Changing permission of stay from work to retirement

I will be retiring from my university job in Chiang Mai and applying for extension based on retirement.  My understanding I can only do it when less than 21 days before expiration of current extension, which is July 21.

I understand I have to cancel my current extension based on work and immediately apply for extension based on retirement.  Will they cancel it using the last day of work (same as current extension expiration July 21) as the cancellation date?

Work permit cancellation.  Some places I read you cancel the WP on the last day of work.  Does immigration need to see the cancellation of the WP or just a current copy and original when I apply for the new extension?  Or can I get them to put the cancellation date as the last day of work if I apply for the cancellation?

Bank requirements:  I've had over 800k in the bank for years and understand I need a bank letter.  Also bank statement covering 2 months and up dated the day I go to immigration as this is my first extension based on retirement.  I'm with Bangkok Bank and several said it takes up to 7 days to get the bank letter.  I assume the bank statement can be done on the spot.

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm with Bangkok Bank and several said it takes up to 7 days to get the bank letter.  I assume the bank statement can be done on the spot.

The bank letter can be done on the spot.  Any bank statement covering a period greater than six months ago can take up to 7 days at Bangkok Bank as those records are not available at the branches but only from the Bangkok Bank headquarters.

On 6/3/2024 at 9:01 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Bank requirements:  I've had over 800k in the bank for years and understand I need a bank letter.  Also bank statement covering 2 months and up dated the day I go to immigration as this is my first extension based on retirement.  I'm with Bangkok Bank and several said it takes up to 7 days to get the bank letter.  I assume the bank statement can be done on the spot.

You only need the three month statement, that the Bangkok Bank can give you on the spot together with their stand letter for retirement-application. It's when you needs more than a six months statement the print has to be made by the head office and takes around a week.

Some immigration offices require photocopy of all pages in the bank book.

Ask you local immigration office about their requirements, they might have a list of which documentation they need for an extension based on retirement, so you can prepare all paperwork; they might also wish a printed Google-map with your home and a copy of your TM30-registration.

I've been staying based on retirement for almost 18 years now. I use a separate account for my 800k baht deposit – fixed account for best interest, which I withdraw annually – so it easy for both the immigration officer and you, instead of account mixed with daily transactions. If you not already have a special deposit account, then be aware of the two month maturing period before application, and three month after extension of stay is granted; move your deposit funds to a separate account during the remaining around half a year, so you haven't touched the required deposit.

• Thumbs Up 1