How To Do It In Thailand

gburns57au

On the back of a recent thread and some points raised, I thought it may be a good topic on its own....

examples of Thai etiquette....what to do and not to do.

to begin...

Dont touch the top of the head...it interupts the good going in

dont use the fingers up method of indicating that you want them to come over to you...fingers down

the foot one has been mentioned...dont point at someone with your foot...point your foot away from people.

Do not walk half naked , or shirtless on the streets !

Do not get very angry and talk rubbish , it is for thais very annoying and rude !

Be humble when a group of people sit together , do not walk through them !

There must be many different things Thai do think is normal but can't think about more for now.

Most Thais know that we dont intentionally try to offend them whether it be playing bongo drums on their head, accidently standing on a coin etc.....

I get the impression from the Thais ive met, that they think it strange when farangs go over the top in trying not to offend them, patronising you could say.

Most Thais know that we dont intentionally try to offend them whether it be playing bongo drums on their head, accidently standing on a coin etc.....

I get the impression from the Thais ive met, that they think it strange when farangs go over the top in trying not to offend them, patronising you could say.

Good point....many do go over the top trying not to offend..

Thais understand that we dont know all the nuances and generally are forgiving unless it occurs over and over again.

The Thai wai is the most overused of all of them...

I have found Thai people to be very forgiving when it comes to ettiquite. The only time I was told off by my partner was in Issan. Pappa sat down on a chair and I lay down on my back to have a rest. My feet were pointing at pappa. BF hissed a warning to me and asked me to quickly move my legs, so my feet were not pointing at pappa.

I am not sure if the patting of the head is still relevant these days.

The only time I have seen anguish on the face of a Thai person was when a few farang ladies decided to go nud_e swimming. The Thai lady running a beach store ended up asking my Thai BF for advice. What to do? Either tell the ladies it was offensive (and probably illegal) to swim nud_e in Thailand - and risk them not spending money at the isolated shop - or be embarrassed by their brazen nudity.

Peter

My view is that when interacting with any culture that is not your own the secret is to first understand and obey the rules of good manners in your own culture. Add to this confidence in your own culture and your good manners and comfort with your own good manners will shine through.

Then and only then is it possible to adapt to the foriegn culture's ettiquette without falling into the trap of being 'told' what is and is not acceptable.

I've observed many foreigners earning the upmost respect from Thais by simply following their own good manners and good ettiquette.

Remember, Thais delight in the gentle manners of our society just as much as we do in those of theirs.

My view is that when interacting with any culture that is not your own the secret is to first understand and obey the rules of good manners in your own culture.

I've observed many foreigners earning the upmost respect from Thais by simply following their own good manners and good ettiquette.

Remember, Thais delight in the gentle manners of our society just as much as we do in those of theirs.

The above is very true and I commend GH for his post.

I do have one annoying instance that almost always seems to occur to me when practicing my own manners. That is the old "Hold the door open for others" routine. I have found myself trapped at the door like a doorman whilst 20 or more people walk through, not being able to let it swing closed for fear of it hitting someone.

For me one of the most basic manners is to hold the door open, but how can we continue that in a society that does not deem it as being polite or even necessary?

I have since graduated to being a little less polite and only hold the door open for pregnant women and people with hands full of shopping mind you.

So much for etiquette towards the Thai people. How about vice versa.

Is part of good etiquette for the Thai people not stopping your car at pedestrian crossing to allow pedestrians safe passage across the road?

...or perhaps not stopping your car after a collision to offer medical assistance and/or exchange particulars and await the arrival of the police?

...or perhaps talking aloud during the movie, or making sure your mobile is turned on whilst the movie is playing?

...or queue jumping at supermarkets, banks and post offices?

...or lying to me by referring to me as "Hansum man."

...or making sure they smile as they try to lift my wallet out of my back pocket.

...or peeing in the hotel swimming pool.

...or smoking in a crowded lift.

...OK...that's enough for now. :o

That is the old "Hold the door open for others" routine. I have found myself trapped at the door like a doorman whilst 20 or more people walk through, not being able to let it swing closed for fear of it hitting someone.

:o

That one got me for years!

Agree with GH. Practice your manners learn't at school / home first & you can't go too wrong. Learn the local customs along the way by observing & asking questions.

Soundman.

On the back of a recent thread and some points raised, I thought it may be a good topic on its own....

examples of Thai etiquette....what to do and not to do.

to begin...

Dont touch the top of the head...it interupts the good going in

dont use the fingers up method of indicating that you want them to come over to you...fingers down

the foot one has been mentioned...dont point at someone with your foot...point your foot away from people.

Don't have anything to add to the other posts ..... just an excuse to chalk up my 200th Post !!!

Showing due consideration for manners anywhere should surely be an automatic response for those of us who were taught manners at home / school etc.

I think we all make mistakes with etiquette but I, personally, find the Thais are forgiving and often even laugh about it when mistakes are made.

The patting on or touching of the head never seems to be a problem.

Though the actions of the feet do seem to cause most offence from what I have seen.

"dont use the fingers up method of indicating that you want them to come over to you...fingers down"

Didn't know that one - thanks! Anyone know why???

I've seen Thais do this before and to me it seems to say "go away" or "stop" rather than "come"....

I think that's the practice throughout Asia. Some places have different gestures for use with "inferiors" & animals, so you don't want to use those by mistake.

I have read that it is impolite to cross your legs when seated -- does anyone know if that is true ?

"dont use the fingers up method of indicating that you want them to come over to you...fingers down"

Didn't know that one - thanks! Anyone know why???

I've seen Thais do this before and to me it seems to say "go away" or "stop" rather than "come"....

I think that's the practice throughout Asia. Some places have different gestures for use with "inferiors" & animals, so you don't want to use those by mistake.

I have read that it is impolite to cross your legs when seated -- does anyone know if that is true ?

You call a dog over using the fingers up method with and a whistle, seems to be standard throughout asia from what I have seen.

Regarding the legs crossed, I presume it is because there is a certain way of crossing the legs that puts the foot on full display, the man method. The woman method (nut cruncher for us blokes) tends to keep the foot pointed to the floor, I have seen this method used plenty of time by male and female alike. So I don't think crossing the legs in general is rude.

But make of it what you will.

My view is that when interacting with any culture that is not your own the secret is to first understand and obey the rules of good manners in your own culture. Add to this confidence in your own culture and your good manners and comfort with your own good manners will shine through.

Then and only then is it possible to adapt to the foriegn culture's ettiquette without falling into the trap of being 'told' what is and is not acceptable.

I would like to second what Guesthouse has said. Some times we think too much about upsetting Thai's by not following their rules of politness. If you observe your own cultural norm's i think you can safely go to another country and no nothing of their cultural ettiquette/rules. After all at home in the UK i don't go around touching peoples heads, sticking my feet in their face, barging through groups of people talking and i don't not say Please and Thankyou. It's common sense really.

Basic good manners are international, with only slight local additions and variations.

I've never attempted a wai in my life and I don't intend to begin.

However, the Thais still describe me as "suphap" (polite).

One rule of etiquette that is less well known, is that it is impolite to stretch out (arms or other body parts). I had a hard time to get rid of my habit to stretch fairly often. Another observation: I saw many westerners overdoing it trying to be polite the Thai way, for instance by wai-ing the waitresses whilst going into a restaurant. A Thai might in some cases wai the owner of a restaurant , but never the waitresses .