Border run and tourist visa Thai embassy in Laos

I am asking for a friend of mine that is coming to Thailand with a 60 days tourist e-visa. He is thinking to do a few border run later. It's possible to do the first border run going with a bus and get 30 days? After that he wants to do a second border run(always going with a bus)but this time he wants to go to a Thai embassy in Laos Vientiane to apply for another tourist visa. It's possible to do this procedure? Let me know, thanks

The last time he did a few border run was on 2019

Edited by Jack1988

41 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

It's possible to do this procedure? Let me know, thanks

It's possible. So if he obtains 30 day extension to tourist visa entry and also to his border bounce visa exempt entry that would be 60+30+30+30 =5 months when he applies for SETV at Vientiane.

Vientiane requires appointment. 

He might have some questions from immigration when entering after 5 months in Thailand.

Next time better he obtain an eVisa METV 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's possible. So if he obtains 30 day extension to tourist visa entry and also to his border bounce visa exempt entry that would be 60+30+30+30 =5 months when he applies for SETV at Vientiane.

Vientiane requires appointment. 

He might have some questions from immigration when entering after 5 months in Thailand.

Next time better he obtain an eVisa METV 

My friends wants to do this procedure: extend his tourist visa 30 days more at immigration, then do a border run get 30 days and extend it at immigration. Then repeat one more border run but this time he wants to go to a Thai embassy in Laos Vientiane to get another tourist visa 60 days and extend it at immigration 30 days more. Could he also do like that? 

He didn't understand what this requirement means, on the thai embassy Vientiane website: Travel itinerary to and from Thailand. Could you please explain better?

17 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

He didn't understand what this requirement means, on the thai embassy Vientiane website: Travel itinerary to and from Thailand.

He won't require tickets to and from Thailand.

Discussed in this attached  thread along with couple of links.

If he has a hotel booking for few days that would be good. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He won't require tickets to and from Thailand.

Discussed in this attached  thread along with couple of links.

If he has a hotel booking for few days that would be good. 

So can he just show his 3 months bank statement but from his wise account and not Thai bank account? Because he has all money to his wise account, he just transfer some money to his Thai bank account when he needs. 

- there is no need to show an onward flight as proof of exit Thailand within 60 days?

-can he just book an hotel on Agoda or booking for a few days as proof of address?

As Dr Jack stipulated,  he will need to make an appointment for the Thai consulate in Vientiane. 

This can be done online.  It pays to get in early (book an appointment) as they only have a certain number per day and can fill up quickly. 

It's a more organised system than what they had about 9 years ago.  Then it was a free for all rush once the gates opened. Madness! 

Posted (edited)

Just one more question: can my friend show his 3 months bank statement on his wise account or it must be from a Thai bank account?

And it's possible to apply for tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Vientiane on the second and final border run?

Edited by Jack1988

29 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Just one more question: can my friend show his 3 months bank statement on his wise account or it must be from a Thai bank account?

IF I was a betting man, I'd bet dollars to durian NO you can't use a WISE account because it's not a bank. I mean they can try it but I'd sure take either their foreign OR thai bank account statement for the last 3 months in case they nix that lemme use WISE idea 🙂

32 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

And it's possible to apply for tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Vientiane on the second and final border run?

They don't care if you burned your two free 30 day entries to thailand or not when you're up there applying for a tourist visa, just remember though IF you burn the two 30 day free entry stamps you get by land in a year, AND you get denied the visa at the thai consulate in Vientiane you aren't coming back to thailand by land 😕 You'll have to fly back

I always tell people to hold at least one of the free entries by land in reserve in case you come off the rails getting a visa OR get denied entry by air, that way you can still enter by land free stamp 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

IF I was a betting man, I'd bet dollars to durian NO you can't use a WISE account because it's not a bank. I mean they can try it but I'd sure take either their foreign OR thai bank account statement for the last 3 months in case they nix that lemme use WISE idea 🙂

They don't care if you burned your two free 30 day entries to thailand or not when you're up there applying for a tourist visa, just remember though IF you burn the two 30 day free entry stamps you get by land in a year, AND you get denied the visa at the thai consulate in Vientiane you aren't coming back to thailand by land 😕 You'll have to fly back

I always tell people to hold at least one of the free entries by land in reserve in case you come off the rails getting a visa OR get denied entry by air, that way you can still enter by land free stamp 

Ok great! Thanks for the suggestions! So i'll tell my friend to only use the first border run to get 30 free days and then use a second and final border run to apply for a tourist visa at the thai embassy in vientiane. He has less than 20k thb on his thai bank account because he only comes as a tourist and he prefers to keep all his money into his wise account, he just transfers some money into his thai bank account when he needs but he still has enough time to put some more money inside the thai bank account as proof of 3 months bank statement

1 minute ago, Jack1988 said:

So i'll tell my friend to only use the first border run to get 30 free days and then use a second and final border run to apply for a tourist visa at the thai embassy in vientiane

How about you tell you friend to make sure he gets the 30 day extensions on his free entry stamps at the immigration office for 1900baht.
AND
He wouldn't be using the second and final border run to go to Lao to get a visa, because he's not stamping back IN to thailand until he has the visa 😕 

To use that entry he'd have to ENTER thailand without a visa, he's just leaving that doesn't count for anything 

You can exit thailand by land as many times as you want, you can only ENTER free stamp 2 times in a year

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

How about you tell you friend to make sure he gets the 30 day extensions on his free entry stamps at the immigration office for 1900baht.
AND
He wouldn't be using the second and final border run to go to Lao to get a visa, because he's not stamping back IN to thailand until he has the visa 😕 

To use that entry he'd have to ENTER thailand without a visa, he's just leaving that doesn't count for anything 

You can exit thailand by land as many times as you want, you can only ENTER free stamp 2 times in a year

Sorry, there is something I didn't understand... Are you telling me that you can't do 2 border run if you come to Thailand with 60 days tourist visa?

14 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Sorry, there is something I didn't understand... Are you telling me that you can't do 2 border run if you come to Thailand with 60 days tourist visa?

I think you're over thinking it
You get TWO free entries by land in a calendar year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) 
I said don't use BOTH of the two land entries, in case when you go to get the tourist visa you're denied, because that way you could come back to thailand by land on the second and final free land entry stamp  

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

I think you're over thinking it
You get TWO free entries by land in a calendar year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) 
I said don't use BOTH of the two land entries, in case when you go to get the tourist visa you're denied, because that way you could come back to thailand by land on the second and final free land entry stamp  

Ok thanks for making it more clear! My friend knows he can go to immigration to extend 30 days more but he will also do 2 border run and in case his tourist visa application could be rejected by the thai embassy in vientiane he will just come back to thailand by land and get the second and final 30 days for free that he can extend at immigration again

1 minute ago, Jack1988 said:

but he will also do 2 border run and in case his tourist visa application could be rejected by the thai embassy in vientiane he will just come back to thailand by land and get the second and final 30 days for free that he can extend at immigration again

I still think you're confused on what a border run is

It only counts as a border run if you EXIT/RE-ENTER thailand WITHOUT a visa 🙂 

He's GOING to Lao (stamping out of thailand) but while he's there he's going to BUY a tourist visa and use that to come back. <- That ISN'T a border run, he's just exiting thailand by the land border to GO get a visa to come back

It's only if he is denied the tourist visa and has to come in on that second free stamp entry that it would be a "border run" 🙂 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tod Daniels said:

I still think you're confused on what a border run is

It only counts as a border run if you EXIT/RE-ENTER thailand WITHOUT a visa 🙂 

He's GOING to Lao (stamping out of thailand) but while he's there he's going to BUY a tourist visa and use that to come back. <- That ISN'T a border run, he's just exiting thailand by the land border to GO get a visa to come back

It's only if he is denied the tourist visa and has to come in on that second free stamp entry that it would be a "border run" 🙂 

ok i got it now, thanks

• Thumbs Up 1