Foreigners Rescue Sea Turtles from Fishing Net in Thalang

webfact

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

Did any Thais who saw this offer to help the turtles?

Why do you post something like that? The foreigners were already helping. I am pretty sure that there was both Thai and foreigners walking by without doing anything before that. I am also sure that it would have been Thai´s doing the helping if the good ones of them came before the foreigners.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Be careful foreigners, you may get fined!  I'm sure this is a job reserved for Thais. 

Good on you for helping. 

Yeah I thought fined for touching marine creatures lol!

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Why do you post something like that? The foreigners were already helping. I am pretty sure that there was both Thai and foreigners walking by without doing anything before that. I am also sure that it would have been Thai´s doing the helping if the good ones of them came before the foreigners.

Totally agree....    Although I do register the cynicism of an earlier posters who suggested the foreigners might be fined for 'touching' sea creatures, as it often seems there often exists an exaggerated response of outrage when a foreigner does 'something' as innocuous as picking up a piece of dead coral... 

I remember being warned by hotel staff after my Son took a small jar of sand and shells from the beach in Koh Samet for his school project - apparently, the previous week tourists doing the same think were fined a huge amount (50,000 baht)...  meanwhile we have all the local businesses dumping their litter in the island etc... 

It is of course great that people (Foreign or Thai) will help... but what is really done about these issues? - enforcement of the fishing industry etc ?...  Is anything done at all ?..  I think the easier more profitable targets are the innocents who 'touch the wrong' thing...  while such issues as polluting the seas and simply binning offcuts of net and rope and not enforced at all which leads to the issue we witness here.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Totally agree....    Although I do register the cynicism of an earlier posters who suggested the foreigners might be fined for 'touching' sea creatures, as it often seems there often exists an exaggerated response of outrage when a foreigner does 'something' as innocuous as picking up a piece of dead coral... 

I remember being warned by hotel staff after my Son took a small jar of sand and shells from the beach in Koh Samet for his school project - apparently, the previous week tourists doing the same think were fined a huge amount (50,000 baht)...  meanwhile we have all the local businesses dumping their litter in the island etc... 

It is of course great that people (Foreign or Thai) will help... but what is really done about these issues? - enforcement of the fishing industry etc ?...  Is anything done at all ?..  I think the easier more profitable targets are the innocents who 'touch the wrong' thing...  while such issues as polluting the seas and simply binning offcuts of net and rope and not enforced at all which leads to the issue we witness here.

Yeah, much of it is totally wrong of course. However, being fined for touching sea creatures, was probably in their own habitat which is a small difference than to save a stuck turtle. However, gently touching them wont hurt them so all is of course over the top as they want the money rolling in on easy targets. I just reacted on the quick post that just put a negative look on Thais again. Too many of us, seems to want to live in Thailand and at the same time have a negative stand against Thai people. That´s really a disgusting way of living in a foreign country.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1