Chinese 10-year Visa Transfer to New Passport

I just got a new US passport , as the older one, while still valid, has run out of pages. The old passport has my 10-year Chinese tourist visa. 

How do I get it transferred to the new passport? Do I need to go to Bangkok or can a consulate do this( Phuket, Songkla, or Chiang Mai)?

Also, is there a Chinese Consulate in Phuket? When I google it, it takes me to the Songkla Consulate. Thanks.

10 year Chinese visa cannot be transferred.  I have same 10 year visa in old passport, Thai visa in new one, I have to carry both passports when I go to China.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, n8sail said:

10 year Chinese visa cannot be transferred.  I have same 10 year visa in old passport, Thai visa in new one, I have to carry both passports when I go to China.

I agree.  I also have a Chinese 10-year visa in my old passport.  I checked about getting it transferred to my new passport at the Chinese visa office in Bangkok on Phetchaburi Road and they told me to take both the old and the new passport when I go to China.

I've been making monthly trips between China/BKK for the past year and my 10 year L visa is in my expired passport.  I present both and never have an issue.   First time was before Covid, and it still works a treat since they re-opened.

I'd add that I always get asked a few questions about my reason for visiting, where I'll stay and for how long.  Just routine and not a cause for concern.

US citizen, BTW. 

• Like 1

OK, it seems that the Chinese embassy advises carrying both old and new passports. But are they reluctant to let one apply for a new 10-year visa and cancel the older visa which is still valid? It is more convenient to have everything in one passport.

20 minutes ago, HerewardtheWake said:

OK, it seems that the Chinese embassy advises carrying both old and new passports. But are they reluctant to let one apply for a new 10-year visa and cancel the older visa which is still valid? It is more convenient to have everything in one passport.

If that convenience is important to you, it may be wise to pay a visa agent to explain your options.  I hired one in Houston to move my visa over and they told me they didn't recommend trying.  Back in the 2010's I hired one in Bangkok, but don't recall the details because it was through my employer.

Keep in mind there's always an ebb and flow in diplomatic relations between the USA and China.  You could end up getting your 10 year multi-entry cancelled and replaced with a single entry.  Years ago, I got several extensions in country at the local PSB.  They cancelled my multi-entry visa(s) and replaced them with a zero entry visa that allowed me to stay longer, but not leave and return without a new visa.

Visa agents can explain all that to you, and they usually know whether the visa/diplomatic situation is hot or cold...  They do it every day.  I just know what happened to me, in my unusual situation.

Edit:  I'd add that carrying that expired passport has not been too much of a PITA.

Edited by impulse