Bikers Have To Wear Toy Hats

Darlek

Police appear to be enforcing the wearing of toy hats for all bikers , doesnt matter if the chinstrap is left undone , so long as you have the plastic toy hat on your head you escape the fine !

What do you expect.

This is only a little game the authorities are playing.

In about 50 years (if you're lucky) there will be standards (and enforced) for motorcycle / cycle helmets until which time the plastic ones will protect you from the police but not from the consequences of an accident.

But who really gives a sh*t. Just another case of TIT

If you're going to bother buying a helmet, avoid the toy ones... I saw someone drop his while riding and it shattered to pieces... totaly useless, you would probably end up wit more cuts on your face from the helmet than if you did not wear one... I got a full-face helmet for about 1000 baht, snug, noiseless and good ventilation, although I have no idea about it's safety standards, i'm sure it's miles ahead of the toy ones. :D

Helmets I've seen so far:

Woman in her sixties, wearing a German helmet with swastika.

Construction hat.

And, ... A blue plastic bucket! (Maybe filled with water and ice cubes, upside down,keeps your head cool) :o hey, there's a handle on the bucket for a chin strap!

Yes they need a proper law in this

no question they do save lives.

I saw a mau mak mak stupid falang come a cropper on soi 8 Pattaya riding his overly powered rental penis extension.

He fell off and hit the raised curb ,ambulance came 20 mins later,not sure if he ever woke up.

If he did he prob woke up to an large bill.

Construction hat.

And, ... A blue plastic bucket! (Maybe filled with water and ice cubes, upside down,keeps your head cool) :o hey, there's a handle on the bucket for a chin strap!

Heheh... In Pattaya one does see some interesting helmets, though that bucket is a classic.

In Bangkok a few years back I saw a motorcyclist wearing a plastic toy Philadephia Eagles American football helmet, complete with face-guard. Hilarious- wish I could have gotten a photo of that one.

Construction hat.

And, ...  A blue plastic bucket! (Maybe filled with water and ice cubes, upside down,keeps your head cool) :o hey, there's a handle on the bucket for a chin strap!

Heheh... In Pattaya one does see some interesting helmets, though that bucket is a classic.

In Bangkok a few years back I saw a motorcyclist wearing a plastic toy Philadephia Eagles American football helmet, complete with face-guard. Hilarious- wish I could have gotten a photo of that one.

Hahaha, great posts from you both.........i once bought one of those Vietnamese Communist style green plastic army helmets in Laos, i used to wear that sometimes in Pattaya.................

The Plastic Bucket is a classic, LMFAO............................ :D:D

Nice to see that farangs are not singled out for the fines. I've mostly seen Thais getting stopped at the Beach Rd/3rd Rd and Central Rd/2nd Rd intersections. I always wear mine since I don't have a valid license for motorcycles (yet), and the bikes I ride are either my girlfriend's, or one that she rented in her name for my use. My plan if stopped is to claim I didn't think I needed a license since it isn't my bike, all the while smiling and reaching for the wallet.

I don't have a valid license for motorcycles (yet), and the bikes I ride are either my girlfriend's, or one that she rented in her name for my use. My plan if stopped is to claim I didn't think I needed a license since it isn't my bike, all the while smiling and reaching for the wallet.

From my experiences:

Pretend to look for "your licence". "Search" your pockets over and over. Reach under the m'cycle seat, flip through the user's manual and go over your pockets again. They get annoyed after a few minutes and u get the usual, "okayyy, okayyy..." laew pop gan mai (see u later) :o

Let me say first I think anyone riding a bike should wear a good helmet for their own sake. But it is rediculous that the police spend all that time enforcing it. For x's sake, it's only the user himself who's gonna get killed.

Go get some of those busses and trucks running red lights on sukhumvit during the day, endangering lives of hundrede innocent people daily. A helmet won't help you a lot if one of those monsters come thundering. I could make a long list of similar items I think should have higher priority.

Penzman, the fine for not having a license is the least of your problems. If ever you have an accident you will find that the insurance here doesn't cover if you don't have a valid license. And they will check. The insurance companies will do everything they can to avoid paying if they can.

Construction hat.

what other alternative head gear could you use to escape a fine ?

would the police fine you if you wore a cooking pot or a collander on your bonce ?

with a suitably improvised chin strap of course ! made of string say ..

or even a Davy Crocket Hat or a turban ? seihks must have dispensation for turbans surely ? So would a Davy crocket hat also warrent dispensation ? say if you were a hardcore Davy fan ...would the policeman still fine you ?

i cannot see any difference between a bucket or a cooking pot as they are both useless in a crash .

the strange thing is that you can leave the toy hat on your bike when its parked

and nobody will swipe it !

leave it perched on the wingmirror and its there when you come back .

in pattaya normally anything will get stolen if you leave it around , but here is something that is so valueless that nobody will swipe it , amazing.

next time i think i will try a fabulous Roman centurians helmet with a red brush on top and see what the police say .

or maybe they might think i was taking the p1ss ..

Construction hat.

And, ...  A blue plastic bucket! (Maybe filled with water and ice cubes, upside down,keeps your head cool) :o hey, there's a handle on the bucket for a chin strap!

would the police fine you if you wore a cooking pot or a collander on your bonce ?

or even a Davy Crocket Hat or a turban ? seihks must have dispensation for turbans surely ? So would a Davy crocket hat also warrent dispensation ? say if you were a hardcore Davy fan ...would the policeman still fine you ?

i cannot see any difference between a bucket or a cooking pot as they are both useless in a crash .

A turban, in lieu of a helmet, ( toy or otherwise ) is acceptable by police here for an Indian rider.

the strange thing is that you can leave the toy hat on your bike when its parked

in pattaya normally anything will get stolen if you leave it around , but here is something that is so valueless that nobody will swipe it , amazing.

next time i think i will try a fabulous Roman centurians helmet with a red brush on top and see what the police say .

Haha,

They would have a good laugh at least, i will look for you riding around in that.

Should start a silly helmets club, see how bizarre it got. It would be a scream, 15 farangs going on a cruise around town wearing buckets and Viking battle Helmets etc.........

True, I had a police style helmet, lef it on the bike all the time, never got stolen. Full face helmet did not last 1 day in Pattaya, thought I was clever to pinch the chinstraps under the seat, yeah right :o

My wife recently had her toy helmet stolen, then was stopped by the police on the same day, while on her way to fetch our daughter from school.

She was a trifle miffed.

But trying to get her to wear any sort of helmet properly (strapped) is impossible. And my daughter refuses, 'cos her plaits or pony-tail get messed up. No logic with women, whatever age, whatever nationality.

When my niece was stopped for not wearing a helmet she started by shaking and then burst into uncontrollable (feigned) sobbing. Few seconds of this and she was politely ushered on her way.

keda

When my niece was stopped for not wearing a helmet she started by shaking and then burst into uncontrollable (feigned) sobbing. Few seconds of this and she was politely ushered on her way.

keda

I reckon that would work for a Farang too.

Pretend to look for "your licence". "Search" your pockets over and over. Reach under the m'cycle seat, flip through the user's manual and go over your pockets again. They get annoyed after a few minutes and u get the usual, "okayyy, okayyy..." laew pop gan mai (see u later) 

Penzman if you can say that in Thai maybe your linguistic skills would be better employed at the local licence office. 55 Baht and half an hour or so and you are all legal..

Say bye bye to any insurance protection without one! as somebody pointed out.

If the Thai law says a bucket on the head is legal does that make it safe.

Mr and Mrs foreigner please do not leave your common sense at the arrivals lounge:-)

Mr and Mrs foreigner please do not leave your common sense at the arrivals lounge:-)

The insurance cover is related to having a licence.

Not necessarily carrying it with you!!

Never mind the law, always wear a proper crash helmet,

or wear the seatbelt in the car.

Common sense should have no nationality!

Let me say first I think anyone riding a bike should wear a good helmet for their own sake. But it is rediculous that the police spend all that time enforcing it. For x's sake, it's only the user himself who's gonna get killed. 

Wake up Madsere.

In many cases it is the mug in the other vehicle who gets to pay the bill

plus the grief of being accused of "Vehicular Manslaughter"

Never mind the wife and children who loose a wage earner.

Personally I think the insurance companies should reduce their payments to half for anyone not wearing a helmet,

or not wearing a seatbelt.

I always remind my family, and get the reply "Papa Duway" Dad as well!!

Bupa Blue Cross already refuses to cover victims of motorcycle accidents!!!!

Edited by astral

Construction hat.

Brilliant stuff. Well said.

I've only had the chance to see the strapless construction helmets so far. I have yet to see the bucket but my day will come. I always enjoy the dirty white poodle sitting in the basket. My dog back home would piss herself zooming amidst the traffic here perched in the granny basket.

I recently drove through a police check with 10 large heinekens attached to my hand grip (quite cumbersome). I hadn't had a drink yet, just preparing for the night ahead. After inspecting my Canadian license, he caught a green glare from my bag and proceeded to inspect the contents of my 7/11 bag. After a shake of his head, he waved me through.

My buddy once drove through a police road check with a road rocket in hand (open beer). The cops waved him through without a hastle. After making it through, my buddy had realized that he had the open beer (wasn't quite on the ball that eve I guess, I think he had the flu :D). He was shocked and relieved.

After inspecting my Canadian license........

My buddy once drove through a police road check with a road rocket in hand (open beer). The cops waved him through

All this fuss about wearing something on your head, even if it is NO USE at all.

Yet they miss

1. "Drunk in Charge" waving his beer can.

2. The Canadian licence - not valid here. Only Thai and International licences!!

What a load of W-NK-RS

After inspecting my Canadian license........

My buddy once drove through a police road check with a road rocket in hand (open beer).  The cops waved him through

All this fuss about wearing something on your head, even if it is NO USE at all.

Yet they miss

1. "Drunk in Charge" waving his beer can.

2. The Canadian licence - not valid here. Only Thai and International licences!!

What a load of W-NK-RS

My Cdn license has served me well in various situations in two provinces so far though I realize it is not legally recognized. My International License has expired and I have been relying on this ever since.

Open alcohol and impaired driving when observed by police should be acted upon immediately. There is no excuse to let someone continue on the road while intoxicated. But unfortunately, this is likely not the case as seen by my example. My friend was embarassed and awakened by this stupidity, and has shown in the process a probable factor contributing to the accidents and fatalities common on Thai roads. Sharpen those defensive driving skills.

Pretend to look for "your licence". "Search" your pockets over and over. Reach under the m'cycle seat, flip through the user's manual and go over your pockets again. They get annoyed after a few minutes and u get the usual, "okayyy, okayyy..." laew pop gan mai (see u later) 

Penzman if you can say that in Thai maybe your linguistic skills would be better employed at the local licence office. 55 Baht and half an hour or so and you are all legal..

Please point to the word "say".

My Cdn license has served me well in various situations in two provinces so far though I realize it is not legally recognized. My International License has expired and I have been relying on this ever since.

Do you realise that without a valid licence you are also un-insured?

VERY STUPID and possibly very expensive!!