Shocking hike: Thai industries spark concern over electricity rates

On 7/19/2024 at 8:10 AM, JBChiangRai said:

EV's are currently about 4-5 times cheaper to fuel than an ICE, so I don't think it will make much of a difference.

You vote democrats, don't you JB Chiang Rai (regarding your love of vegan leather)?

I have tried explaining just one of the downsides of an EV to you regarding the excess weight, but you just will not except any criticism about EVs.

Will you?

Edited by MartinBangkok
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/19/2024 at 9:15 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Due to low demand for electricity at night in Thailand many EV owners have TOU meters to charge their EVs with half price electricity.

MEATimeOfRate.jpeg.40daa3e42de3daba2c1ac4b92fff638c.jpeg

I use my home solar to charge my 2 EVs and an electric motorbike. I don’t have a meter.

And hows the second hand value of your car right now?

• Confused 1

On 7/19/2024 at 9:50 AM, JBChiangRai said:

My first thought is this, are there 5 or more units being rented where you are with the same landlord?  If so he is breaking the law, he cannot charge more that the rate he pays to PEA/MEA.

Even if you're paying 10 baht per unit, EV's are still cheaper than an ICE car.

On 7/19/2024 at 10:17 AM, CallumWK said:

Curiously, waiting for that answer as well, because I thought @Tropicalevo owns his properties

I own a couple of houses on a private development.

The developer owns the utilities infrastructure.

It is their only income.

The developer puts the price of electricity up at will.

Government utilities stop before the development.

20 minutes ago, MartinBangkok said:

You vote democrats, don't you JB Chiang Rai (regarding your love of vegan leather)?

I have tried explaining just one of the downsides of an EV to you regarding the excess weight, but you just will not except any criticism about EVs.

Will you?

By the way, I am not from our former colonies, so I couldn’t vote Democrat or Republic

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

20 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I own a couple of houses on a private development.

The developer owns the utilities infrastructure.

It is their only income.

The developer puts the price of electricity up at will.

Government utilities stop before the development.

If you have a Tabien Ban and your house was built with a Building Permit, you can request an electric supply from PEA/MEA.

The law is quite specific on your rights but a payment may be due to the owner of the roads for access.  Seek legal advice, you may not have to pay anything.  If there are 5 or more houses there, other laws might apply.

1 hour ago, MartinBangkok said:

And hows the second hand value of your car right now?

My BYD Seal has an 86kWh gross LFP battery and bi-directional charging.

I originally planned to just use it just for backup power in an emergency but it is so efficient that I’m using it every night and so greatly reducing the cycles on my solar batteries.

As a result I don’t have a PEA meter anymore and probably won’t have to replace my solar batteries in my lifetime.

The Seal’s battery is warrantied for 160,000km when it will have at least 70% capacity.

You really think I would consider selling my Seal?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

The Seal’s battery is warrantied for 160,000km when it will have at least 70% capacity.

And you think the company does not see how many cycles you battery had, and know how many cycles you get over 160K km?

8 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I originally planned to just use it just for backup power in an emergency but it is so efficient that I’m using it every night and so greatly reducing the cycles on my solar batteries.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you have a Tabien Ban and your house was built with a Building Permit, you can request an electric supply from PEA/MEA.

The law is quite specific on your rights but a payment may be due to the owner of the roads for access.  Seek legal advice, you may not have to pay anything.  If there are 5 or more houses there, other laws might apply.

Great in theory but we live in Thailand. :thumbsup:

There is a government road running through the development.

The PEA refuse to consider it. The developer has an 'agreement' with them.

PWA does not deliver water here either.

It was the same with telephone lines back in the day. We had to buy them from the developer.

When I first installed fibre optic for some customers, the developer made CAT remove them.

Do not get me wrong - I have no real complaints about the situation.

The view and location far exceed petty downsides. Happily lived here for 24 years.

I just wondered how an electric vehicle could be cheaper than a petrol one when there is no control over electricity costs.

On a development nearby, electricity was 29 baht per unit some 15 years ago.

image.jpeg.7cfc6b0d0041232676b13060bf6f6c54.jpeg

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Great in theory but we live in Thailand. :thumbsup:

There is a government road running through the development.

The PEA refuse to consider it. The developer has an 'agreement' with them.

PWA does not deliver water here either.

It was the same with telephone lines back in the day. We had to buy them from the developer.

When I first installed fibre optic for some customers, the developer made CAT remove them.

Do not get me wrong - I have no real complaints about the situation.

The view and location far exceed petty downsides. Happily lived here for 24 years.

I just wondered how an electric vehicle could be cheaper than a petrol one when there is no control over electricity costs.

On a development nearby, electricity was 29 baht per unit some 15 years ago.

image.jpeg.7cfc6b0d0041232676b13060bf6f6c54.jpeg

Have you ever sought legal advice over the supply of utilities?

Break even starts to occur at about 20 baht per unit for an EV.  Before that you would probably charge at PTT/Amazon's or somewhere similar.  I have a fried who can't charge at home and she does that once a week. I'm guessing that she pays about 9 baht per unit.

On 7/19/2024 at 10:10 AM, JBChiangRai said:

EV's are currently about 4-5 times cheaper to fuel than an ICE, so I don't think it will make much of a difference.

In your dreams

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, retarius said:

In your dreams

My EV is filled at home as I don't do journeys over 580km.

I don't have a PEA meter so all my power comes from excess solar in the middle of the day that would have been wasted

Cost to fill up my EV is nothing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

My EV is filled at home as I don't do journeys over 580km.

I don't have a PEA meter so all my power comes from excess solar in the middle of the day that would have been wasted

Cost to fill up my EV is nothing. 

Actually mine is free too, but I don't think Retardius would accept that argument

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1