False Tsunami Alarm In Krabi Frighten Tourists

george

False tsunami alarm in Krabi frighten tourists

KRABI: -- Seven disaster-warning towers in Krabi unexpectedly sounded an alarm simultaneously on Saturday evening, prompting residents and tourists to run for higher ground in fear of a tsunami. It was later deemed faulty alarms and officials were investigating the cause.

Krabi disaster prevention and mitigation officer Thalerngsak Phuwayanapong said he was informed that the warning towers at Koh Phi Phi pier, Saladan, Koh Lanta, Koh Jam, Yao Beach, Laem Sak Bay and Ao Leuk Bay sounded sirens and warning messages in five languages at 5pm, prompting locals and tourists to run for their lives.

Checking with Nonthaburi's National Disaster Warning Centre (NDWC), Thalerngsak was told no earthquake occurred in the southern region that could trigger a tsunami and no officials pressed any buttons or sent signals to the towers. Moreover, the seven towers were not yet connected to the NDWC, he said, adding that officials were checking what could cause such a problem.

Thalerngsak urged residents and tourists to go back to their homes and resume normal activities.

-- The Nation 2007-07-28

Yes but there is also the story of the boy who cried "wolf" If there are too many mistakes, drills, practices, VIP's who want to hear them etc. then people will be less inclined to run at the sound of the alarm. At least this time it was a false alarm - but they must find who was responsible.

False tsunami alarm in Krabi frighten tourists

Moreover, the seven towers were not yet connected to the NDWC, he said, adding that officials were checking what could cause such a problem.

-- The Nation 2007-07-28

Dodgy thai wiring/electrician perhaps?

well at least they know the things work. I always had a feeling that the day they are needed and someone hits the button, nothing would happen.

its reassuring that something so important works for a change ,even if it was a false alarm :o

well at least they know the things work. I always had a feeling that the day they are needed and someone hits the button, nothing would happen.

its reassuring that something so important works for a change ,even if it was a false alarm :o

For it to be working, I would expect the alarms to go off when the button is indeed pressed, and to not go off, when it is not pressed. In fact - I would suggest that it needs to be connected to the national-system, before I would claim, that it is in full working-order. Why has it not yet been connected-up ?

But TIT . :D

For it to be working, I would expect the alarms to go off when the button is indeed pressed, and to not go off, when it is not pressed. In fact - I would suggest that it needs to be connected to the national-system, before I would claim, that it is in full working-order. Why has it not yet been connected-up ?

They haven't been connected because they were purchased separately by the provinces themselves and have not yet been approved by the NDWC.

The national system is activated from the Centre and the alarm is raised at all points. They will not connect these additional points until they have been inspected and found to meet the standards. This means that at present they are triggered locally. Apparently some contractors are not entirely happy that their work has not yet been approved for connection to the national system.

Maybe a testing schedule would be a good idea.

At home in my small community we use old air-raid sirens to notify all of the volunteer firefighters when there is an emergency. Every Tuesday night at 8 PM the sirens are run for one minute, to make sure that they are all working.

Something like this would be a good idea for the Tsunami system... it would make sure that all of the equipment is working on a regular basis. Furthermore, residents would be used to the schedule and attuned to the sound of the alarm for when it goes off for real.

The tsunami warning system is just another fiasco.

False alarms and shoddy maintenence practices will ensure the system will not be effective when the next tsunami hits.

Unlikley any system put in now or in the next ten years will still be effective when the next tsunami hits Thailand, particulary when it's quite likely that it won't happen for 1000's of years.

It would be #really# interesting to hear who is responsible for this, as we have suffered cancellations because of this incident and frightened tourists cutting their holiday short are -- understandably -- expecting some kind of remedy.

But the same as the government was completely unwilling to help after the tsunami with a single Baht (how stupid of us not to be fishermen and owning longtail boats instead), I guess this is just another TiT-incident.

Asking people to just 'go on' with their normal day does not seem to be a sufficient answer to me...

I was in Phuket last week when they tested the alarms there. They were pathetic. There I was right on Pathong beach and the alarms were like a car alarm going off about a mile away. It failed to wake my son and I failed to believe that it was really the alarm until I checked with the staff.

Inquiry to probe what triggers tsunami false alerts

There are 32 towers, 12 of them built by the National Disaster Warning Centre and the rest by the contractor. Workers at the NDWC's central warning system in Nonthaburi province have insisted they did not set off the alarm. Many of the towers which sounded the false alarms on Saturday are locally operated and not linked to the central warning system. ''If this is a technical problem, we have to fix it immediately,'' said Mr Siwa, who fears the mistake could dent public confidence in provincial early warning management. ''But if the problem goes beyond a mere technical error, we have to identify those responsible,'' he added. The governor said it was essential to win public confidence in the effectiveness of the system.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=120540

Edited by sriracha john

Just about everybody has a cell phone.

Why not run the alarm thru the phones?

And who gets up in the middle of the night to read their SMS messages?

I was in Phuket last week when they tested the alarms there. They were pathetic. There I was right on Pathong beach and the alarms were like a car alarm going off about a mile away. It failed to wake my son and I failed to believe that it was really the alarm until I checked with the staff.

3 years later and the system is still incomplete and faulty. Thailand refused back then to join other countries in setting up a uniform system. I'll bet that, again, people in charge immediately saw an opportunity for overpriced equipment and substandard construction for personal gain while the lives of citizens and tourists came second.

Does anybody remember the inauguration of Bangkok police surveillance system that completely failed when it was officially turned on? :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

False alarms are as bad as no alarms. This is truly sad and pathetic. There should be some immediate consequences to someone--or a few--for this. Alarm systems must have the greatest level of confidence in order to be effective.

Of course if there is a real tsunami, they could just yell "Thaksin is coming!" and then they would see everyone head for the hills!

MiniVDO: A computer error was blamed for false tsunami alarms in Krabi.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=214384

The Saturday July 28th false alarm for tsunami warnings, which caused panic and injuries for residents and tourists in various locations of Krabi including the famous Phi Phi and Lanta Islands, prompted the Krabi Governor to lead all responsible personnel on Sunday morning to inspect the cause. The false alarms triggered at 5pm in 12 towers and sounded messages for about 30 minutes while people evacuated to higher ground following evacuation routes. This resulted in at least four tourists being injured.

At 5.56 pm, the National Disaster Warning Center or NDWC in Bangkok sent out SMS messages stating that they did not trigger the alarms and that there was no tsunami warning. The Krabi Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office Chief Tha-loeng-sak Pu-wa-yan-pong confirmed that the 12 towers were installed by a private company under the Governor’s CEO’s budget and that they are among 20 that are not yet linked with the NDWC. The private company pledged to take care of the expenses for those injured from the incident, as the false alarm was confirmed to have been caused by the company’s computer stationed in Bangkok.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast from Phuket City to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe later on Phuket Cable TV Channel 1, Wednesday 1 August 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com {Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied, but give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket or contact [email protected]}

Interview - Krabi Governor Mr. Siwa Sirisaowaluck on Tsunami Towers & redevelopment

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=214394

Our interview is with the Krabi Governor Mr. Siwa Sirisaowaluck, who talks about matters discussed with the Prime Minister when he visited Krabi in July & met Andaman Governors mid-May.

But first he brings us up to date on the complete Tsunami evacuation drills held 25 July and false alarm for tsunami warnings that occurred 28 July on Phi Phi and Lanta Islands from private towers: ……........ www.krabi.go.th

as the false alarm was confirmed to have been caused by the company’s computer

d%^$ machines , would of never happened if a human had been involved .......................................

as the false alarm was confirmed to have been caused by the company’s computer

d%^$ machines , would of never happened if a human had been involved .......................................

Yup these computers have a mind of their own - at least they found the guilty party :o

Nice of the company to pay the medical expenses on behalf of the bad computer :D

as the false alarm was confirmed to have been caused by the company's computer

Yup these computers have a mind of their own - at least they found the guilty party :o

Nice of the company to pay the medical expenses on behalf of the bad computer :D

by the time there is a tsunami no body will take any notice ,lets hope they sort it asap for everyone's sake :D