House approves 122 billion baht digital wallet scheme budget

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-07-19-134150-1.jpg

The House of Representatives approved a supplementary bill to increase the budget for the current fiscal year by 122 billion baht, in a vote held late yesterday. This additional funding aims to partially finance the government’s digital wallet handout scheme.

A total of 297 MPs voted in favour of the bill, while 164 opposed it, with no abstentions recorded.

Among the absentees were 17 members of the government coalition, including Pheu Thai‘s Sutin Klungsang, Kriang Kantinan, and Chalerm Ubumrung; Palang Pracharath Party’s Prawit Wongsuwon and Thamanat Prompow; and Suchart Chomklin from the United Thai Nation Party. Additionally, five MPs from the opposition Move Forward Party (MFP), including its chief adviser Pita Limjaroenrat, and 10 MPs from the Democrat Party did not participate in the vote.

Opposition parties expressed their intent to vote against the bill in the next hearing, citing concerns that it violates the State Fiscal and Financial Discipline Act.

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin addressed the House before the vote, emphasising the necessity of the 122-billion-baht budget increase to stimulate the economy. He highlighted that the additional funds are essential to boost local economic activities, sustain consumption levels, and create new business opportunities.

“The current economic situation and budget constraints for the 2024 fiscal year necessitated this budget increase to expedite the launch of the digital wallet handout programme.”

The 62 year old PM detailed that 10 billion baht would come from tax collection, with the remaining amount covered by loans. This increase is expected to raise investment spending in the current fiscal budget from 17.1% to 22.4%. The Thai premier assured that the spending plan aligns with the State Fiscal and Financial Discipline Act, reported Bangkok Post.

Bhumjaithai leader Anutin Charnvirakul confirmed that Bhumjaithai MPs were among the 297 lawmakers who supported the bill.

“The bill received majority support in the House. The parties in the coalition government share a collective responsibility, so they have to support each other. In principle, coalition parties have to back any government policy that benefits the people.”

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of The Nation

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

OK let the country go down now..... see what will happen next year...... IT looks good that there is a peak maybe, but with the pay back and interest the burden will surely influence the budgets...

Or another possibility is that the Government is making an effort to have an insight of how many people should pay taxes and don't do it yet.. So these people will maybe get a tax paper next year

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

So these people will maybe get a tax paper next year

i am trying to understand your second point but i dont get it. how will giving k free money once in their lives going to tell clown face's team who needs to pay taxes?

17 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

The people have to apply and prove how much money in a bankaccount and how much they earn.. as 500k in bankaccounts and /or 70 k income are not rewarded.... and aa 75% of Thai people don't pay taxes. there is probably more tax money to find if they apply...

i usually read almost all the articles on AN. couple days they said there were 2 groups not eligible for the money... but in the article nothing about money in the bank or salary. i must have missed what you were referring to. i hope i can corroborate what you are saying but thanks for clarifying

Can anyone PM me with a citation of the Digital Wallet proposal in Thai language. Thai Wife and Daughter say they have heard nothing about this.

19 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

right now thai bht starting to do better... i hope clown face puts the final nail in the casket for the bht with his hair brain scheme.

Whenever I read sentiments like this, I assume that the author is having difficulty living comfortably with the exchange rate. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Can anyone explain to me what this is all about ?

They will pay the majority of people the CBDC equivalent of 10k baht to accept the CBDC
then they will tell you what you can and cannot spend your CBDC money on.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BuddyPish said:

Whenever I read sentiments like this, I assume that the author is having difficulty living comfortably with the exchange rate. 

what do you care? you are rich? you dont need to exchange money?

and no, i dont live comfortably with the exchange rate. are you posh?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

and /or 70 k income are not rewarded

So anyone earning just less than 6k per month will get <deleted> all?

17 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

i usually read almost all the articles on AN. couple days they said there were 2 groups not eligible for the money... but in the article nothing about money in the bank or salary. i must have missed what you were referring to. i hope i can corroborate what you are saying but thanks for clarifying

The scheme, targeting 16-year-old and older persons, will be ready to roll out once all measures ensuring safety are finalised, he said in a post on social platform X.

As per requirements, recipients of the 10,000-THB digital wallet handout should have turned 16 by September 30 and not have more than 500,000 THB in their bank accounts. They should also not have earned more than 840,000 THB in 2023 as per their tax filing.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, digger70 said:

The scheme, targeting 16-year-old and older persons, will be ready to roll out once all measures ensuring safety are finalised, he said in a post on social platform X.

As per requirements, recipients of the 10,000-THB digital wallet handout should have turned 16 by September 30 and not have more than 500,000 THB in their bank accounts. They should also not have earned more than 840,000 THB in 2023 as per their tax filing.

Seriously how many Thais would have a tax file number?

And the 20 or 30 million impoverished peasants who don't have an income of more than 5000฿ a year, and can't read or write, and don't have a bank account, and wouldn't know one end of a mobile phone or desktop computer from the other ... What's The Wallet going to do for them?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

Seriously how many Thais would have a tax file number?

A lot more than you seem to think, % of population registered as employed in Thailand is greater than that in the UK, 40 million out of 72 million as opposed to 33 million out of 67 million.

For individuals PIN and TIN will probably be the same.

22 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

And the 20 or 30 million impoverished peasants who don't have an income of more than 5000฿ a year, and can't read or write, and don't have a bank account, and wouldn't know one end of a mobile phone or desktop computer from the other ... What's The Wallet going to do for them?

In the last financial initiative, the bank and modern technology illiterates were given a card to show the vendor.

20 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

Have a listen to this. Hits the nail on the head. The WEF involved. 

Guy has no idea what he is talking about, apart from the fact that the WEF has a vested interest is suppressing anything that goes against their way of thinking. Anyone who says "correct me if I am wrong" hasn't done the homework.

The UK has been giving out "handouts" in the form of WFA for years, apart from the more recent cost of living handouts. Why didn't they take the UK to task, or is cost of living problems only recognised in the major  economies..

On 7/19/2024 at 9:45 PM, ikke1959 said:

The people have to apply and prove how much money in a bankaccount and how much they earn.. as 500k in bankaccounts and /or 70 k income are not rewarded.... and aa 75% of Thai people don't pay taxes. there is probably more tax money to find if they apply...

Yer, genius at work.

If you don't want to expose your financial status you quite simply do not register.

Anyway I doubt if this hair brain scheme gets off the ground.

Millions of baht have already been wasted and pocketed by officials so no need to carry it thru.

Put this plan to bed.

On 7/21/2024 at 9:47 AM, sandyf said:

Guy has no idea what he is talking about, apart from the fact that the WEF has a vested interest is suppressing anything that goes against their way of thinking. Anyone who says "correct me if I am wrong" hasn't done the homework.

The UK has been giving out "handouts" in the form of WFA for years, apart from the more recent cost of living handouts. Why didn't they take the UK to task, or is cost of living problems only recognised in the major  economies..

Sounds more like you have NO idea of what is happening. 

8 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

Sounds more like you have NO idea of what is happening. 

Been quite involved in all the finacial initiatives since they started in Aug 2020, so more than most, particularly interfering foreigners that have never participated.

• Confused 2