Tory Rift Over Farage: A ‘Spoiled Child’ or a Potential Ally?

Social Media

image.png.b5bc16b643c22a758d71bac5f8c6e74c.png

The UK Conservative Party is embroiled in a debate over whether Nigel Farage, the leader of the Reform Party, should be allowed to join their ranks. Home Secretary James Cleverly has strongly opposed the idea, likening Farage to a "spoiled child" and dismissing him as a "showman" seeking attention. This stance comes in response to former Home Secretary Suella Braverman's call for the Tories to "embrace" Farage, a suggestion that has sparked significant controversy within the party.

Cleverly's rejection of Farage stems from a belief that the latter aims to undermine the Conservative Party. “Nigel’s made it clear he wants to destroy the Conservative Party and I don’t embrace people that want to destroy my party and hurt the British people,” Cleverly stated. He accused Farage of making provocative statements to garner attention, and emphasized that such behavior should not be rewarded.

The issue has come to the fore as the Conservatives face the possibility of losing power in the upcoming general election on July 4. Polls indicate a surge in support for the Reform Party since Farage returned as its leader, with some surveys placing the party within two points of the Conservatives. This potential split on the electoral right could significantly benefit the Labour Party, led by Sir Keir Starmer.

Farage's recent comments about Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's departure from D-Day commemorations have further fueled the debate. Farage suggested that Sunak “doesn’t understand our culture,” a remark interpreted by some as a veiled reference to the Prime Minister’s race. Farage, however, insisted his critique was aimed at Sunak’s perceived disconnection due to class and privilege. Cleverly dismissed these comments as “nonsense,” defending Sunak’s commitment to honoring veterans over the two-day commemorations.

Support for Farage within the Conservative Party is not uniform. While Braverman and former Prime Minister Liz Truss have expressed openness to Farage joining the Tories, other senior figures like Business Secretary Kemi Badenoch oppose his admission. Farage himself has rejected Braverman's invitation "at the moment," though speculation remains about his potential future alignment with the Conservatives, particularly if he is elected to represent Clacton-on-Sea.

This internal conflict highlights the broader challenges facing the Conservative Party as it navigates a shifting political landscape. The rise of the Reform Party and Farage’s continued influence pose significant strategic dilemmas for a party already grappling with declining support and the prospect of an electoral defeat. As Cleverly emphasized, the Conservatives are focused on serving the British people, but the question of how to address the Farage factor remains a contentious and unresolved issue within the party’s ranks.

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-06-12

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I would support that theory. I very much doubt that Farage is a Tory sympathiser, and I hope that is true. I'll be disappointed if he turns out to support them, unless it's on terms for his own benefit.

Cleverly is also positioning himself to take over the reins when Sunak is sunakered. His words are to encourage that part of the tories who detest Farage, which outnumber his fans by a long way. Farage was in the tory party before he decamped to UKIP in 1993. If he did return, or merge, it would be on his terms as his ego would permit nothing less.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Red Forever said:

How dare Farridge comment on the D Day commemorations.

After all, his side lost.

Come on now... its Farage - rhymes with sewage.

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The Tories only have themselves to blame.

If they hadn't drifted aimlessly so far to the left they wouldn't have left a gaping hole for Farage to step into.

Well I agree the Tories only have themselves to blame, but on the issues for which Farage/Reform are taking votes from the Tories this is almost entirely due to the Tories letting the tail wag the dog.

Immigration is the perfect example.

Farage/Reform focus on immigration, rather than deal with immigration the Tories follow Farage/Reform and grandstand ‘tough talk on immigration’, ‘tough policies on immigration’ - which fail.

The Tories have chosen to give publicity to Farage/Reform’s key focus issue.

Farage/Reform wagged the dog.

They don’t have to solve any problems, they simply have to speak tougher than the Tories and point to Tory failure.

The Tories can never ‘out rightwing’ Farage/Reform and in the meantime have abandoned ‘one nation conservatism.

July 4 is going to be a blood bath.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well I agree the Tories only have themselves to blame, but on the issues for which Farage/Reform are taking votes from the Tories this is almost entirely due to the Tories letting the tail wag the dog.

Immigration is the perfect example.

Farage/Reform focus on immigration, rather than deal with immigration the Tories follow Farage/Reform and grandstand ‘tough talk on immigration’, ‘tough policies on immigration’ - which fail.

The Tories have chosen to give publicity to Farage/Reform’s key focus issue.

Farage/Reform wagged the dog.

They don’t have to solve any problems, they simply have to speak tougher than the Tories and point to Tory failure.

The Tories can never ‘out rightwing’ Farage/Reform and in the meantime have abandoned ‘one nation conservatism.

July 4 is going to be a blood bath.

I agree on a lot of that. The Tories have sold out Conservative voters with their consistently weak action on immigration, and this may turn out to be an existential threat given the scale of the problem.

In my opinion, Farage will force the Tories back to the right (just like his Brexit party forced their hand on Brexit) but it will be insufficient.

As for July 4, I am not so sure it will be a bloodbath. I expect Labour to win, but I think many red wall voters that "lent" their vote to Boris in the last election might lend it to Farage this time around given that Labour and the Tories are, as Galloway put it, two cheeks of the same a**e and equally unappealing. 

I think it will be closer than many predict, especially as Labour still have a month to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as is their perchant. That's plenty of time for one of their more loony candidates to say something ground breakingly stupid and reveal the extreme left underbelly that while reduced, still lurks, and that Starmer has tried so hard to hide. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I agree on a lot of that. The Tories have sold out Conservative voters with their consistently weak action on immigration, and this may turn out to be an existential threat given the scale of the problem.

In my opinion, Farage will force the Tories back to the right (just like his Brexit party forced their hand on Brexit) but it will be insufficient.

As for July 4, I am not so sure it will be a bloodbath. I expect Labour to win, but I think many red wall voters that "lent" their vote to Boris in the last election might lend it to Farage this time around given that Labour and the Tories are, as Galloway put it, two cheeks of the same a**e and equally unappealing. 

I think it will be closer than many predict, especially as Labour still have a month to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as is their perchant. That's plenty of time for one of their more loony candidates to say something ground breakingly stupid and reveal the extreme left underbelly that while reduced, still lurks, and that Starmer has tried so hard to hide. 

Keep in mind many of those ‘red wall voters’ were promised warm sunlit uplands from Brexit.

Try putting "Nigel Farage led by donkeys" into Youtube.

It's only a 10 minute long video but gives you a pretty good idea of who he is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Come on now... its Farage - rhymes with sewage.

Childish.

Still, at least you're not throwing rocks at him during his campaign like some of the other violent, anti-democratic #bekind leftists.

Milkshake last week, cement this week. Maybe they will listen to lefty comedian Jo Brand and use acid next time?

Leftists - "They are exactly what they accuse you of being".

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Childish.

Still, at least you're not throwing rocks at him during his campaign like some of the other violent, anti-democratic #bekind leftists.

Milkshake last week, cement this week. Maybe they will listen to lefty comedian Jo Brand and use acid next time?

Leftists - "They are exactly what they accuse you of being".

Panorama planned to throw some challenging questions at him.

He ran away.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Good point. They might stay with the Tories given the strong economy so soon after leaving.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-12-26/uk-economy-forecast-to-narrow-gdp-gap-with-germany-by-2038

Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall, but I'd like to know the assumptions and margin of error associated with an economic prediction spanning 15 years.