Aus Mobile Phone Provider

On 6/17/2024 at 8:22 PM, ernji said:

Mentioned above but amaysim has unlimited talk plans starting from $22/28 days and includes 10GB data with that. The nice thing is when you leave Australia you can switch it to the 365 day plan which only requires a top up of $10 a year to keep the sim active. You can receive SMS messages in most countries (including Thailand) for free to that number allowing you to satisfy Oz banks or govt agencies. Up2you 

Amaysim would not register on any providers in thailand, after much to and fro conversations with them it was no use, just simply does not work!, many others are complaining on forums that it is a fail.

can someone confirm that you can receive texts with aldi mobile?

Mentioned above but amaysim has unlimited talk plans starting from $22/28 days and includes 10GB data with that. The nice thing is when you leave Australia you can switch it to the 365 day plan which only requires a top up of $10 a year to keep the sim active. You can receive SMS messages in most countries (including Thailand) for free to that number allowing you to satisfy Oz banks or govt agencies. Up2you 

Amaysim would not register on any providers in thailand, after much to and fro conversations with them it was no use, just simply does not work!, many others are complaining on forums that it is a fail.

Amaysim does not work in thailand!!!

15 minutes ago, Phantom57 said:

I have been using Amaysim now for 7 years in Thailand for $10 a year to keep my Aussie number. Works well.

15 minutes ago, Phantom57 said:

I have been using Amaysim now for 7 years in Thailand for $10 a year to keep my Aussie number. Works well.

I started this thread as we are visiting Sydney for a couple of weeks next month and wanted something to use whilst there.

I also have a friend there who I call periodically who only has a mobile and doesn’t use the internet Wi-Fi etc so cannot use Messenger etc.

I have been looking for something to use from here instead of phone cards could I use Amaysin?

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I started this thread as we are visiting Sydney for a couple of weeks next month and wanted something to use whilst there.

I also have a friend there who I call periodically who only has a mobile and doesn’t use the internet Wi-Fi etc so cannot use Messenger etc.

I have been looking for something to use from here instead of phone cards could I use Amaysin?

Theoretically, yes. If you can get International Roaming up and running. Then you get 100 minutes and 100 SMS to Australia for AU$20. If you don't use the SMS, then the calls will cost you AU$0.20 per minute.

Cheaper to use something like https://www.localphone.com/call/australia from your Smartphone to call them for AU$0.07.5 per minute to mobiles in Oz. You can try the service for free. To call from your Smartphone, use their application via 3G/4G/5G/WiFi

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, NowNow said:

Theoretically, yes. If you can get International Roaming up and running. Then you get 100 minutes and 100 SMS to Australia for AU$20. If you don't use the SMS, then the calls will cost you AU$0.20 per minute.

Cheaper to use something like https://www.localphone.com/call/australia from your Smartphone to call them for AU$0.07.5 per minute to mobiles in Oz. You can try the service for free. To call from your Smartphone, use their application via 3G/4G/5G/WiFi

Thanks much appreciated

18 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Thanks much appreciated

Have noticed a bit of a price difference when if you fund the account with GBP instead of US$:

image.png.14f2137bdfe03c4fa3ba304cbb21a2cc.png

image.png.0cec7176f9e396b1249b00ce03e3e25e.png

The US$ cost is double the UK cost. Some arbitrage there 😊 Fund your account using GBP.

20 hours ago, Phantom57 said:

Well you must be pretty special, why don't you actually give us some details on how you miraculously got it to work!

what phone are you using, 3g or 4g, which provider do you register on, etc.

• Sad 1

On 8/10/2024 at 1:01 AM, Polaky said:

Have you selected "International Roaming" inside your account?

Check you have the right APN (Access Point Name) configuration for Amaysim in your phone?

5 hours ago, Polaky said:

Well you must be pretty special, why don't you actually give us some details on how you miraculously got it to work!

what phone are you using, 3g or 4g, which provider do you register on, etc.

You REALLY need to work on your attitude....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

You can buy 300 mins of Skype to Phone credit for Australia for $8.42.  Good for all numbers in Australia.  About 3.3 cents per min. 

https://www.skype.com/en/international-calls/Australia

Try to be serious. The OP wanted a solution to "call periodically". A monthly subscription doesn't quite fit that criteria. If he doesn't use all the minutes, then the cost will be far more than AU$0.033 per minute. Skype Credit is considerably more expensive and also has a connection charge. 

• Sad 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:29 PM, isaanistical said:

I prefer Optus, partly because Telstra has had some horrendous crashes recently.

Optus’ national phone and internet outage in late 2023 and currency fluctuations have been blamed for falling profits at telecommunications group Singtel, which disclosed the fiasco cost it $61 million.

https://www.afr.com/companies/telecommunications/optus-outage-cost-61m-parent-singtel-reveals-20240223-p5f7ac

20 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Have you selected "International Roaming" inside your account?

Check you have the right APN (Access Point Name) configuration for Amaysim in your phone?

Yes ,Does not work

On 8/10/2024 at 8:01 AM, Polaky said:

I have Aldi and receive texts.

Phantom57 was just telling you Amaysin works for him.

You did come across quite curt TBH.

20 hours ago, NowNow said:

Try to be serious. The OP wanted a solution to "call periodically". A monthly subscription doesn't quite fit that criteria. If he doesn't use all the minutes, then the cost will be far more than AU$0.033 per minute. Skype Credit is considerably more expensive and also has a connection charge. 

Can you show me where I mentioned anything about a "subscription" in my post?  No, I didn't think so. 

Skype also has Pay As You Go. 

Pay As You Go "money" does not have an expiry date, so great for "calling periodically." 

Obviously, works on the Skype app as well, so can ring from anywhere. 

This was your suggestion: "Then you get 100 minutes and 100 SMS to Australia for AU$20."  Skype minutes is a much cheaper option.  Compared to your suggestion, 624 minutes for $20, compared to 100 minutes with your suggestion.  The large disparity in minutes makes the connection fee irrelevant. 

The below looks pretty good to me. 

See rates for the destinations you want to call

Australia
Where do you want to call
~312 mins for AU$10.00 of Skype Credit*
Calling - per minute
Calling - per minute1
Australia
3.2¢
Australia - Canberra
3.2¢
Australia - Mobile 2
14.0¢
Australia - Shared Cost - 1300 prefix 2
36.4¢
Australia - Special Service - 13 prefix 2
9.8¢
Australia - Sydney
3.2¢
Australia - Toll Free 3
AU$0.00
SMS
Cost per message
Australia
11.8¢
  1. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of 6.9¢ applies, unless otherwise indicated.
  2. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of 12.4¢ applies, unless otherwise indicated.
  3. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of AU$0.00 applies, unless otherwise indicated.

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Can you show me where I mentioned anything about a "subscription" in my post?  No, I didn't think so. 

Skype also has Pay As You Go. 

Pay As You Go "money" does not have an expiry date, so great for "calling periodically." 

Obviously, works on the Skype app as well, so can ring from anywhere. 

This was your suggestion: "Then you get 100 minutes and 100 SMS to Australia for AU$20."  Skype minutes is a much cheaper option.  Compared to your suggestion, 624 minutes for $20, compared to 100 minutes with your suggestion.  The large disparity in minutes makes the connection fee irrelevant. 

The below looks pretty good to me. 

Australia
~312 mins for AU$10.00 of Skype Credit*
Calling - per minute
Calling - per minute1
Australia
3.2¢
Australia - Canberra
3.2¢
Australia - Mobile 2
14.0¢
36.4¢
9.8¢
Australia - Sydney
3.2¢
Australia - Toll Free 3
AU$0.00
SMS
Cost per message
Australia
11.8¢
  1. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of 6.9¢ applies, unless otherwise indicated.
  2. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of 12.4¢ applies, unless otherwise indicated.
  3. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of AU$0.00 applies, unless otherwise indicated.

Yes, I can show you.

You wrote: 

You can buy 300 mins of Skype to Phone credit for Australia for $8.42.  Good for all numbers in Australia.  About 3.3 cents per min. 

https://www.skype.com/en/international-calls/Australia

That's a subscription package for which you have to pay monthly. 

PAYG is considerably more expensive; AU$0.26c for the first minute and AU$0.14c for each following minute. So nothing close to your claim of AU$0.033c per minute nor 624 minutes for AU$20.

In fact if the OP topped up US$20 using your suggested method and made a call to his friend. The maximum time he would get would be 141 minutes.

Next, your claim that it was my suggestion to obtain 100 minutes and 100 SMS for AU$20, is yet another error on your part. Are you being deliberately obtuse? It's was the OP was asked about Amaysim and I told him that was their offer, but that it was better to go with Localphone, that cost as little as AU$0.056c per minute PAYG. That was all in the same post, so impossible for you to have missed it. Yet another example of your strange behaviour here?

You really need to get on the ball with these things. This is the third time you have posted some strange 'solution' without thinking it through. It's misleading and someone has to come on to correct you, which then leads to you digging your heels in, even if you know you were wrong.

Edited by NowNow

33 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Yes, I can show you.

Where is the word "subscription?"

34 minutes ago, NowNow said:

That's a subscription package for which you have to pay monthly. 

PAYG is considerably more expensive; AU$0.26c for the first minute and AU$0.14c for each following minute. So nothing close to your claim of AU$0.033c per minute nor 624 minutes for AU$20.

In fact if the OP topped up US$20 using your suggested method and made a call to his friend. The maximum time he would get would be 141 minutes.

Next, your claim that it was my suggestion to obtain 100 minutes and 100 SMS for AU$20, is yet another error on your part. Are you being deliberately obtuse? It's was the OP was asked about Amaysim and I told him that was their offer, but that it was better to go with Localphone, that cost as little as AU$0.056c per minute PAYG. That was all in the same post, so impossible for you to have missed it. Yet another example of your strange behaviour here?

You really need to get on the ball with these things. This is the third time you have posted some strange 'solution' without thinking it through. It's misleading and someone has to come on to correct you, which then leads to you digging your heels in, even if you know you were wrong.

You are wrong. 

PAYG Skype is better than your suggestion. 

I've posted the Skype prices for PAYG, calling from Thailand.  Try and beat them.  You might be able to with another VOIP company, but not with Amaysim. 

2 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Where is the word "subscription?"

You are wrong. 

PAYG Skype is better than your suggestion. 

I've posted the Skype prices for PAYG, calling from Thailand.  Try and beat them.  You might be able to with another VOIP company, but not with Amaysim. 

Here we go again... You didn't write 'subscription', you recommended a subscription package. Same thing.

It wasn't me who suggested Amaysim, it was the OP. he asked about Amaysim and I told him their prices and suggested that it was better to go VOIP. I beat your prices even before you posted them, but you still posted your Skype subscription nonsense anyway.

I expect your next reply to carry on with your current infantility with regard to how you recommended a subscription package, but due to you not writing the word subscription alongside, you are somehow not guilty of recommending a subscription package. A totally idiotic stance.

On 8/12/2024 at 10:16 AM, Will27 said:

I have Aldi and receive texts.

Phantom57 was just telling you Amaysin works for him.

You did come across quite curt TBH.

Thanks for letting me know aldi works, I will get one of those next time, and if it doesn't work#$$#$%$

I simply don't believe Phamtom57 and required proof, you have a problem with that?

21 hours ago, NowNow said:

Here we go again... You didn't write 'subscription', you recommended a subscription package. Same thing.

It wasn't me who suggested Amaysim, it was the OP. he asked about Amaysim and I told him their prices and suggested that it was better to go VOIP. I beat your prices even before you posted them, but you still posted your Skype subscription nonsense anyway.

I expect your next reply to carry on with your current infantility with regard to how you recommended a subscription package, but due to you not writing the word subscription alongside, you are somehow not guilty of recommending a subscription package. A totally idiotic stance.

Leave the poor bloke alone!

30 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Thanks for letting me know aldi works, I will get one of those next time, and if it doesn't work#$$#$%$

I simply don't believe Phamtom57 and required proof, you have a problem with that?

Well, all you had to do was ask instead of being a smart arse.

You seem to be very combative.

I think you're the one with the problem TBH.

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, NowNow said:

Below are the Skype PAYG prices calling Australia from Thailand. 

Here's the link. 

You will see this at the top:  "Call phones and send SMS anywhere in the world at affordable prices with Skype Credit." 

You will see this under the heading:  "Choose pay-as-you-go calling option"

https://www.skype.com/en/credit/

It wasn't me who suggested Amaysim, it was the OP. he asked about Amaysim and I told him their prices and suggested that it was better to go VOIP.

The OP had issues getting his Amaysim onto the network.  I suggested some trouble shooting.  Did you? 

I beat your prices even before you posted them, but you still posted your Skype subscription nonsense anyway.

No, you didn't beat my prices. 

Yet again, you are misleading readers by not giving the full information, facts, and prices. 

The VOIP provider to put forward, "Local Phone" have their rates in USD and GBP.  As an example, Local Phone want $0.075USD a minute for a call to an Aussie mobile.  As per www.xe.com at the time of posting, $0.075USD = $0.12AUD. 

Thus, Local Phone want $0.12AUD a minute to call an Aussie Mobile, and Skype PAYG want $0.10AUD per minute to call an Aussie mobile.  Now, Skype charge a $0.089AUD connection fee for Aussie mobiles, so, approximately, any mobile call over a few minutes and Skype PAYG is cheaper than Local Phone, and any call less than a few minutes and Local Phone is cheaper. 

As for landlines, Local Phone want $0.015USD a minute, which is $0.03AUD a minute.  Skype PAYG charge $0.023AUD.  Once again, Skype PAYG charge a $0.049AUD connection fee for landlines, so, like mobile calls, if the call is longer than a few minutes, Skype PAYG is cheaper than Local Phone. 

I also note Local Phone charge $0.036USD ($0.06AUD) for Toll Free numbers, which are 1800 numbers, where they are free to call with Skype PAYG.  So Skype PAYG is the clear winner there. 

Can you tell me how much Local Phone to ring a 1300 or 13 number, given they are the main numbers I call in Australia because they are the numbers of the companies I continue to have dealings with in Australia.

It must be noted that www.xe.com rounded such small currency conversions.  That said, if someone tops up their Local Phone account, they are at the mercy of Visa or MasterCard's terrible exchange rates, thus, further losses.

So, would you agree Skype PAYG is cheaper for calls longer than a few minutes, and Local Phone is cheaper for calls shorter than a few minutes, but not by much, due to currency conversion losses?  If not, can you explain why not?

Australia
~434 mins for $10.00 of Skype Credit*
Calling - per minute
Calling - per minute1
Australia
2.3¢
Australia - Canberra
2.3¢
Australia - Mobile 2
10¢
26¢
7.0¢
Australia - Sydney
2.3¢
Australia - Toll Free 3
$0.00
SMS
Cost per message
Australia
8.8¢
  1. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of 4.9¢ applies, unless otherwise indicated.
  2. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of 8.9¢ applies, unless otherwise indicated.
  3. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of $0.00 applies, unless otherwise indicated.

39 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Below are the Skype PAYG prices calling Australia from Thailand. 

Here's the link. 

You will see this at the top:  "Call phones and send SMS anywhere in the world at affordable prices with Skype Credit." 

You will see this under the heading:  "Choose pay-as-you-go calling option"

https://www.skype.com/en/credit/

The OP had issues getting his Amaysim onto the network.  I suggested some trouble shooting.  Did you? 

No, you didn't beat my prices. 

Yet again, you are misleading readers by not giving the full information, facts, and prices. 

The VOIP provider to put forward, "Local Phone" have their rates in USD and GBP.  As an example, Local Phone want $0.075USD a minute for a call to an Aussie mobile.  As per www.xe.com at the time of posting, $0.075USD = $0.12AUD. 

Thus, Local Phone want $0.12AUD a minute to call an Aussie Mobile, and Skype PAYG want $0.10AUD per minute to call an Aussie mobile.  Now, Skype charge a $0.089AUD connection fee for Aussie mobiles, so, approximately, any mobile call over a few minutes and Skype PAYG is cheaper than Local Phone, and any call less than a few minutes and Local Phone is cheaper. 

As for landlines, Local Phone want $0.015USD a minute, which is $0.03AUD a minute.  Skype PAYG charge $0.023AUD.  Once again, Skype PAYG charge a $0.049AUD connection fee for landlines, so, like mobile calls, if the call is longer than a few minutes, Skype PAYG is cheaper than Local Phone. 

I also note Local Phone charge $0.036USD ($0.06AUD) for Toll Free numbers, which are 1800 numbers, where they are free to call with Skype PAYG.  So Skype PAYG is the clear winner there. 

Can you tell me how much Local Phone to ring a 1300 or 13 number, given they are the main numbers I call in Australia because they are the numbers of the companies I continue to have dealings with in Australia.

It must be noted that www.xe.com rounded such small currency conversions.  That said, if someone tops up their Local Phone account, they are at the mercy of Visa or MasterCard's terrible exchange rates, thus, further losses.

So, would you agree Skype PAYG is cheaper for calls longer than a few minutes, and Local Phone is cheaper for calls shorter than a few minutes, but not by much, due to currency conversion losses?  If not, can you explain why not?

Australia
~434 mins for $10.00 of Skype Credit*
Calling - per minute
Calling - per minute1
Australia
2.3¢
Australia - Canberra
2.3¢
Australia - Mobile 2
10¢
26¢
7.0¢
Australia - Sydney
2.3¢
Australia - Toll Free 3
$0.00
SMS
Cost per message
Australia
8.8¢
  1. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of 4.9¢ applies, unless otherwise indicated.
  2. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of 8.9¢ applies, unless otherwise indicated.
  3. When calling from Thailand, a connection fee of $0.00 applies, unless otherwise indicated.

I was going to ask if you were a bit thick...but I'm going to take it easy on you.

Look again, The OP has posted two separate questions within this thread. The first, obviously, is the first post.

Now look at Page 2, seventh post. The OP asks whether it's worth using Amaysim to call his friend's mobile phone which is in Australia. At which point I informed him of Amaysim's offer and advised that Localphone is better.

In my post after that, I showed how to get the PAYG price of Localphone down to AU$0.056c per minute. The fact that you chose to top up using the most expensive option of US$ when you could have chosen GBP for your comparison, shows the paucity of your argument. The cheapest PAYG option with Localphone is AU$0.056c per minute. Is the OP from the USA? If not, why are you choosing the most expensive option of topping up in US$? 

Even if we take the most expensive option, then the cost is AU$0.1137 per minute with no connection charges.

So far, we have the OP asking about Amaysim, me informing him of their offer and then me illustrating that Localphone PAYG can cost AU$0.056c per minute for calling mobile phones in Australia.

Since I already posted that and you passed over that information in order to quote the more expensive US$ top up figure, then it's obviously you who, yet again, are misleading readers by not giving the full information, facts, and prices. 

Are you taking this all in?

Now, let's get to your 'recommendation'. By your own illustration, the cost is shown as US$0.10c plus a Connection Charge of US$0.089c for the first minute. That is AU$0.189c for the first minute and AU$0.10c for each subsequent minute. That's AU$0.29c for the first minute and AU$0.15 for each subsequent minute. How does that compare with AU$0.056c per minute with no connection charge? 

I really want to refer back to my first sentence....but I won't. 😊

Please...stop. It's only going to get more embarrassing for you.

6 minutes ago, NowNow said:

I was going to ask if you were a bit thick...but I'm going to take it easy on you.

Look again, The OP has posted two separate questions within this thread. The first, obviously, is the first post.

Now look at Page 2, seventh post. The OP asks whether it's worth using Amaysim to call his friend's mobile phone which is in Australia. At which point I informed him of Amaysim's offer and advised that Localphone is better.

In my post after that, I showed how to get the PAYG price of Localphone down to AU$0.056c per minute. The fact that you chose to top up using the most expensive option of US$ when you could have chosen GBP for your comparison, shows the paucity of your argument. The cheapest PAYG option with Localphone is AU$0.056c per minute. Is the OP from the USA? If not, why are you choosing the most expensive option of topping up in US$? 

Even if we take the most expensive option, then the cost is AU$0.1137 per minute with no connection charges.

So far, we have the OP asking about Amaysim, me informing him of their offer and then me illustrating that Localphone PAYG can cost AU$0.056c per minute for calling mobile phones in Australia.

Since I already posted that and you passed over that information in order to quote the more expensive US$ top up figure, then it's obviously you who, yet again, are misleading readers by not giving the full information, facts, and prices. 

Are you taking this all in?

Now, let's get to your 'recommendation'. By your own illustration, the cost is shown as US$0.10c plus a Connection Charge of US$0.089c for the first minute. That is AU$0.189c for the first minute and AU$0.10c for each subsequent minute. That's AU$0.29c for the first minute and AU$0.15 for each subsequent minute. How does that compare with AU$0.056c per minute with no connection charge? 

I really want to refer back to my first sentence....but I won't. 😊

Please...stop. It's only going to get more embarrassing for you.

I see you are hiding behind the OP.  I am directing my post at YOU. 

It's YOU that is embarrassing yourself.

YOU put forward both GBP and USD prices for local phone.  Both currencies are subject to conversion rates from AUD.  Thus, at the mercy of Visa and MasterCard conversion rates, and possible fees for converting. 

Skype PAYG deal in AUD, so you know exactly what you get, paying AUD, with a Visa or MastyerCard that is in AUD, unless one used their Thai Visa or MasterCard. 

You are dribbling now, because you can't even guarantee what the Local Phone customer gets in "credit" because it's up to Visa and MasterCard what rate they wish to give.  If only Local Phone dealt in Aussie Dollars like Skype PAYG does.  :cheesy: