Thai Language Schools And Student Visas

anonymousfarang

I did a short 3 week beginners Thai course at CMU, but they told me that I am eligible to get a Non-immigrant (Education) visa for the course (however the visa was either a 3 or 6 month visa, can't remember which). Anyway, i went to see Immigration next to the airport (opposite the petrol station), they gave me some form, and told me to go back to the university to get some special letter and special permission from the university which i then need to submit to immigration again.

However, after about 10 days the university came back to me, to inform me that because i was on a tourist visa, i would need to leave the country and apply for the non-im (ed) visa at a thai embassy outsite the country. They could have the letter ready and give it to the embasy, but i would still need to leave the country.

I decided it was too much trouble as i already have an APEC business travel card, so a quick visa run to mae sai gave me an extra 90 days, and solved my problem.

Hope this helps.

I'm 27 year old American, and have been in Thailand/Chiangmai for about two months or so. I'd like to stay long term, and saw on the homepage a university in BKK offers a thai language course and one year visa. Is there any such thing in Chiangmai that you recommend?

Payap also has a Thai course that will allow you to get a non-immigrant ED visa. I'm pretty sure AUA does the same. But unfortunately you will have to leave the country, but a trip to Vietienne is not too difficult. good luck.

Payap also has a Thai course that will allow you to get a non-immigrant ED visa. I'm pretty sure AUA does the same.

Thanks, I checked both of them out. AUA does not offer a student visa, but the rates are very good, about 70 baht per hour for the classes. Payap does offer the service, but at what a charge. 20,200 baht for a 6 week lesson plan, and you have to do that at least 4 times per year to keep the student visa active. Payap will set me back over 80,000 baht per year.

I'm looking into something there at CMU, but waiting for responses back from them. They have some sort of "explore thai culture" non immigration visa, and you have to take a certain number of classes for it to be valid? I haven't completely understood exactly what it is. They tailor classes and experiences just for you, which is nice, but since I am alone they said it will be very expensive. They are quoting prices for me now, I hope to find out soon.

I'm confused by the whole process, but I guess everyone is. Thats why this site is around :o

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still looking for one like school of Walen around here, in Chiang Mai. Anyone have any other ideas?