Non B 7 day rule.....

Hello all,

I am currently working on a NON B. If I resign from my teaching job but have another job to go straight into......Can I avoid having to leave Thailand? I have a vague memory of a '7 day rule' Is this just a case you having 7 days to get out of dodge and thats it?? Is there such a thing as a seamless ride from one job to another like this?

Advice please...

On 6/17/2024 at 12:42 PM, problemfarang said:

Yes you dont need to leave the kingdom IF your new school prepares all the documents right on time. because you need to do all in the same day

Cheers....sounds like something that, in Thailand would be too good to be true.....like the planets would need to align in the right way for everyone to get their sh%t together in such a timely manner. I will give it a shot. Cheers!

I believe you have your wires crossed a bit @248900_1469958220 about how to go from one extension to another extension based on employment

It does NOT include getting that "application for extension not approved" 7 day stamp that gives you a week to get out of dodge. <- That stamp can't be switched to anything inside the country, you just leave on or before that date

What you'd do is get documentation from your current employer, saying you stop work on xxx date, you'd cancel the work permit and go to the immigration office about a week before the date on the termination paperwork. The office will cancel your current extension and stamp you in until the termination date. (Most offices allow you do go up to 2 weeks before your last day to cancel your extension)

That gives you time to get the NEW documents from the new employer and apply for a brand new extension of stay based on employment at the immigration office.

Now on the rare chance your office won't let you early cancel, you really have a gun to your head because you have to cancel your extension AND apply for the new extension with the new employer at the same time (hopefully they're at the same immigration office)  

It definitely can be done and is actually done quite a lot,

One person recently cancelled their employment extension in Chiang Mai and then went to Hat Yai and applied for a new extension based on employment there 😮

So even between different offices/provinces it can be done if BOTH the old and new employer will "play ball" and supply the correct documentation for you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

I believe you have your wires crossed a bit @248900_1469958220 about how to go from one extension to another extension based on employment

It does NOT include getting that "application for extension not approved" 7 day stamp that gives you a week to get out of dodge. <- That stamp can't be switched to anything inside the country, you just leave on or before that date

What you'd do is get documentation from your current employer, saying you stop work on xxx date, you'd cancel the work permit and go to the immigration office about a week before the date on the termination paperwork. The office will cancel your current extension and stamp you in until the termination date. (Most offices allow you do go up to 2 weeks before your last day to cancel your extension)

That gives you time to get the NEW documents from the new employer and apply for a brand new extension of stay based on employment at the immigration office.

Now on the rare chance your office won't let you early cancel, you really have a gun to your head because you have to cancel your extension AND apply for the new extension with the new employer at the same time (hopefully they're at the same immigration office)  

It definitely can be done and is actually done quite a lot,

One person recently cancelled their employment extension in Chiang Mai and then went to Hat Yai and applied for a new extension based on employment there 😮

So even between different offices/provinces it can be done if BOTH the old and new employer will "play ball" and supply the correct documentation for you.

Cheers! Thanks a lot!