The Elite visa.....Does it have a purpose any more?

With the new 60 day plus 30 day extension tourist visa and the new favorable border run rules.....Does the Elite visa serve a purpose any more? I am not sure myself ?

• Haha 2

I upgraded my current 5 year membership to the 20 year option last year which means I can come and go at my leisure until 2040.

A one year stamp every time I arrive, even if it's just for a few weeks

Oh and for those who complain about 90 day reporting, you don't need to do that yourself, just send someone else - it's much easier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Oh and for those who complain about 90 day reporting, you don't need to do that yourself, just send someone else - it's much easier.

I don't do 90 day reporting. Never got fined and even if I ever do it's only 1900b per year.

Sending someone doesn't work if not in Bangkok. Still have to hand over and pick up passport from Thai elite offices.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Sending someone doesn't work if not in Bangkok. Still have to hand over and pick up passport from Thai elite offices.

Only extensions of stay need to be done by the passport holder.

90 day reports could be done by your cleaner if you want, also this is on any visa, not just the TE visa.

I suspect you're getting confused by the part where TE will go to Chaeng Wattana on your behalf - well anyone can do that on any visa, always could

Edited by ukrules

12 hours ago, Celsius said:

I don't do 90 day reporting. Never got fined and even if I ever do it's only 1900b per year.

I dont do 90 day reporting either, I send someone else.

Late reporting fine is Bt2000.00.

image.png.141b3fec134d5010306616782ab61aeb.png

Edited by Ralf001

16 hours ago, tarheeldan said:

I'm 39 so planning to get the 10-year to get me to 50 for the retirement visa. Expensive but brings certainty and convenience. The 5-year doesn't seem useful given the DTV. I have low confidence these new open border

measures will last 

But yet, here you are thinking that somehow Tourist (Elite) Visa holders will not get screwed.

Seems like long term visa holders are already whinging and whining.... 

oops

On 7/19/2024 at 7:16 PM, JBChiangRai said:

I have the 20 year Elite SE, the peace of mind is priceless.

Yes, certainty/peace of mind is the major benefit, as you and another poster well articulated. 

For anyone SURE they want to stay in Thailand, for a long time (5+ years), it's a great option.

For anyone who isn't certain they will stay for a long time, there are now better options. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/19/2024 at 1:30 PM, redwood1 said:

With the new 60 day plus 30 day extension tourist visa and the new favorable border run rules.....Does the Elite visa serve a purpose any more? I am not sure myself ?

It depends on your situation and needs. If you visit Thailand for the any purpose  outlined for that visa, you do not need the elite visa.

For the next 5 years, I do not see why anyone would buy the Elite visa.  I say 5, because we do not know if the DTV will be available 5 years from now.  But, for the next 5 years, there are two possible costs, depending on interpretation of use (in debate):

•  180 days / year only, unless you buy the extension every year = 20K Baht/year = 100K Baht for 5 years.  One border-run per-year this way.
  •  180 days for each entry = 10K Baht/year = 50K Baht for 5 years.  Two border-runs per-year this way.

So, it is 50-100K / 5 years for the DTV.  What is the elite now for 5 years?

• Like 1

I would still prefer to buy the 20 year Elite visa knowing with absolute certainty I am all set for 20 years.

In the unlikely event I am still alive at 82, I will look at other options. However, I am fairly sure this DTV won’t exist then.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I would still prefer to buy the 20 year Elite visa knowing with absolute certainty I am all set for 20 years.

You are delusional if you think your elite visa will make you set for 20 years with "absolute certainty".  I would say your elite gets you about 90% certainty.

Nothing in this world is certain--especially 20 years in the future in a corrupt 2nd world country.

Edited by Phillip9
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

You are delusional if you think your elite visa will make you set for 20 years with "absolute certainty".  I would say your elite gets you about 90% certainty.

Nothing in this world is certain--especially 20 years in the future in a corrupt 2nd world country.

We will have to disagree on that.  There are legal ramifications on the authorities curtailing benefits on that and that is why they let people upgrade with the old system.

If betting was permitted, I would happily bet on that visa not being curtailed.

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Exactly, you can't predict what will happen in 20 years. 

Also, even if DTV gets cancelled, you can always buy the Elite at a later date. 

Most people who already have the Elite will not admit that it may be an unecessary expense now that DTV has been released. 

Elite has always been a scam and now it is double.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

What is this thread? A 90 day torist visa will replace visas for continie stay of 5, 10, 20, etc

Is this a serious thread, or just those anti-elite using any excuse to have another go and on it goes

Even the DTV looks to not allow continued stay of 5 years, just 180 days in one year, and one more 180 days within a 5 year period

Can people live in reality on here!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, humbug said:

Even the DTV looks to not allow continued stay of 5 years, just 180 days in one year, and one more 180 days within a 5 year period

My reading suggests that the DTV allows as many 180 day stays as you like with no limitations. So you can fly(or drive) out June 30 and fly back July 1 and stay till December 31 when you can do the same again. You can even do one extension per year (in Bangkok only) so you only have to leave once a year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

My reading suggests that the DTV allows as many 180 day stays as you like with no limitations...

Correct.

To get the DTV, the applicant must meet certain criteria and therefore should not automatically be considered as a possible substitute for all other types of visas.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, humbug said:

What is this thread? A 90 day torist visa will replace visas for continie stay of 5, 10, 20, etc

Is this a serious thread, or just those anti-elite using any excuse to have another go and on it goes

In a tizzy. Elite Visa has always been a glorified tourist visa. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

In the unlikely event I am still alive at 82, I will look at other options. However, I am fairly sure this DTV won’t exist then.

You think they are going to cancel retirement-based extensions?  If you have the elite-money - easy to put a piece of that in the bank, then let an agent handle every year's extension (100% legally - no fake-funds), and not set your money on fire for nothing.

5 hours ago, humbug said:

... Even the DTV looks to not allow continued stay of 5 years, just 180 days in one year, and one more 180 days within a 5 year period

Reality is published in the Gazette - "unlimited" entries for 5 years.  180-days stamped in at each entry.  Even if you had to do a 10K extension every year for the 2nd 180 days - it is still a bargain vs the "elite".

33 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

You think they are going to cancel retirement-based extensions?  If you have the elite-money - easy to put a piece of that in the bank, then let an agent handle every year's extension (100% legally - no fake-funds), and not set your money on fire for nothing.

Reality is published in the Gazette - "unlimited" entries for 5 years.  180-days stamped in at each entry.  Even if you had to do a 10K extension every year for the 2nd 180 days - it is still a bargain vs the "elite".

I don’t think they will cancel the retirement visa, but I do think the 800,000 will go up to 2 or 2.5 million at some point in the next 20 years.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

Correct.

To get the DTV, the applicant must meet certain criteria and therefore should not automatically be considered as a possible substitute for all other types of visas.

Requirement 500,000 thai baht, which not everyone has, but anyone who can afford an Elite Visa does have.

Also, you need proof of an online business, but when they iron out the "Soft Power" option, anyone with 500,000 baht will qualify. 

that's my understanding. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1