring to the Danakil Desert, provided that I could get Musk's Starlink Internet service.

I would envision setting up a Solar Power installation for my home.

I would have solid internet.

I would have a magnificent night sky, with stars from horizon to horizon.

And, the salt air is quite healthy.

No Soi Dogs, obviously.

I can imagine a rather nice existence there.

No need to mine the salt, of course.

The salt miners would just be part of the scenery, and nothing to do with me.

I might even find a Gal Friday there.

Definitely doable!

But then:

What is your retirement fantasy for a Least-Favored retirement spot?

And, you never know....because....

Very often, what one least expects to be a happy place can turn out to be much more pleasurable than one had originally anticipated.

Have any ideas about even better places, around the world?

Best regards,

Gamma

Edited by GammaGlobulin

frivolous nonsense BS, mind boggling waste of space, just as well the owners of this website does not limit

posters from spreading their drivels otherwise you'd be relegated to only for lines in each post...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

And of course this poster is allowed to post this shyte repeatedly despite several complaints because of course it gets clicks which equate to money in the bank as it drives up their revenue for advertising. 

My daily newsletter gets this crap every day from this poster which I can usually spot for the drivel it is but occasionally I do accidently click on it. Can we fix this so the author is shown on the newsletter so I can avoid it please.

Edited by nglodnig

44 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Can we fix this so the author is shown on the newsletter so I can avoid it please.

Would this not just equate to being further FREE promotion of the author?

And, thusly, be rather counterproductive, from your point of view?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

OP reminds me of that Buffalo Springfield song because you're never quite sure what the thread is about

there's somethin' happenin' here

what it is ain't exactly clear

NICE!

But...
Long Version....BETTER....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Agree 1