Thai Military And Police Decorations

Norrad

Is it just me or doesn't it seem like Thai military and police personel have an extraordinary amount of medals? hel_l, even school teachers and security guards have a few. What do they all represent? As far as I know, Thailand hasn't seen any military action for quite awhile.

And what about the Paratrooper wings that they all wear? Even the boyscouts wear them?

My father served 5 tours of duty and even he didn't collect as many medals as most of teachers and bus drivers I've seen. And only the best of the best in western armies recieve their paratrooper wings.

I bet that during military exercises with other countries, some Thais may have noticed that the best soldiers from those armies wore these and they just followed suit.

Is it just me or doesn't it seem like Thai military and police personel have an extraordinary amount of medals? hel_l, even school teachers and security guards have a few. What do they all represent? As far as I know, Thailand hasn't seen any military action for quite awhile.

And what about the Paratrooper wings that they all wear? Even the boyscouts wear them?

My father served 5 tours of duty and even he didn't collect as many medals as most of teachers and bus drivers I've seen. And only the best of the best in western armies recieve their paratrooper wings.

I bet that during military exercises with other countries, some Thais may have noticed that the best soldiers from those armies wore these and they just followed suit.

These medals are rather funny, but you are wrong about military action concerning Thailand.

Thailand has countless military actions, mostly smaller border incursions and guerrilla warfare with drug cartels of ethnic minorities on a regular base, and presently in the three southern provinces almost every day Thai army and paramilitary organisations are involved in combat.

Most medals are earned by service in the border areas....more likely now the Burmese border but in recent times the Cambodian border in the Khmer Rouge days....there are some who received medals from serving in Iraq and Afghanastan. And as with most military medals they can be worn in other uniform jobs or with formal or professional attire.

Some you see are service medals for time served. National Service is compulsory in Thailand so many Thais have served time in the forces and have served time in the countries hot spots.

Some times they are not service medals but positional medals....people such as high ranking Politicians are entitled to wear some badges of rank due to their position.

Also read forum rule 3.....you are close to the wind

Edited by gburns57au

I'm aware of border disputes etc. And the southern unrest, but it still doesn't add up to amount of candy bars you see on their chests. My father served in the South African Defense Force in Angola and in countless border skirmishes along our borders, I grew up in a military background (I didn't even know there were careers outside of the military until I was in High School) and I had never as many decorations as I see here.

Friends of mine from America, UK and Australia have noticed the same thing. Western soldiers don't recieve nearly as many decorations as their Asian counterparts. It's not only a Thai thing, I've noticed the same thing in Malaysia and a few middle eastern countries.

ps. I read Forum Rule #3 and I don't see how I am "close to the wind" as I am not making extremely negative comments. I'm just curious.

Edited by Norrad

I'm aware of border disputes etc. And the southern unrest, but it still doesn't add up to amount of candy bars you see on their chests. My father served in the South African Defense Force in Angola and in countless border skirmishes along our borders, I grew up in a military background (I didn't even know there were careers outside of the military until I was in High School) and I had never as many decorations as I see here.

Friends of mine from America, UK and Australia have noticed the same thing. Western soldiers don't recieve nearly as many decorations as their Asian counterparts. It's not only a Thai thing, I've noticed the same thing in Malaysia and a few middle eastern countries.

I will put this as nice as I can....

Just because it doesnt measure up to western countries doesnt make them candy bars, The US has more bling on their uniforms than any country I have seen...they get one for each time they are injured in action and a stripe on the sleeve for each year of service....I have seen many vets from a lot of country's with up to three rows of ribbons...I only have one medal for my service but my step father had 4 for service in Korea....a friend had 3 for service in Vietnam.

The medals you see are mostly earned for service in the border regions.....the paratroopers get their wings after intensive training....the boyscouts may get one for an achievement badge, the same as they do in the US and here.

Most Thai men are extremely proud of the decorations they have got....it is not a good idea to start slagging them off and I think most people who have served time in the forces would know what I am on about.

Edited by gburns57au

Some of these ribbons, awards and medals may be recognition for obtaining a degree, special achievements, completed courses, long service, along with commemorative awards given to government staff to celebrate special occasions.

They aren’t necessarily medals obtained during combat or service in war zones.

Some of these ribbons, awards and medals may be recognition for obtaining a degree, special achievements, completed courses, long service, along with commemorative awards given to government staff to celebrate special occasions.

They aren’t necessarily medals obtained during combat or service in war zones.

I think I covered that before...they dont get medals for obtaining a degree or my sister in law would have one....

Many organisations such as the police, fire brigade etc...have long service medals.

Perhaps Norrad needs to sit down and ask these guys what each medal represents, I am sure that they are all legit for Thailand.

[

I think I covered that before...they dont get medals for obtaining a degree or my sister in law would have one....

Many organisations such as the police, fire brigade etc...have long service medals.

Perhaps Norrad needs to sit down and ask these guys what each medal represents, I am sure that they are all legit for Thailand.

Maybe your sister in law didn't obtain the right degree. I've participated in 2 wars, 1 peace keeping mission plus had long service and the wife currently has more ribbons on her uniform than me. One of hers is recognition of her degree. Her latest one last year was a commemorative medal.

Maybe your sister in law didn't obtain the right degree. I've participated in 2 wars, 1 peace keeping mission plus had long service and the wife currently has more ribbons on her uniform than me. One of hers is recognition of her degree. Her latest one last year was a commemorative medal.

Sorry I misunderstood you....Your wife is uniformed....I thought you meant a general uni degree...a military degree or a police degree, something of that nature....yes I would concede that.

I dont think I suggested that all medals were awarded for service in combat or war zones.

Edited by gburns57au

I tried that with a government officer, during a Royal visit, and she just clammed up and managed to explain 2 of them to me (one for long service and another for obtaining the highest grades during some or other examination). She told me she would get back to me about the rest and I am still waiting.

Oh and the "Candy Bar" term, that I used above, was a term we used during basic to describe our Sgt. Majors strip. It's just something that has stuck with me.

I tried that with a government officer, during a Royal visit, and she just clammed up and managed to explain 2 of them to me (one for long service and another for obtaining the highest grades during some or other examination). She told me she would get back to me about the rest and I am still waiting.

Oh and the "Candy Bar" term, that I used above, was a term we used during basic to describe our Sgt. Majors strip. It's just something that has stuck with me.

I meant a soldier or security guy rather than a goverment type...they gov types have positional medals

I meant a soldier or security guy rather than a goverment type...they gov types have positional medals

I will try speaking to the Cop down the road from me. He's always trying to set me up with his daughter, so it might be a good topic to get our converstaion off of "When are you 2 going to go out" :o

I once asked the Head of English at the university where I worked what all her medals were for. She had no idea, just wore what the front office told her.

I would really like to see a survey done on how manyy times these people with parachute wings have ever made a drop in the course of their duty. None, I suspect.

But appearance is always more important than reality. Big engraved Italian marble signs outside public buildings, including rural schools, instead of a painted wood notice board.

Just think of how much money could be saved!

Edited by raslin

TW just after she took on a Puya Baan position 4 months ago. She gets her Wings on the next promotion but can't realy explain to me what it's all about accept the ribbons etc come with the job.

post-18212-1185671137_thumb.jpg

Here is something constructive, can anyone tell us which medals mean what? Or for that matter can anyone show us pictures of Thai rank markings. Let's see if we can really learn about the meaning behind the ranks.

I found this site http://awards.netdialogue.com/Asia/Thailand/Thailand.htm that has a list and photos of Orders and medals.

Wikipedia shows Military ranks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_rank...ai_armed_forces

I'd be interested if anyone can find a site for public service ranks.

Here is something constructive, can anyone tell us which medals mean what? Or for that matter can anyone show us pictures of Thai rank markings. Let's see if we can really learn about the meaning behind the ranks.

I found this site http://awards.netdialogue.com/Asia/Thailand/Thailand.htm that has a list and photos of Orders and medals.

Wikipedia shows Military ranks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_rank...ai_armed_forces

I'd be interested if anyone can find a site for public service ranks.

Great, these are awsome! :o

I would suggest approaching people about this with extreme caution.

Medals and decorations are popular all over the world and are awarded for about as many reasons as one could imagine. They are also usually worn with pride, even if the wearer is not quite sure why they received them.

It is worth keeping in mind that even US States have medals they award for a huge variety of reasons and even the military awards medals for simply behaving yourself such as the Army Good Conduct Medal, awarded almost automatically after three years of continuous service.

As with anything else where a person's pride is involved, questioning any people about why they wear something must be done with respect, if only for humanitarian reasons, or not at all.

If you don't think that questioning someone, even very honestly, about their appearance can be dangerous, try asking a woman why she is wearing something that makes her look fat... :o

People are 'decorated' not only to establish their position (such as uniforms for Burger King employees) but to instill both a sense of pride and frequently to create a sense of respect in those around them, especially if they are in a position of power.

Gotta admit tho that it is a bit humorous to see a mall security guard dressed and decorated like a Captain of an aircraft carrier.. :D

The US has more bling on their uniforms than any country I have seen...they get one for each time they are injured in action and a stripe on the sleeve for each year of service....I have seen many vets from a lot of country's with up to three rows of ribbons...I only have one medal for my service but my step father had 4 for service in Korea....a friend had 3 for service in Vietnam.

I just want to ensure your info was accurate. a US service member receives a Purple Heart medal for being "wounded" while serving in action against enemy forces. The service stripe on the dress uniform is for "three years" of service.

I just want to ensure your info was accurate. a US service member receives a Purple Heart medal for being "wounded" while serving in action against enemy forces. The service stripe on the dress uniform is for "three years" of service.

On US military uniforms, most of what you see are "Theatre Ribbons" or what is also known as "Fruit Salad" (due to the numerous colours of the various ribbons).

From conversations I've had with American servicemen, they get a Theatre Ribbon for each Theatre of Operations they have been in, or even passed through. I knew a Marine that had been in the same length of time as I had been (2 1/2 years at the time) and he had two rows of ribbons already.

They also get Good Conduct medals fairly quickly, and if they pass their marksmanship test(s) with a high enough score, another medal to indicate such.

After 22 years of service, I have 5 medals on my "rack". One is called the Canadian Decoration, awarded after 12 years of meritorious service. I also have a Special Service Medal (with NATO bar), CF Peacekeeping Medal, United Nations Protection Force in Croatia (UNPROFOR) medal, and the General Service Medal for my time in Afghanistan.

Canada tends to be quite a bit more conservative than some countries when it comes to awarding medals. Some medals you may see on various Thai uniforms could represent things like celebrating the King's 60th cycle on the throne. In Canada, they awarded some medals celebrating the Queens Jubilee (though in my battalion of 600 men, only 18 medals were handed out). The same for when Canada celebrated it's 125th anniversary. A limited number of medals were given to the military for distribution, but every member of Parliament was given a dozen or so to hand out to various "outstanding" members of their communities.

So, a lot of what you see decorating Thai uniforms (and those of people from other countries) may not have anything to do with actual service, but may have been awarded just for being in the right place at the right time.

I recall Lord Louis Mountbatten of Burma relating a story of how he was in full dress uniform {as First Sea Lord} at Romsey railway station and was addressed by a 'small mature lady' as 'Porter'. Not sure :o I believed the tale, though he did regularly travel by train, but it did sum up the uniform point quite well I thought.

Regards

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller

I would suggest approaching people about this with extreme caution.

Medals and decorations are popular all over the world and are awarded for about as many reasons as one could imagine. They are also usually worn with pride, even if the wearer is not quite sure why they received them.

It is worth keeping in mind that even US States have medals they award for a huge variety of reasons and even the military awards medals for simply behaving yourself such as the Army Good Conduct Medal, awarded almost automatically after three years of continuous service.

As with anything else where a person's pride is involved, questioning any people about why they wear something must be done with respect, if only for humanitarian reasons, or not at all.

If you don't think that questioning someone, even very honestly, about their appearance can be dangerous, try asking a woman why she is wearing something that makes her look fat... :o

People are 'decorated' not only to establish their position (such as uniforms for Burger King employees) but to instill both a sense of pride and frequently to create a sense of respect in those around them, especially if they are in a position of power.

Gotta admit tho that it is a bit humorous to see a mall security guard dressed and decorated like a Captain of an aircraft carrier.. :D

Dustoff

Hey, gotta be careful of that mall security guard, he might have a bunch of good stuff from the the two Thai Army units that served in Vietnam, or the approx 30,000 Thai who served with the 333 SGU (Special Guerilla Units) in Laos, or perhaps going back even further, the Korean War.  Doubt if there's any Thai WW I vets from the ETO left around.

As to wearing various jump wings, the U.S. military is pretty flexible on the issue, if the wings were accompanied by an award certificate.  Many to most of these would be in the "honorary" category, I'd expect.

I even have several, but from civilian fun jumping, one attached.  Quit that long ago,tho.

Mac

post-32650-1185691074_thumb.jpg

Slightly off topic, but I have often wondered how Princes William and Harry can enter Sandhurst and both are wearing a medal from day one of service ???

Maybe from Mummy as a reward for keeping their rooms clean !

They both have the Queen's Golden Jubilee medal. I think all members of the royal household were given one. It's one of the four i managed after only thirty two years in uniform.

Do recipients get the actual medals for all those ribbons? I've always been curious about Thai honours and awards but have only had vague answers to my questions. I remember on an early visit here, looking at photo's of a teacher friend and his wife in their 'dress' whites. I got a rather puzzled look when I asked if they'd met while serving in the navy.

I dont think I suggested that all medals were awarded for service in combat or war zones.

No worries, it wasn't aimed at you. It was just a general comment.

Bloody heck...an Aussie.....not related to Jeff eh ??

:o:D

another aussi on board here- the medels and decorations you mention consist of numerous decorations given for long service - exams passed - kings commerative medels etc -- even govt and state enterprise staff who have never stepped outside their offices will have a least one bar or perhaps two of them. there are some RTA and police i have met who wear the Vietnam campaign medel (Green and white stripe) and also for service in other theatres - Iraq - East Timor etc - and for service on the boarders.

With regard to the para wings - the Thai ones - you can get these by attending a basic jump course and complete one tower jump hence the reason boy scouts even have them - there are also two types - Police wings andArmy para wings -- the army ones being for tower,balloon jump and aircraft - I am luck to have been presented with a set which i wear with pride after attending a course i did at special forces Lop Buri a few years back, and also have the Thai Police wings which a got from the Boarder Police training camp in Cha am --

also some service personal here wear overseas para wings and decoration -marksman etc -- from the Uk - Us and australia -and a number of other countries - even HRH THE PRINCE wears the SASR (Special Air Service Regiment) wings when in military uniform - He graduated from RMC Duntroon - notice the difference between these wings and the normal wings for para -- both worn on the upper right arm - hope that help with your question.

How about the Bus Conductors then? Quite a few of them are wearing wings as well?

It is common for people who have been granted medals to allow them to wear the ribbons etc...on other non military uniforms...

I could wear mine in my last job in the courts....I cant wear them in my current uniform job though..well not yet anyway.