How's Samui these days? Should be low season but booking rooms prices are still high.

It has been very busy up to May but things are quietening down this month.

As you say, it should be low season and that is reflected in the villa bookings that we see. Even though many owners are dropping prices, uptake is slow.

I cannot speak for hotel rates.

Less traffic on the roads (at last) and the quieter beaches are even more quiet.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, steelerian said:

gone very quiet last 3 to 4 weeks, and will remin so until middle of july

I've got 4 nights booked at the Ibaza resort middle of July. It's hard to get rooms at a nice place for 3 people with more than one large bed. So I reserved a 2 bedroom place 7K/night. Still looking for a place for 3 more nights, I'm thinking Lamaii Beach. 

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Still looking for a place for 3 more nights,

Have you considered Choengmon beach? (North of Chaweng.)

Very underrated. I think that it is one of the best beaches on the island, and quiet compared to Lamai or Chaweng.

It is not a party place. Just chill.

Lots of good restaurants.

I do not know the Ibaza resort so I cannot offer comparisons.

Mid July - you may find that some places will be quoting high season prices.

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've got 4 nights booked at the Ibaza resort middle of July. It's hard to get rooms at a nice place for 3 people with more than one large bed. So I reserved a 2 bedroom place 7K/night. Still looking for a place for 3 more nights, I'm thinking Lamaii Beach. 

From middle of July it's high season again. According to Surat Thani-province the number of tourists have so far been record high this year, and it's mainly Samui and Phangan the tourists flock to.

Depending of what standard and facilities you are looking for, there are many bungalow resorts on the beaches, which could be of interest with relative affordable prices – i.e. lower than 7k baht per night – in areas with good facilities like local shopping and many restaurants. You can use Google Street View to check beaches and surrounding areas, and also find resorts of interest and contact information.

Also depending of age of third person, to side-by-side bungalows might be an option. Try to check as suggested by @Tropicalevo or for example Maenam Beach. Also Ibiz Hotel there is known as a budget priced family hotel ("budget price" is relative).

• Like 1