How Long I Can Use My Local License?

Good evening Sirs!

I have the following question:

I'm using my old license that I got in other country. Now I have the car and there is question how long I can use my local license without IDP. To avoid some questions - I'm going to get IDP or thai DL soonest time, but I need to drive my car right now. Is that big problem? Can I solve it with tea money if policeman stop me?

It depends on a number of factors:

1) In which country was your driving licence issued?

2) What is the expiry date?

3) Which type of visa do you have?

4) Have you a "permanent" residence in Thailand?

The best way to proceed is to obtain a Thai driving licence. However, if you don't have the necessary visa/extension then an IDP is the legal way to go.

It depends on a number of factors:

1) In which country was your driving licence issued?

2) What is the expiry date?

3) Which type of visa do you have?

4) Have you a "permanent" residence in Thailand?

The best way to proceed is to obtain a Thai driving licence. However, if you don't have the necessary visa/extension then an IDP is the legal way to go.

1) My old DP was issued in Ukraine in 1992 (the problem that it's on Russian).

2) There no expiry date (it's old so it was fullfilled with handwriting).

3) I have work permit and Non B visa.

4) Yes, I do.

I'm recognise that it's illegal, but...

Now I'm afraide even to go to gas station. That it's why I'd like to check possible scenario before to get into the troubles (and of course before to get Thai DP).

Will it helpful if I got translation from Ukrainian Embassy?

Edited by Mamboking

1) My old DP was issued in Ukraine in 1992 (the problem that it's on Russian).

2) There no expiry date (it's old so it was fullfilled with handwriting).

3) I have work permit and Non B visa.

4) Yes, I do.

I'm recognise that it's illegal, but...

Now I'm afraide even to go to gas station. That it's why I'd like to check possible scenario before to get into the troubles (and of course before to get Thai DP).

Will it helpful if I got translation from Ukrainian Embassy?

I cannot imagine that a Ukraine licence hand written in Russian will be of any use whatsoever. A translation will not be adequate unless it's an actual IDP. I don't think there is any legal way around your problem whilst you are in Thailand other than taking a Thai driving test.

Without an IDP your Ukraine licence is not valid, period!

Whilst a little tea-money will invariably get you off with the BiB you must consider your insurance position, particularly now you own the vehicle. Like everywhere else in the world Thai insurance companies will use any means availble to avoid paying which could leave you holding a large bill.

Getting a Thai licence is not difficult although, as you don't have an IDP, you will need to take the actual driving test so put aside a whole day. Apparently the test itself is a piece of cake so I wouldn't worry.

Don't wait get a Thai drivers license now its not that hard. If you are involved in any type of incident you could be in for some problems and it might be costly.

Thanks a lot!

Could you tell me please where exactly I must go, if I'm staying at Petburi rd. area? As I know there is few centers that separated by areas...

Edited by Mamboking

Basicly it's illegal, but you can drive, Police not give you big troubles, but you aren't not covered by insurances, this is the big problem. For a Thai License you ho to Mo Chit Ministery of Transportation, not far from Mo Chit Busstation, same road, a little bit more southwest. Don't forget, Medical Test (Can get in any clinic, Copies of Visa and Passort, Certificate ov living (Immikgration) 2 Photos, etc. I think that's all, and do a Test

I have been driving in Thailand for nearly ten years on a valid local licence (yes, it's in English). I have been stopped by the police many times, had three minor accidents (none of which were judged by the police to be my fault - no the farang is NOT always at fault), and not once have I ever had a problem. Never even been asked by the police to pay something because I didn't have a Thai licence or IDL. Maybe I am lucky, but with that experience I can't be bothered to take half a day to go get a Thai one.

As for insurance, my company's policy specifically states that a "valid licence" is required. To clarify, I have it in writing from them that a foreign licence is acceptable for any claim, so long as it is valid for the class of vehicle being driven at the time of an accident, and that it has not expired.

Maybe I'm lucky, but that's my experience.

A few months back a friend came down from CM and on the way got stopped at a road check. No Thai DL and no IDL just his US permit that was 1000Baht ticket. Then a verbal warning from the officer drive careful your insurence is worthless without a Thai DL.

A few months back a friend came down from CM and on the way got stopped at a road check. No Thai DL and no IDL just his US permit that was 1000Baht ticket. Then a verbal warning from the officer drive careful your insurence is worthless without a Thai DL.

That might be what the officer thought. But if you have an insurance policy that states that it is valid so long as you have a valid driver's licence, and you have a written statement from your insurance company clarifying that your home licence is acceptable, then I would say you are covered whether or not you have a Thai licence.