Piastri wins Hungarian Grand Prix as Norris belatedly hands back lead in McLaren intra-team

EmmaH

Oscar Piastri has taken his debut Grand Prix victory in Hungary after intra-team drama played out, with McLaren team mate Lando Norris belatedly responding to an order to hand back the lead to the Australian who had lost out due to the team’s pit stop strategy.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article/piastri-wins-hungarian-grand-prix-as-norris-belatedly-hands-back-lead-in.70F4mNzYrbmvNYaj8KXm18

Thanks for the spoiler!

I avoid news and F1 sites on race days as I like to watch the action in the evening rather than waste precious UK summer afternoons, but never imagined I would see an unmissable banner headline on here that completely spilled the beans.

Will you be doing this on a regular basis?

Edited by London Lowf
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Thanks for the spoiler!

I avoid news and F1 sites on race days as I like to watch the action in the evening rather than waste precious UK summer afternoons, but never imagined I would see an unmissable banner headline on here that completely spilled the beans.

Will you be doing this on a regular basis?

Watch it live or suffer the consequences.

20 hours ago, EmmaH said:

Oscar Piastri has taken his debut Grand Prix victory in Hungary after intra-team drama played out, with McLaren team mate Lando Norris belatedly responding to an order to hand back the lead to the Australian who had lost out due to the team’s pit stop strategy.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article/piastri-wins-hungarian-grand-prix-as-norris-belatedly-hands-back-lead-in.70F4mNzYrbmvNYaj8KXm18

Lando definitely gained a great advantage from the team strategy (around lap 48?). What I don't understand (but I'm willing to be advised by F1 aficionados) is why he didn't let Oscar swap places earlier, then they could have raced each other in the remaining 22 laps to the finish.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Lando definitely gained a great advantage from the team strategy (around lap 48?). What I don't understand (but I'm willing to be advised by F1 aficionados) is why he didn't let Oscar swap places earlier, then they could have raced each other in the remaining 22 laps to the finish.

Agreed. Big mistake by Norris in my opinion.