Noam Chomsky’s wife says reports of famed linguist’s death are false. True?

GammaGlobulin

34 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

There is a conspiracy about Noam Chomsky that he is a CIA agent who has been tasked to brainwash people.

Even though he has warned people about media manipulation, he arguably has spent his life manipulating people with bs theories.

So the short answer is NO I don't like him.

I never thought you were one who might like his thinking and his writings.

No worries.

18 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I never thought you were one who might like his thinking and his writings.

No worries.

I like Boston.

All I want is to have my Peace of Mind.

I dont need endless political chatter, which ruins my Peace of Mind.

And that's what the game is all about. Peace of Mind.

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

I like Boston.

All I want is to have my Peace of Mind.

I dont need endless political chatter, which ruins my Peace of Mind.

And that's what the game is all about. Peace of Mind.

Boston was one of the most OVERRATED bands of all time.....

Just my feeling.....though....

Such a blasé band....

Makes me want to return to my coffin.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

Boston was a decent band with 4 hits. But their songs are still a good listen.

Chomsky is over-rated and needs to shut up.

After a stroke...

Then, how much can he say?

I will miss this guy, greatly.

I wish he were still in his younger years, with the same vigor as when he was at MIT.

I wish him well.

Nobody can say that he did not work very hard.....

Struggling to learn Thai has made me more sceptical of Chomsky’s claim that all human languages, however different, share the same underlying grammatical structure. There’s a very entertaining book, “Don’t Sleep, there are Snakes” by Daniel Everett, about his life with a tribe of Amazonian Indians, in which he claims their language lacks recursion, which he thinks is a counter example to Chomsky’s theory of universal grammar.

I find it curious that certain sections of the far right seem to be gravitating towards Chomsky’s bat **** crazy extreme leftist view of the United States as being the source of most of the world’s evil.

14 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Struggling to learn Thai has made me more sceptical of Chomsky’s claim that all human languages, however different, share the same underlying grammatical structure. There’s a very entertaining book, “Don’t Sleep, there are Snakes” by Daniel Everett, about his life with a tribe of Amazonian Indians, in which he claims their language lacks recursion, which he thinks is a counter example to Chomsky’s theory of universal grammar.

I find it curious that certain sections of the far right seem to be gravitating towards Chomsky’s bat **** crazy extreme leftist view of the United States as being the source of most of the world’s evil.

When he talks of an underlying grammar, he does not mean the grammatical constructions particular to any given language such as Thai, or Japanese, English or Russian, of course.  He is talking about a different underlying grammar that is not learned but common to all human language....

On 6/23/2024 at 1:20 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Just today, I saw a very black guy riding on a motosai, going by me.

He was as black as the ace of spades!

I thought to myself.....

Well, you don't see something like this, everyday, around here.....

And.....So True!

I had a friend like that in San Antonio, TX .  He was from Belize. I wish I could remember his name so I could look for him.    He worked hard there, bought a 1970 Toronado there, then immigrated, legally, to the United States.  He had the darkest skin of anyone I have known.  Even darker than my neighbor a few houses down who is from Nigeria.  

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When he talks of an underlying grammar, he does not mean the grammatical constructions particular to any given language such as Thai, or Japanese, English or Russian, of course.  He is talking about a different underlying grammar that is not learned but common to all human language....

Yes, I realise that, hence my point about the need for something as fundamentally different as the alleged lack of recursion in an Amazonian language to refute Chomsky’s idea of universal grammar, rather than relatively minor differences such as French’s notorious tenses and irregular verbs compared with Thai’s simpler verbs.

2 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Yes, I realise that, hence my point about the need for something as fundamentally different as the alleged lack of recursion in an Amazonian language to refute Chomsky’s idea of universal grammar, rather than relatively minor differences such as French’s notorious tenses and irregular verbs compared with Thai’s simpler verbs.

Yes, but, as far as I know, this does not involve just verbs.

Chomsky is not speaking of something as superficial at verb tenses, or grammar in the way grammar is commonly perceived.

It's deeper than that, as I guess you know.

image.png.683bd2e61c0d976aa37fbd3faeed57f0.png

https://www.structural-learning.com/post/chomskys-theory#:~:text=Chomsky's Universal Grammar theory suggests,innate grammatical structures and rules.

It's about an evolved internal language learning ability, and not necessarily about spoken language.

But, as I stated just now, I am sure that you already know this, from your comment.

I am not debating this issue here, and only commenting about one aspect.

image.png.716d5e5f2e69bf699d33518114f83fdd.png

I am not saying that language evolved first through an "internal" conversation before spoken language became possible, as I think Chomsky proposes. Still, it remains an interesting question concerning how human language ability evolved.

Not debating various theories here.  And, I am not sure that I would agree with Chomsky's beliefs in this.

Anyway, there is probably no way to prove one theory to be more valid than another....

Interesting to think about, though.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

Concerning the false rumor of Chomsky's death....

When I first say this rumor on the internet....

It was a real shock to me.

Chomsky has always seemed to be some sort of moral compass for so many, and for me.

Whether to the right or left of him, still Nim Chimpsky has meant a great deal to millions around the world.

I really hope that Noam lives another ten years, or more, to the age of 105.

Probably many of you don't like him much.

Probably many of you love him, too.

I can only say that I hope he lives another decade.

My sincere wishes to Chomsky for many more years.

I want to hear from him, again, soon.....

I enjoy, very much, listening to what he has to say.

He's a Philly lad, after all....