Depositing/cashing A Us-drawn Cashier's Check In Thailand

I have received a cashier's check drawn from a U.S. bank (Met Life) at my sister's address in the States. She will be mailing the check to me shortly.

Could someone explain the procedure, including the fees charged (the check totals just under USD $1,100), for either cashing or depositing it into either of my local Thai bank accounts? I have savings accounts with Siam Commercial Bank and Bangkok Bank. Is it easier/less expensive at one bank over the other one?

Also, which is the best way for my sister to send this check from America -- registered/certified U.S. mail or FedEx? (I'd want to be able to track it online...)

Thanks in advance.

I have received a cashier's check drawn from a U.S. bank (Met Life) at my sister's address in the States. She will be mailing the check to me shortly.

Could someone explain the procedure, including the fees charged (the check totals just under USD $1,100), for either cashing or depositing it into either of my local Thai bank accounts? I have savings accounts with Siam Commercial Bank and Bangkok Bank. Is it easier/less expensive at one bank over the other one?

Also, which is the best way for my sister to send this check from America -- registered/certified U.S. mail or FedEx? (I'd want to be able to track it online...)

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, no way for your sister to deposit it to an account you have in the U.S., then later draw down on it here via ATM?  FYI, I have a joint account with my sister in Oregon, handy for such.

Absent that, reckon FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc, the best way to send your check over here.  You should check, tho, with the local agent that they do deliver to your address.  I live a bit outside Bangkok, FedEx delivers to the house, UPS doesn't, haven't tried the others.

Then depositing a cashiers check made out to you in your local SCB or Bangkok Bank should work, I'd think.  Have not tried that for many years.  Last time was complicated so I just snail mailed it back to the U.S. for deposit.   I'd also think you'd need to wait the "normal" 45 days after deposit for the check to clear before you have access to the funds, same as with a deposit of a $$ personal check drawn on your U.S. account.

Mac

an SCB user for lots of years

It would be better for her to deposit the check in a stateside bank if you have one. Thier is a commission that the banks charge here and a 45 day waiting period before they credit it to your account. I once recieved two cashiers checks from the states. the first I deposited it here and the second I sent to my stateside bank via mail for deposit.

Barry

The last time I inquired at Bangkok Bank they wanted $32 to cash a US check. And 30 days for the funds to become available. As the US has electronic check cashing and Bangkok Bank has a US branch am sure they can do via electronic means without even sending the check back to US and find the fee far too high. I did not try to bargain but believe that may be possible. I will just continue to send checks back to US bank for deposit. As checks can be replaced if lost it is not that great a risk.