Using 'lake' water. Need high capacity pre filter to take out clay particles staining water

chaiyapoon

Up in the mountains of Phetchabun with only lake water for showering and laundry.

Recent storms have washed a lot of the fine clay particles from the hillside above us into our reservoir. We do have a filter system that usually 

works well but cant cope now.   My thoughts are we need a pre ilter to clean up the water before it goes into the two stage tank system.

Most prefilters seem only to be small 25mm entry would these be big enough to cope?

My lady runs a small resort on the property so clean water is essential  for her guests. Any advice appreciated.

Crushed plate glass is one filter medium I use for our water supply filter and pool filter. (I forget the manufacturers name.)

Before I used large sand and carbon filters, but over time the sand filter becomes less effective as the water tends to 'channel' in the sand.

We have a 60m bore and backwash the glass and carbon filters weekly (give or take a month :))

Lots of sediment backwashed from the glass filter but none from the carbon filter, so I would say the glass filter is doing a great job.

So maybe investigate 'plate glass as a filter medium'.

When I think of its commercial name I will post. 🙂