e-visa in Hong Kong: leaving HK before getting the e-visa

Hello everyone,

After planning going to Da Nan to wait for the new 60 days exemption visa, I changed my mind and will fly to Hong Kong where I can ask for an e-visa (Hong Kong is in China and China is one of the two asian countries where you can get an e-visa).

Did someone as some experience with Hong Kong Thai embassy for e-visa?

Specifically, once my request has been made with proof that I am sending it from Hong Kong, I am not sure I want to wait for the response from the embassy in Hong Kong. My understanding is that the application must be made from HK but does not require waiting for the e-visa in HK. However, I could be wrong, so if anyone has any arguments to prove me I'm indeed wrong, I would be very interested to hear them.

Thank you so much!

I'm a little (okay, a lot) confused by the OP where he mentions 60 day exemption and an e-visa.

It would be good to mention your nationality, especially when related to visa exemptions.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm a little (okay, a lot) confused by the OP where he mentions 60 day exemption and an e-visa.

He is referring to his previous plan to obtain the (mentioned in press) of NEW 60 day visa exempt. 

I will believe it when I see it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

He is referring to his previous plan to obtain the (mentioned in press) of NEW 60 day visa exempt. 

I will believe it when I see it. 

Oops.  I tuned in late and missed previous episodes.  My bad...

When I did my e-visa it asked me for my current address and permanent address if different. Is simply flying into Hong Kong staying at a hotel enough to allow the e-visa

(my understanding is that you can apply for e-visa in any country that does it as long as you can prove current residency in that country)

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

@anotherfarangishere
You sure you can use the eVisa system IN Hong Kong
image.png.6117220ed37c1a58190f47684aa4aaea.png

I already read this. Sure, it's confusing, but I got an e-visa in South-Korea where I don't have a legal residence address. Also, are the e-visa official website and Royal Thai Consulate General the same thing?

Thai announcements are sometimes contradictory, you never really know... + I've a thai address on my passport (yes French passport have an address on main page, mine is in Chiang Mai).

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 15.06.34.png

6 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Also, are the e-visa official website and Royal Thai Consulate General the same thing?

Yes, although the application is entered through the e-visa site the visa is approved by the local embassy/consulate.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I was under the impression that to obtain an eVisa for Thailand in Hong Kong you need to have residency status.

https://hongkong.thaiembassy.org/en/page/visa-info?menu=5d84804a15e39c03c800281e

I agree with you, but maybe the text wasn't updated? I tried to complete the form, as previous and as mentioned by someone here, they are asking for your legal address + eventually, current address. So I put my legal address in France and current address in HK and when I clicked "next", it didn't ring a bell. Anyway, I love HK very much - too bad accommodation is three times more expensive than in Thailand and five times smaller - so, even if I don't get the e-visa, I should enjoy my stay (I wasn't excited at all by Da Nang during my first visit).

In any case I will share the result of my attempt on this forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

When I did my e-visa it asked me for my current address and permanent address if different. Is simply flying into Hong Kong staying at a hotel enough to allow the e-visa

(my understanding is that you can apply for e-visa in any country that does it as long as you can prove current residency in that country)

When and where did you do it? In HK? I also made one without problem in Korea but rules change with embassy, it's never clear.

9 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

I wasn't excited at all by Da Nang during my first visit

Bit off topic ....if the visa exempt ever changes to 60 days, consider Saigon a nice way to obtain 60+30 stay in Thailand. 

25 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

When and where did you do it? In HK? I also made one without problem in Korea but rules change with embassy, it's never clear.

If you can get an e-visa I don't see an issue with you leaving HK as visa will come by email. The issue is are you eligible so why not try it and see.

I just logged in and said I had French passport in HK and it asked for current and permanent address just like it did when I applied in Australia in March. 

Edited by Pattaya57

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

If you can get an e-visa I don't see an issue with you leaving HK as visa will come by email. The issue is are you eligible so why not try it and see.

I just logged in and said I had French passport in HK and it asked for current and permanent address with proof document required to be uploaded (just like it did when I applied in Australia in March)

Thanks for your answer but wait, it's a little bit unclear:

1.) What is "a French passport in HK"? Your French passport was issued in HK? (mine has a Thai address but was issued in Kuala Lumpur).

2.) Did you stay many months in HK?

3) When did you apply?

Merci!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bit off topic ....if the visa exempt ever changes to 60 days, consider Saigon a nice way to obtain 60+30 stay in Thailand. 

Euh... what do you mean? Saigon is not a border with Thailand! To get exemption visa you need to cross a border. So, 30 or 60 days, you won't get it at Saigon!

Or you just love Saigon and you think it's a good place to go before to come back to Thailand?

29 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

what do you mean? Saigon is not a border with Thailand!

Read my post carefully. I stated visa EXEMPT. Not suggesting tourist visa at Saigon.

Mind you tourist visa available at Thai consulate Saigon. 

Requires appointment 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

To get exemption visa you need to cross a border. So, 30 or 60 days, you won't get it at Saigon!

There is definitely a border between HCMC and Bangkok - you'll get your exemption when you get back.  I think it was just a suggestion of a good place to hang out for a while doing a border hop.  And it most certainly is, although I actually do like Da Nang so ymmv.

15 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

I already read this. Sure, it's confusing, but I got an e-visa in South-Korea where I don't have a legal residence address. Also, are the e-visa official website and Royal Thai Consulate General the same thing?

Thai announcements are sometimes contradictory, you never really know... + I've a thai address on my passport (yes French passport have an address on main page, mine is in Chiang Mai).

You are correct, and I agree 100% it is confusing as can be 

I was able to select French, want to apply in Hong Kong and the eVisa system will let me thru to fill out an application
BUT
That doesn't mean that the thai consulate there <- where the visa application goes to be approved will let it go thru.

Before when you had to walk up to the consulate you just showed that little "paper stamp" they gave you when you entered the country as the proof you're legally allowed to use that consulate, I would imagine you upload that and your entry stamp to show you're in the country.

Try it, it'll either work or it won't

image.png.09d6b2eaf275c5bba8edae8557ecfcfa.png

18 hours ago, Upnotover said:

It is likely they will ask for evidence of your travel plans from Hong Kong to Bangkok which might be problematic, although not insurmountable.

it is an odd one, they ask for proof of residence (utility bill) but not flights (so nothing to prevent you from applying while not in HK)

On 6/22/2024 at 7:59 AM, Tod Daniels said:

Before when you had to walk up to the consulate you just showed that little "paper stamp" they gave you when you entered the country as the proof you're legally allowed to use that consulate, I would imagine you upload that and your entry stamp to show you're in the country.

It's what I've done in Korea: the form asked for a proof, I scanned the stamp they put on my passport on arrival in Korea.

So, I can prove I'm in Hong Kong - yes, I'm! - but the problem is that I'm not a resident. I've booked until July 2 in a guesthouse but the last comments I read on Google are bad: some people have their visa refused because they weren't residents. And as announced, even they refuse the visa, they keep the money. And while 1000 bahts is not a big deal, by principle, it's still hard to swallow.

I'll decide tomorrow if I try or not the e-visa. On July 2, I'll be back to Thailand, with or without visa. Maybe I'l go to Chiang Mai where immigration is more "relax" but the cost for direct flights is at least 2 times more expensive: HK - Chiang Mai is more expensive thant HK - Bangkok + flight Chiang Mai - Bangok to pay (or you can save around 1000 bahts by sleeper train).